News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Visit to Best Buy

Started by mcneguy, Saturday Mar 02, 2002, 09:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcneguy

Now I know that it is getting boring to continually bash guys like this but my experience last night was just too funny to keep to myself.

I was in the Racine area with some time to kill and I needed to look at some digital cameras so I wandered in to the Best Buy.

After finding their selection of digital cameras pretty much unacceptable I decided to look for HDTV tuners as I am thinking of ditching TWC and erecting my own antenna.  I'm looking through the section when the standard 16 year old geeknoid approaches me.  Normally I avoid these people but today I asked "Do you have any HDTV tuners that will work to pick up digital stations over the air and not with DirecTV"  He replied "You cannot get HDTV with an antenna, you have to have satellite"  I assured him that he was wrong but he insisted.

I'm sure after work he went to his "Teens Without Girlfriends Masturbation Meeting" and told everyone there "You wouldn't believe this guy today, he actually thinks you can get HDTV by putting up an antenna".

It probably isn't his fault, they simply do not train these people except how to sell idiotic service agreements and MSN.

Matt Heebner

I don't expect much from BB employees. I almost argued with a teen worker there once on whether a VGA to RBGHV cable existed. (I already had one, but needed a longer one)He tries telling me that they don't exist, that there is no such cable. I try telling him that I already have one...yes they do exist.
He kept insisting that it was impossible. I asked to see the manager of that particular department and guess what...yep, he is the manager.
For CD's and DVD's, sure Best Buy is great. For equipment, TV's...I wouldn't shop there.
Like I said, I just don't expect much from them.

Matt

FWD

I used to get irritated by the BB, CC, American, etc. clerks who didn't have a clue.  Occasionally I'd even intervene as some customer was being told some utterly incorrect "factoid" about why they should buy some product.  But over time, I've decided that if customers aren't willing to do at least a LITTLE research of their own, then I'm not going to worry about them being lambs at the slaughter.

It's SO easy these days, particularly but not solely through the internet, to educate yourself enough to at least ask the right questions -- but every time I wander into one of those places I see the same vacant stares by consumers buying the same lines of bull.

And we wonder why it's taking so long to convert to HD.

BTW, the last time a guy at BB tried to sell me a service contract -- $40 on a computer monitor that with rebates cost me $90, I ran through the math with him and pointed out it would be exactly like paying $8000 for COLLISION insurance on an $18000 car that you never intended to take out of your driveway.  His mouth dropped open as he started to grasp this and I walked to the checkout with my monitor.

mcneguy

I can't believe that I am doing this but let me defend the American employees.  It seems in the last year or so American (at least in the TV department, everything they sell audio wise just sucks) is getting their act together, I have gotten good information there.

SteveMiller

Please lets not lump all salespeople together...

The people at BB or CC could care less what you buy, as long as you get a Service Plan with it... So you shouldn't go there for product knowledge...

And if you get bad information from a salesperson, just ignore them and goto the next one... You schould be able to tell quickly if the sales guy is trying to snow you...

And remember, its not Customer vs Salesman... too many people come in with the idea that we have some magic power over your pocket book and that if you even make eye contact with us you end up getting screwed... No matter what is said, YOU the customer is ultimatly in control of what is bought and not... So please.. be a bit more Friendly to us.. I bet you wouldn't like to work with Grumpy People all day?!

Some people still do take pride in there job, no matter what it is...

Thanks for the support mcneguy.

(Sorry the Audio Sucks, I just sell TVs)

- Steve Miller

[This message has been edited by SteveMiller (edited 03-02-2002).]

RickNeff

I would agree that it is bad to assume that all salespeople are of the same quality, regardless of where they work.  I know I'd personally want to buy from someone who, like Steve, spends time on this forum.  If nothing else, it shows that someone like that is willing to take the time on their own to be active in the HDTV "community."

In defense of salespeople, having worked as one in my college years at Radio Shack a mere 12 or so years ago, individual "bad customer" stories are as easily found as "bad salesmen" stories.  I'm sure Steve could relate instances of customers ignoring advice only to return and complain loudly that the salesman gave them wrong advice.

However, I think the biggest gripe with BB, Circuit City, and even American, is that any salesperson from any part of the store can pretty much offer advice to a customer without any real qualifications to do so.  Personally, I think it would be wise for these stores to actually have training programs with particular technologies and having ways to show the customer, who has had that training.

Of course, it's always wise for a customer to do as much research about a topic before even entering a store.  I agree with previous posts that highlight this point.  I know that I tend to avoid salespeople in stores  since I've spent the time to do research on my own. (Of course, I'm anti-social anyway...)

------------------
Richard Neff
Proud Toshiba 56x81 owner!

SteveClemetson

Best Buy is good for "loss leader" products like CDs and DVDs, and any other item that doesn't require salessperson interaction.  One of the last times I was in there picking up an Xbox game, one of the kids that works there told me "you want to buy a memory card".  I advised him that I did not want a memory card, as the Xbox has a hard drive.  He said "yeah, but every time you save to it you increase the chance that you'll crash your Xbox by 5% -- that comes straight from Microsoft."  I didn't even respond, I just turned and walked away.  I can pretty much count on a display of ignorance like this every time a BB "blue shirt" opens their mouth.

I have had generally very good experiences at American.

On the subject of service contracts, it is my opinion that they are statistically very bad "bets".  At a minimum of 5% of the item's purchase price, you have to ask yourself -- Is there a 5% chance that this unit is going to fail during the time that I own it?  I, myself, wouldn't purchase a component where 1 out of every 20 units goes bad.  Still, I don't hold it against salepeople who advise me of their availability (ala American), so long as they don't try to push them down my throat (ala BB).

Finally, on the subject of general HD ignorance:  As I stated in a post back when were on the Yahoo group, one of our jobs is to educate people (friends, coworkers, even salespeople) about HD.  It is such a mystery to many people.  You should have seen the looks of amazement and disbelief at Radio Shack as I explained that you can pick up HD with a UHF antenna...

Matt Heebner

I am going to defend American as well. Over the years my wife and I have bought furniture, TV's, VCR's, DVD players, a computer, Etc. from American. I basically have had nothing but good experiences. The salesguys, while sometimes pushy, always did the most they could to make the sale. I always benefitted with free delivery, free extended warrenties, stuff thrown in for free.
The extended warrenty thing, almost never buy it. If it is a item that my kids could destroy (like a VCR) yes I get it. With my RPTV, the salesguy gave me a three year extended for free to make the sale, but I think I would have bought it anyway just for piece of mind.
With other electronics, I don't. A good rule of thumb regarding electronics....If they don't break in the first 90 days, they probably won't break at all. (or atleast until old age gets them)

Matt

------------------
My wife looked at the new STB sitting on the rack and she asked me,"This is never going to end, is it?"