News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

HDTV systems at Flanners

Started by flash, Wednesday Mar 06, 2002, 12:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flash

I just recieved a flyer in the mail last night from Flanners.  The flyer says that they will install HDTV Direct TV and OTA with the STB included for $499...
Anybody have any comments or thoughts or Warnings before I make the plunge to finally make use of my Sony 51HW40 like it was meant to be used.

------------------

Todd Wiedemann

A couple of things to think about.

1 - Programming committment. Please looks at DirecTV's website (www.directv.com) and familiarize yourself with the packages. This is a good deal because the dealers get an incentive for your one-year committment.

2 - Installation. You're probably already familiar with this, but the dish (an 18"x24" elliptical) needs to point south/southwest. Many installers will not route the cables nicely. By this I mean in walls. Many times they simply button the cable to exterior walls and punch through at the TV location.

I may think of more as the afternoon wears on, but at least this is a start for others to chime in on.

Todd Wiedemann

Also, I've had real good experiences with Paul Hugdahl at Flanners.

Please let whomever you deal with at Flanner's know that you are an active member of this group.

Awareness is good !!

flash

I have done business with BB, CC, American and Flanners over the years and Flanners "seemed" to be the most reliable and technically correct of the group.  A major concern of mine is (like you noted) that the quality of installation is that I've come to expect when dealing with Flanners.  If the installation is "Generic" I'm back to whoever can give me the best price!  I'm kinda leaning towards the Toshiba DST3000 STB ~$525 from One Call but I'm really interested on everyones input in this group which seems to be very helpful.

------------------
Gordy M.

[This message has been edited by flash (edited 03-06-2002).]

SteveClemetson

With regards to Flanners, for the most part I've found them on average to be highly competent and knowledgeable with regards to home audio and video.  Though, I did have to explain to one of their salespeople that you could, in fact, pick up HD via UHF -- he argued that you could only get it over DirecTV.  Unfortunately, I've also found the sales staff at Flanners to be fairly arrogant and condescending.  I've spent several thousands of dollars there, and at one point had a lengthy telephone conversation with John Flanner about my poor experiences there.  I was prepared to buy my HDTV at Flanners, but the attitude I received from the sales guy made me spend my money at American.  But I digress...

My biggest recommendation if you get a dish is to make sure that it is a triple LNB dish.  From what I've read, there are plans for HD signals from the satellites in both the 110 and 119 orbital slots, with the SD content coming from the 101.

flash

I usually purchase from whomever is delivering the best purchase price.  Where
"locally" would be a good place to purchase these 3 LNB dishes. Everyone seems to be offering a dual LNB dish.

[This message has been edited by flash (edited 03-07-2002).]

SteveClemetson

I can't say for sure where would be the best place, as I'm not (at the moment) looking for a dish.  While I was in American the other day, I noticed that the 2 LNB dishes appear to be slotted for a third LNB in the center.  If I were getting a dish right now, I'd try to get whomever I was buying from to throw in that extra LNB if it wasn't already included.

Matt Heebner

I have heard though that the LNB to be used for the third slot is a special one. The cable is supposed to be di-plexed into one of the other LNBs RG-6 run. I cannot find where I read it though or the exact details. I wouldn't worry about whether or not it's a double or a triple holder. I think that it will be easy to swap out when (or if) the time comes. (Of course this is assuming that you can get to the dish easy enough.)

Matt

Steve Mann

If anyone does choose Flanner's, request that Jeff Burback does the install. I've had him here twice and he does EXCEPTIONAL work. He is very meticulous and goes the extra mile every time. I couldn't recommend anyone more.

He does work independently of Flanner's also. If anyone would like his number, email me at stevemann@milwaukeehdtv.org

Additionally, the Sat C kit does use existing cables. It comes with combiner for this purpose. One place it can be had is here: http://www.htmarket.com/satlnbupkit.html

I'm sure it can be had a bit cheaper, but this was the first place I found after searching.
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

flash

Steve,
Is your home a ranch or 2 story 'cause I own a 2 story and I am a little concerned about installation from an earlier posting from Todd.  From what you've said so far he sounds like the person I want to install my system.  What type of STB are you using? Any recommendations in that department?

------------------
Gordy M.

Matt Heebner

I found some info over at AVSForum....

<>
Satellite 110° will be offering select High Definition (HD) broadcasts. The number of HD programs offered from 110° will be increasing in the future. In order to access this satellite, you'll need to add a special Single Output LNB to the DIRECTV Multi-Satellite Dish in order to obtain programming.
<>

There seems to be two camps of people to this thinking. Those who think there will be at some point HD from the 110. and those who do not think there will anything HD from the 110. Like I said before, I don't think you have to worry about it now.

Matt

tenth_t2

Flash,

I wouldn't be too concerned about the single vs two story issue, signal strength is not affected by height like the old OTA antenna's of the past.  Really your 1st concern should be line of sight obstructions to the various satelites-- and future obstructions like trees!  

2nd-- I'd think about asthetics-- few people even see my dish, yet it's got a unobstructed view, is not way at the top of my house, actually quite sheltered from wind & snow.

3rd--I'd consider ease of cabling.  The sooner you get it into the house, the better for the RG6 cable with regards to exposure to the elements.

Which each of those in mind, do a walk around and see which location fits best with all three.  I'd bet that Jeff B. goes through a similar process in his mind, and sometimes even offers a choice if asthetics are an issue.

Todd's comments are probably typical-- the less cable, and the easier the install the better!  My neighbor was having problems (spotted me on the roof messin' around) with his signal cutting in and out all the time.  I couldn't believe the clips attaching the cable to the vinly siding, then as Todd said, straight hole into house where the TV was!  Ick!  Oh, his problem?  Loose LNB head, wiggled in the wind!  A few turns of the ol' 7/16" wrench, problem solved.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you find all of our advice helpful, that's really why we're all here!

Greg O.

flash

Thanks Greg,
You had several very valid points LIKE TREES that I hadn't considered.(Sometimes it's hard to remember that that tree IS going to grow!) This forum has already helped me so much that with every post I'm getting that much closer to enjoying my HDTV "window". I've read that Toshibas DST3000 STB is quiet, has fast menus, onscreen caller ID, great sound and picture quality.  I've also read that they have been having issues with their update/upgrade procedures but the more recent posts seem that this issue seems to have been resolved.  I guess I will probably feel better purchasing from a local distributor (return issues). I know that the new line of STB's are coming out with DVI and Firewire ports. I'm just trying to limit my choices to what's available right now. Please let me know if you have any input or recomendations.
Thanks

------------------
Gordy M.

[This message has been edited by flash (edited 03-06-2002).]

SteveMiller

For $499, this sounds like its most likely the RCA DTC-100, and a good deal... Just remeber that the DTC-100 needs a VGA to Componant box that will run you $100 to $200....

Steve

Tom Snyder

QuoteIf anyone does choose Flanner's, request that Jeff Burback does the install.

Is Jeff the subcontractor from Ozaukee County? When I bought my DirecTV Dish and a second box from Flanner's, the guy they sent out did an EXCELLENT job. He was from Saukville or Pt. Washington I think. I would have used him again when I moved in November, but I lost his card.  
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org