News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Off topic but--what audio equipment to you have

Started by mcneguy, Thursday Feb 21, 2002, 09:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcneguy

To go along with your HDTV?

Me:

Integra Research RDC-7 Preamp
Bryston 4B-ST for fronts
Marantz MA500 monoblocks for center and rears
Rotel RB981 for center surrounds
Pioneer Elite DV-37 DVD
Aerial Acoustic front speakers
Paradigm Reference center and surrounds

Everything with the execption of the Aerial speakers and the Pioneer Elite DVD purchased at the Audio Emporium (great guys)Television is the Mits 46807 from Oak Creek American that I purchased from a very knowledgeable guy named Johnny Bravo (I swear it's true)

SteveMiller

Harmon/Kardon AVR 310
Fronts: Infinity IL40
Center: "      " IL36C
Rears: "      " IL10
Sub:   "      " IL100s
Toshiba SD2300 DVD Player
Sony Ultimate TV

and my Nintindo Game Cube!!

kjnorman

Toshiba 50HX81
(No set tob box  )

Everything below came with me from the UK when I moved.
Yamaha DSP-A1
Main: Ruark Prologue One
Center: Ruark Dialogue One
Rear: Ruark Epilogue Reference
Sub: Rel Strata III
Sony S7700 DVD (Chipped - Multiregion)

The Yamaha, Rel and Sony all run quite successfully from a step up transformer.

I would love to go the separates route as I know my speakers are capable of much more than the Yamaha feeds into it.  I have tested them with the Tag McLaren AV32R Processor and Primare A30.5 amp before and they sounded beautiful.  Alas, since then I have got married, so I need say no more    

Kerry

[This message has been edited by kjnorman (edited 02-22-2002).]

[This message has been edited by kjnorman (edited 03-13-2002).]

Matt Heebner

Wow, you guys have some great stuff. Me:
55" Mits WS55807
Sony DB-930 receiver
Panny RP-56 DVD player
RCA DTC-100 Sat. receiver
Paradigm Titans (soon to be mini-monitors)
Paradigm CC-170 center (soon to be a CC-370)
Paradigm Atoms surrounds
Velodyne CT-120 subwoofer

Seriously considering moving into a Denon 2802 receiver or a Onkyo Integra 5.2 receiver. I also want to get into a SACD player, but kind of waiting for prices to drop just a little. (See, I am not always a early adopter)
And I agree that Audio Emporium is a great place!!! My wife has banned me from going there!

Matt

------------------
My wife looked at the new STB sitting on the rack and she asked me,"This is never going to end, is it?"

[This message has been edited by Matt Heebner (edited 02-22-2002).]

mcneguy

My wife actually has told me to stay away as well but I do sneak out there.  Gotta get some Echobusters to deaden my room and wouldn't you know, they sell them!!

JoeK

My audio system consists of:

Anthem AVM2 Preamp/Processor/Tuner
Anthem MCA5 200 Watt X 5 Channel Amplifier
Theil SCS3 L/C/R Main Speakers
Theil Power Point Speakers (rear surround)
NHT SS2PI Powered Subwoofer

I'm very pleased with the system. The surrounds are on the wall next to the second row of seating pointed up at the ceiling. The main speakers are under the screen. The sub is in a front corner.

I worked with Sound Designs in Mequon on this and the cable and wire. I needed quite a bit of pulling of cable behind and above drywall.

(Note to spouses. Insists your husband swear he will not visit the Sound Designs showrooms or talk with the owner Jack Schroeder.)

I'm not the best person to judge sound systems. My proof came when two guys who had recently done surround system at their houses were over. They left swearing and mumbling some thing about they wish they had never seen or heard this and this visit was going to cost them a bundle.

Joe

kjnorman

Arrhhhhhhh!

This is beginning to sound like a support group for married men....

Now if only someone could tell me, how to negotiate the purchase of that set top box with my beloved, so that she doesn't veto all the "toys" I would like to buy  

Kerry

mcneguy

Here's what you do.  Call her at work and tell her that you just purchased your HDTV tuner and you can't believe how clear it is.  If she says "really?" then go out and buy it, if she has a fit, stay away from it for a while and try it again in a couple of months.

