News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Channel currently unavailable

Started by ddeerrff, Sunday Apr 11, 2010, 10:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddeerrff

Was watching a movie on ABCFamily HD this afternoon.  Halfway though it just stopped dead. Tuning off channel and then back on gave me the note that "ABCFamily HD is currently unavailable, please try again later".

Now I am getting that same message of Nickelodeon.  Actually have been seeing it quite often on many of the HD (1000+) channels.  

Are these all on the SDV system?  Is this a common problem?

LoadStar

Yes, that would be a symptom of SDV, often when it isn't operating properly.

That message will be displayed if bandwidth is overloaded on your node and there isn't capacity to tune into the channel, or if for whatever reason the node believes that while you are tuned into the channel, you no longer are watching (e.g. you left your cable box on when you are away from your TV). This could also happen if two-way communication breaks down, due to bad signal levels, or if the head-end system completely crashes and loses track of who is watching what channels.

My guess with most SDV issues is often signal levels.

gparris

LoadStar is right, that is what does happen, only it got worse a few weeks ago when the whole system went down.
Now, when that happens while you are actually tuned into that channel, I have not had happened, or if it did, I wasn't serious about watching that channel, just had it on, usually it is my power-on channel (Science HD).
I do feel bad for your predicament, maybe it will go away or you will have to have TWC look into it for you.:(

ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Just had an Ah-Ha moment.  I have a home made 15 dB amplifier in line, and that most likely is preventing the STB from 'requesting' the SDV feed.  

Many years ago...  When OTA was still analog, I had annoying ghosting on the local channels.  Had a tech out and he tightened up the system, which improved things but did not totally eliminate the ghosting.  I asked about getting a stronger signal, but the tech indicated his measurements showed I had good signal and wouldn't do any more.  (along with the ghosting the RR cable modem was indicating -10db receive level, which is on the low end of acceptable.  Tech poo-poo'ed any problem there too).

So I built a 15 dB gain preamp and added it on the 'TV' side of the two-way splitter (other side of the splitter not going through preamp going to RR cable modem).  Ghosting disappeared and picture quality in general got significantly better.  Perhaps 3 years ago, I added another TV to the system and had to change the two way splitter feeding the existing two TVs to a three way.  Thought I would try things again without my homebrew preamp.  Ghosting and minor 'snow' returned.  

Had tech support come out and asked for more signal.  He replaced the run from the pole to the house and said all was good.  I didn't see any difference and still had the ghosting/snow.  Put my preamp back in line and all was well again.  Gave up on trying to get TWC tech to fix it and just left the preamp in line.  It's been running like this ever since.  

When we got rid of the old NTSC CRT and put in the new flat screen (Samsung LN46B630) in January, I again tried taking the preamp out.  Analog channels (2-99) were a little snowy but watchable.  The Clear-Quam channels (6-1, 12-1, 24-1, etc) were badly pixelated/steaked/stop-start.  Put the preamp back in and all was good.  

All the above is with a basic/standard service package.  We upgraded to 'Digital Access' and installed a STB (SA-3250HD) mid February.  The cable that had connected directly to the TV I connected to a two-way splitter.  One side goes to the TV 'F' connector, and the other side goes to the input of the STB.  The STB is connected via component cables to the TV.  With this configuration, we use the TV normally on channels 2-99, and if there is something we want to watch that is available in HD, we just select the Component input on the TV and use the STB remote to select the channel.  I do it this way because we are channel surfers, and the STB is not surfer friendly.  That and there are many functions on the TV that are not accessable through the STB 'universal' remote.  

Last night I again tried removing the preamp, and again analog channels were somewhat snowy and the Clear-Quam channels were pixelated to undecodable.  Trying to bring the signal through the STB was no more successful.  Putting the preamp back inline again fixed the issues - but there is no way the STB is going to be able to talk to the head end backwards through this preamp.

Have not had any success in the past, but it looks like am I going to have to try to convince TWC into giving me more signal.:bang:

LoadStar

Yeah, that would do it. Take off the filter, then call up and tell them you are having trouble tuning into digital cable channels. They'll try and pull the signal level, and likely as soon as they see how low it is (or that they can't read it at all) they'll set up a service call... don't let the tech leave until he had checked both upstream and downstream signal level and confirmed that both are within specs.

kevbeck122

If necessary, they might set up a bidirectional amp similar to this:
http://www.antronix.net/Products/category.php?page=amplifiers&i=5.  My parents have one (supplied by TWC) going to a 1x8 splitter and as far as I know they rarely have SDV issues.  

If you would rather try yourself, you can pick up an Antronix amp on ebay for ~$10 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTRONIX-FRA1-1510-AC-RESIDENTIAL-AMPLIFIER-NIB_W0QQitemZ220586269756QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335bf75c3c).  Otherwise there are several other manufacturers out there like Motorola: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Booster-484095-001-00-Bi-Directional-Amplifier/dp/B000066E6Y.

