News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Signal Issues?

Started by grenier, Wednesday Apr 18, 2012, 10:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brewtownska

Quote from: grenier;58495Things have been considerably better but I've been having weird things happen. Every few days the analog tvs get a fuzzy picture and if I check the the modem log it shows:

Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received  

The levels at the tv are ok but it's showing corrected and uncorrected errors. It seems the signal level is dropping pretty low.

My thought is that it's an outside issue. It's actually happening right now, my Internet/phone just died for a minute.

Anyone have any ideas?

I fought with TWC about the same critical error you mentioned above (Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging), but they don't believe it is of concern.  I see the error, usually within a 10-15 minute range of when my internet connection temporarily dies.  Anytime I call with problems, they say I'm online, and it must be my router.  I've had the problem off and on for 9 years since I moved to this house.  They've replaced the line into the house and all wiring, all done 6-7 years ago.  I've gone through 2 routers, new computers, new modems...yet the random dropouts still exist.  They've been out a few times to check levels and never find anything wrong.  Common sense says I should go somewhere else, but the price/speed I get at TWC is better than what I've seen elsewhere, so doesn't seem worth changing.

Typically if I reboot my modem, I can connect again right away, so not sure if you've tried that and if it helps.

If you eventually find any link between the modem errors and your issue, please let us know.  I may be able to use that info to help get my issue fixed at some point as well.

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

grenier

I think I'm going to see if they can monitor my signal for awhile. It seems like it's getting more frequent as the weather gets warmer, I'm not sure if there's any correlation. I've had the error three times in the last week.
Cisco 8640HDC

Jack 1000

Quote from: brewtownska;58499I fought with TWC about the same critical error you mentioned above (Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging), but they don't believe it is of concern.  I see the error, usually within a 10-15 minute range of when my internet connection temporarily dies.  Anytime I call with problems, they say I'm online, and it must be my router.  I've had the problem off and on for 9 years since I moved to this house.  They've replaced the line into the house and all wiring, all done 6-7 years ago.  I've gone through 2 routers, new computers, new modems...yet the random dropouts still exist.  They've been out a few times to check levels and never find anything wrong.  Common sense says I should go somewhere else, but the price/speed I get at TWC is better than what I've seen elsewhere, so doesn't seem worth changing.

Typically if I reboot my modem, I can connect again right away, so not sure if you've tried that and if it helps.

If you eventually find any link between the modem errors and your issue, please let us know.  I may be able to use that info to help get my issue fixed at some point as well.

Mike

Mike I am going to forward this issue to my TWC tech guys and see what they say.  Grenier. same with your issue.  (They go out and fix TWC screw ups!)

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Jack 1000

Mike and Grenier,

With regards to your Signal issues above--

My response from my TWC Senior Tech friend:

Upstream return noise, which are SNR/FEC issue's. If the SNR on the return drops below >25db=problem below >20db offline modem. Corrected FEC 5%> problem 15-20%> failed  packet transmission. Un-corrected 3%> Failed packet transmission.

These are things that the modem software does not report, these people need to have the Techs involved check history in Big Brother or better yet Serve Assure.

Also with Return issue's SDV/VOD will not work correctly, keep that in mind.

Here is ServeAssure's homepage for more information:

http://www.arrisi.com/products/product.asp?id=47

I would recommend submitting this to a Level 3 or higher supervisory tech.  Give him the signal specifics and recommendations mentioned above.

Jack

Jack

grenier

Thanks for the help Jack. You lost me with the explanation though.

For me it's more then just a modem issue, it's my whole house. I'm having the same issue as yesterday morning, fuzzy analog tvs, low modem signal levels/phone dead and my HDTV is giving me errors.

My modem just gave this error:

Mon May 14 08:23:24 2012 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC f...

Mon May 14 08:31:38 2012      Critical (3)     SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q...

I am so sick of having techs come out and not do anything but checking the levels and saying it's ok. How do I get a Level 3 or higher supervisory tech? Last time I requested a lead tech the sent out a regular tech who didn't do anything.
Cisco 8640HDC

Jack 1000

Quote from: grenier;58503Thanks for the help Jack. You lost me with the explanation though.

For me it's more then just a modem issue, it's my whole house. I'm having the same issue as yesterday morning, fuzzy analog tvs, low modem signal levels/phone dead and my HDTV is giving me errors.

My modem just gave this error:

Mon May 14 08:23:24 2012 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC f...

Mon May 14 08:31:38 2012      Critical (3)     SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q...

I am so sick of having techs come out and not do anything but checking the levels and saying it's ok. How do I get a Level 3 or higher supervisory tech? Last time I requested a lead tech the sent out a regular tech who didn't do anything.

Just heard back. (Recommended Bolded Stuff Most Important)

You should call TWC's  Customer Retention Department For An Unresolved Signal Problem:

TWC Customer Retentions Department-866-892-0019 (Dial 1 First)

When you get the Customer Retention Department, say that you are having multiple signal drops affecting all of your cable services and the regular level 1-level 2 techs say is fine.  Request a LEVEL 3 SUPERVISORY TECH (He needs to be level 3 or higher) and not a regular tech, to come out and check all wiring and services inside and outside the home.

When the tech comes, provide pictures for him of any signal readings or diagnostics that you can.  Any visuals you can give.  You might mention something like, "This gets worse in the warmer months year after year."

Give your readings on your Modem and boxes to the tech-explain that modem swaps have done nothing.