Remember..It is always easier to beg for forgivness than to ask for permission.

kjnorman

QuoteOriginally posted by mcneguy:
Here's what you do.  Call her at work and tell her that you just purchased your HDTV tuner and you can't believe how clear it is.  If she says "really?" then go out and buy it, if she has a fit, stay away from it for a while and try it again in a couple of months.

Remember..It is always easier to beg for forgivness than to ask for permission.

LOL!

If only it was that easy!  I said I was going to buy a VCR (as I needed a US tuner for my *then* UK tely) and returned home with a TiVo.  She had a fit!  We weren't even married then...  With in two weeks she loved it  

Then after I got my Toshiba 50HX81 (as the UK set died after an electical storm - guess it did not like a voltage spike though my transformer) I realised that I needed to improve the quality of the Tivo feed to a 50inch screen and started to record every thing at "best" quality.  So being down to 9 hours of recording capacity, I got an 80gb harddisk and upgraded it to 35 hours of recording capability.  MAJOR GRIEF !!  She was like "but we'll never watch it all!"

Ironically, the TiVo has been wonderful during the olympics.  Fast forward the boring stuff and ads and just watch the fun stuff.  Still would like to see it in HiDef.

I did catch some of the olympics in hidef at the Milwaukee home improvement show.  A couple of exhibitors were demonstrating HDTV in there home installs.  Guess that would have been the first time a lot of people would have seen hidef, but that is another thread....  I tried to convince my wife that this was how good my set COULD look like!  She still was not convinced.

Her resolve will break one day, but I need more stations in HiDef before I can convince her.  Its the old chicken and egg scenario..

Anyway I've been rambling.  Ever so off topic.  I'll stop now.

Kerry

Matt Heebner

If it's a "black box", then my wife doesn't even notice. Something large like a RPTV, well yea, I asked her. When she does finally realize that I've bought some piece of equipment, I usually tell her.."Oh that, I got that months ago."
We have seperate bank accounts and split the bills up. That way as long as the bills get paid, I don't question her purchases, and she doesn't (hardly) question mine. We've had it like this for almost eight years and it seems to work for us.

Matt

------------------
My wife looked at the new STB sitting on the rack and she asked me,"This is never going to end, is it?"

RickNeff

I guess I'm lucky...my wife actually helped push me towards getting a big screen TV after she saw one of her co-worker's sets.  She notices things like the difference between HDTV and otherwise, but she certainly isn't as "into it" as I am.

I also agree that separate accounts is probably a good idea -- I've found it dramatically cuts down on spending arguments, if both spouses work.  Big purchases are something that can always be shared of course, but the impulse sort of buying doesn't face the sort of scrutiny it would if it were shared expenses. (Although, sometimes that impulse buying ability could be a major disadvantage!)

------------------
Richard Neff
Proud Toshiba 56x81 owner!

Matt Heebner

I agree. We havent had an argument about money in literally years. Big purchases are always a joint agreement though, but not always a joint purchase.

Matt

------------------

sarusk

Matt,
You mention upgrading your receiver to a Denon or Intergra, give any thought to the Marantz? I am considering picking up the 7200 soon over the Integra 6.2. It received a lot of good reviews. Any thoughts? Before considering the 5.2 you should check this out:
 http://www.integrahometheater.com/article_top.cfm?id=31

FWD

My setup:

B&W 602s (L/R)
B&W center (forgot the designation but it's the match for the 602s)
L/R/C are all built into the screen wall
B&W Solids full range speakers mounted above and behind seating area for l/r surround
Hsu VTF subwoofer with 250 w dedicated amp
Adcom 6000 5 channel amp for L/R/C/surrounds
Marantz AV 550 preamp/processor
Dish 6000 with OTA module
Various other input sources

Video is a Sony VPL-W400Q LCD projector to an 88" (16:9) Dalite screen

Not "top of the line" in anything, but a very carefully put together room.  I bought much of it used off the internet as I've developed an aversion to salespeople and retail prices.  I have never had anyone see a movie in my theater who didn't tell me it was a better experience than any commercial theater they had ever been in.

But what I REALLY want is HD sports!

tenth_t2

FWD,

I see you have a Dish6000, are you able to get HDNet?  I thought that was mostly sports, and thought I saw them re-running some of the Olympic stuff in addition to other things.

Greg O.