News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

WDJT CBS HD temporarily SD

Started by DanDyer, Sunday May 04, 2008, 12:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanDyer

Due to a failure in our Dolby Audio Encoding equipment, we have had to change the HD to an SD feed.  We hope to have the equipment replaced in a day or two, depending on availability.
Dan Dyer
Chief Engineer

tbarney

Thanks for the notice.

Any chance this replacement equipment will allow you to scroll a weather notice without dropping to SD ?

Mikey

Speaking of weather notice, did I see Channel 24 in HD scroll a tornado warning accross the top while in HD last week?

I think I did.  

I may have been dreaming...

(Seriously, I'm not sure if I really saw it or imagined it...)

cdnelson

You saw it.  I had Smackdown on Friday night DVR'd and the weather notices came across without dropping the picture into SD.

Although...the first 20-25 minutes were like watching stop motion animation.  Not sure if that was the weather notices mucking up the feed, or a problem with TWC.  I didn't think much of it since it cleared up.

SRW1000

Quote from: DanDyer;46220Due to a failure in our Dolby Audio Encoding equipment, we have had to change the HD to an SD feed.  We hope to have the equipment replaced in a day or two, depending on availability.
Dan Dyer
Chief Engineer
Dan, I've been noticing that some of the SD programming on 58.1 has had the crackling/hissing problem that was happening a while back.  This has been particularly noticeable on the late Saturday night Star Trek episodes that I've been DVRing.

Is this equipment failure related to this problem, or is there another cause.  I thought that the last time this came up it was related to the encoder levels that were recommended by CBS.  (Sorry, this is from memory, so I could be way off base).

Scott

DanDyer

As of approximate 11:30am this morning, the HD audio has been restored and we have returned to our HD programming.
Dan Dyer

jjallou

Quote from: DanDyer;46308As of approximate 11:30am this morning, the HD audio has been restored and we have returned to our HD programming.
Dan Dyer

Thanks Dan! Glad you could get it up & running again.

DanDyer

You're Welcome!  Thanks for being patient.
Dan

Danno321

Quote from: tbarney;46221Thanks for the notice.

Any chance this replacement equipment will allow you to scroll a weather notice without dropping to SD ?

The CONSTANT weather banners for this past storm were irritating on all local channels.  Would this be done for a Packer game too?  Basically ruined the French Open Final viewing.

Mikey

What is REALLY bothering me with the weather warnings are this:

On TWC, we were geting the black & white tornado warning with audio...fine.  Tonrado warnings are important and need to be seen.

But then, 5 or 10 mins after each one...there was a scroll at the bottom of the screen put there by TWC I believe with audio with the exact same warning.

I think I one stretch of about 35 mins, I had 6 warnings.  3 black & white, 3 repeated TWC warnings...all of which override the audio of the program, like we can't read...and they aren't quick blurbs, they last a good amount of time.

These TWC blurbs even show up if you watch pre-recorded shows.  I watched a Top Gear episode from weeks ago and got the current tornado warnings over that as well.  I couldn't get away from them.  My cure was to pop in a Blu Ray and be done with the oodles of warnings.

It just seemed like overkill to me...:confused:

John L

Quote from: Mikey;46817What is REALLY bothering me with the weather warnings are this:

On TWC, we were geting the black & white tornado warning with audio...fine.  Tonrado warnings are important and need to be seen.

But then, 5 or 10 mins after each one...there was a scroll at the bottom of the screen put there by TWC I believe with audio with the exact same warning.

:

Thats weird. TWC usually don't do that with local channels since they provide all the local weather. I can see all other channels like 7, 10, 16, 18, 19,  22, and 24 since they don't do weather loacally.

gb4fan92

Okay I posted in the wrong thread.  Hopefully this thread works!  Anyone else having trouble getting 58-1 and 58-2?  Haven't seemed to get this in a few weeks. I  get 58-3 METV just fine.  This effects my Sunday HD football fix.

John L

I never heard of someone not able to get 58-1 and 58-2, but they can get 58-3?

Its the same digital signal, so all multiple channels should be there at the sametime.  Perhaps something wrong with your tuner not decoding the channels properly?

-John L.

gb4fan92

Quote from: John L;48407I never heard of someone not able to get 58-1 and 58-2, but they can get 58-3?

Its the same digital signal, so all multiple channels should be there at the sametime.  Perhaps something wrong with your tuner not decoding the channels properly?

-John L.

Thanks for responding. Looks like this problem is on my end  not locally. I just needed to verify that I was the only one not getting the stations. I'll start trouble shooting by unhooking the tuner and then rehooking it up and doing a rescan. Funny I get all the other digital channels. :huh?:

Talos4

I'M NOT ALONE!!!!:rock:

I have the exact same problem for about the last two + weeks.

58-1,2 on my HR21-700/AM-21 just searches for signal. 58-3 is  fine.

Football fix indeed!

I have no idea what's going on.