Have tech disconnect to check each cable connector  to each piece of equipment.  (We had signal issues on some stations, but not others for years, turned out that all the problems were due to a corroded cable connector in back of the box.) The cable was replaced.  No problems for the past six months.  

Give your readings on the cable boxes and modems to the tech.  Explain that multiple box swaps have done nothing.

Set up signal tracking inside and outside the home with the supervisory tech on all your equipment in your home.  Video Services, boxes, DVR's, Digital Phone, Modems, Routers, ALL equipment.

Get this tech's local direct cell phone number for constant communication with him until this problem is resolved.  Ask him to forward his findings to any higher ups who may be able to stop these problems once and for all.  Emphasize that ever piece of cable equipment in your home needs a complete signal history and evaluation set-up.

Make sure you call Customer Retentions and ask for level 3 tech support to begin escalating this problem.

Jack

grenier

Thanks Jack! I'll probably have to call tomorrow.
Cisco 8640HDC

Jack 1000

Quote from: grenier;58505Thanks Jack! I'll probably have to call tomorrow.

No problem!

I just re-examined your post history.  That splitter I still think is a part of the problem.  And it could be a major part of the problem.  You will NEVER have the same kind of quality signal strength with a splitter than without one!  I think it would be a good idea to disconnect any splitters during the testing and signal monitoring.  We have to find some way to bi-pass that splitter so that every piece of your cable equipment is getting its proper output in Very Good to Excellent Ranges.  The splitter is probably putting your settings at average to below average levels.

Mention this to the tech, FOR SURE!

Jack

PS.  Mentioning to my cable guys any way to bi-pass the splitter to hook up multiple devices.

grenier

I was talking to my neighbor yesterday and he was having similar issues at around the same time, his Internet was unreliable and his tv picture was breaking up.

I'm thinking it's not an inside issue, but I'm usually wrong about these things.
Cisco 8640HDC

Jack 1000

Quote from: grenier;58507I was talking to my neighbor yesterday and he was having similar issues at around the same time, his Internet was unreliable and his tv picture was breaking up.

I'm thinking it's not an inside issue, but I'm usually wrong about these things.

My two cable experts on the splitter issue:

(Show this to the tech)

Person #1: "A drop amp with multiple outputs would work, there is a lot of variables for this person like; How far is drop from the tap.? What kind of drop and drop size.? Levels out of tap, condition of connectors and splitters and there home.

Really needs a Service Tech to trouble shoot everything and run a MER/BER test for the digital side."

Person 2 on the TYPE of splitter and connection recommendation- (show this to tech too.):

Jack, I use zero loss splitters or active return zero loss amps for anything 4 or more outlets. Once you start using splits beyond that you are going to get 7db drops off each tap. I can recommend the following as I've had good luck with them and they have a pre-split for the EMTA (Phone modem) that is not powered and split prior to the amps circuit:

4-Way Zero Loss Active Splitter: http://www.amazon.com/Bi-Directional-Splitter-Booster-Amplifier-Telephone/dp/B003UHRVA2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337056429&sr=8-1

8 Way Zero Loss Active Splitter: http://www.amazon.com/Bi-Directional-Splitter-Booster-Amplifier-Telephone/dp/B003UH9R2C/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_c

I've found these to be better solutions than the TWC option of putting a 15db booster amp in front of an 8 way splitter and then adding a two way split before that. I am currently using the 8 way in my home without issue.

Ben

PS. These are good for keeping the levels at each out the same as the level on the drop with the exception of the Modem outlet which is rated at 5db loss. That said, I consistently see it closer to a 3.5db loss. The customer needs to be sure there is no leakage or bad connections as well. Remember, garbage in garbage out. All this does is keep the levels constant with what is coming off the main drop.

Good luck!

Jack

grenier

I'm going to probably wait a little bit before I start pestering TWC, I have too much going on right now to deal with this. I really do appreciate all your help.

In case you're curious, I'm probably less then 50' from the tap. I have the amplifier, and a splitter that feeds the modem, the HDTV and two analog tvs. The longest run of cable in the house is probably 25'.
Cisco 8640HDC

Danno321

Disconnect the analog TVs at the splitter.   Is everything else fine now?   If so, the incoming signal is not strong enough to split to so many devices.  Furthermore, amplifying a weak signal will amplify noise too.   Good equipment can filter out noise (my Moxi never pixelates like TWC box),  but box makers for monopolies pinch pennies to x10M profit.   The tech should be able to determine the TWC signal to calculate how it can be split.

Danno321

Quote from: grenier;58509I'm going to probably wait a little bit before I start pestering TWC, I have too much going on right now to deal with this. I really do appreciate all your help.

In case you're curious, I'm probably less then 50' from the tap. I have the amplifier, and a splitter that feeds the modem, the HDTV and two analog tvs. The longest run of cable in the house is probably 25'.

Make sure to tighten coax gently with wrench.  Slightly loose coax connector can oxidize on surface if not tight.

Jack 1000

QuoteDisconnect the analog TVs at the splitter. Is everything else fine now? If so, the incoming signal is not strong enough to split to so many devices.

I agree 100%

Jack

grenier

Quote from: Danno321;58512Make sure to tighten coax gently with wrench.  Slightly loose coax connector can oxidize on surface if not tight.

I'm going to check the two analog tvs, one has an old VCR hooked up to it. You think that could contribute somehow?

Knock on wood, everything has been fine the last two days. My neighbor had a tech out for his problem, maybe they did something that fixed my problem.
Cisco 8640HDC