Tivoman44

I know Loadstar has Tivo Series 3 but does everyone else in this post have Tivo or are you using TWC's boxes?  These posts remind me of why I dumped cable, I got so sick of the SDV and tuning adaptor problems.  Maybe in a few years when they come out with 2nd and 3rd generation Tuning adaptors I'll come back.  

I must say though, as much of a pain that I had with cable TV, road runner has (knock on wood) always seemed to work flawlessy for me, using their newer smaller modem with a netgear router.  While lite downloads are slower, still works good.

LoadStar

Quote from: kevbeck122;55364If necessary, they might set up a bidirectional amp similar to this:
http://www.antronix.net/Products/category.php?page=amplifiers&i=5.  My parents have one (supplied by TWC) going to a 1x8 splitter and as far as I know they rarely have SDV issues.  

If you would rather try yourself, you can pick up an Antronix amp on ebay for ~$10 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTRONIX-FRA1-1510-AC-RESIDENTIAL-AMPLIFIER-NIB_W0QQitemZ220586269756QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335bf75c3c).  Otherwise there are several other manufacturers out there like Motorola: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Booster-484095-001-00-Bi-Directional-Amplifier/dp/B000066E6Y.

The problem is that amps such as these just amplify everything that they get in... good, bad, or otherwise. Think of it this way: record yourself whispering, then turn up the volume. You might hear the whisper louder, but you'll also hear lots and lots of room noise making it really hard to hear what you said clearly. In cable terms, you'll see a stronger signal - but your bit error rate will go sky high, and your signal to noise ratio will be way, way out of whack.

You really need them to try and fix the issue at the node end instead of a client-side "band-aid."

ddeerrff

Quote from: LoadStar;55373You really need them to try and fix the issue at the node end instead of a client-side "band-aid."

Absolutely correct.  But I have historically been unable to get TWC to do so.  Hopefully this time.

With the preamp in place, channel 1900 on my STB show FDC jumping anywhere between 6 and 59, and RDC steady at -1.  (not looking at it now - could have FDC and RDC reversed)  Haven't tried it with the preamp removed yet, nor have I had the timt to call TWC.

zoothorn

This is certainly an interesting thread for me...

I've been complaining about messages like 'MSNBCHD is currently unavailable, please try again later' for about the last 3 months. I've had every connector in the house replaced, the signal checked as 'ok' several times, about 3 new cable boxes, and currently have a new line laying on the lawn as they said they needed to run a new one from the street. That was about 2 weeks ago.

I'd have to say since the new line it does seem less frequent. It used to happen every day.

This morning I had the TV on for about 2 hours and got a pop up taking about half the screen saying 'press any key to continue watching this channel'. I don't believe I should have to press a key to watch TV. If I didn't want to watch it I'd turn it off. If I have it on I want to watch it.

So I did nothing. A minute or two later what do I see "MSNBCHD is currently unavailable, try again later". My old friend... I hit the 'A for Try Again' several times with no luck.

So I called support and they wanted to send a tech out. I explained I'd have a tech out several times and this seems to be a problem with their software, not my installation. I asked if there wasn't someone else I could get a response to the question of why I have to hit a key to continue watching what I pay for.

That got me to a supervisor, who probably quite accurately explained that this is a 'feature' of switched digital. That if they don't think anyone is watching a channel they pull it. I offered that I don't feel that I should be required to take extra steps to get what I'm paying for, and that when they do pull  it it won't come back, and that their system seems to be designed not to the satisfaction of their customer. She continued to make the point that if someone isn't watching the channel they want the bandwidth back. I pointed out that perhaps then they've promised service they can't deliver with their current bandwidth. etc. etc etc.

While that was mildly entertaining it wasn't getting anywhere. I ask that she at least express up the chain that a customer doesn't think this is good service and I'll have to seriously look into Dish.

My question to you all now is...does everyone just put up with this bull ****? Maybe I'm the only one in my segment or area that watches MSNBC on HD but I doubt it. The fact is...I can't get the channel when I want it and it seems to be because of the design of there system. It's not a 'bug' in their mind.

Ddeerrff, I don't think it has anything to do with your amplification. They have had me with and without an amp and my signal is fine. And Tivoman, I don't have Tivo I have the TWC box and it's a problem. It sounds like from your experience the only option is to jump ship.

Seems like BS to me. I've been a customer what...20 years or so now? And they just design their system so it won't function for me and give me no alternative but to jump. Quite a way to do business...

I can't believe everyone else puts up with them.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Zoot. :bang:

ddeerrff

The amp I have installed is homemade - definitely not bidirectional - and would certainly block any reverse channel.  I've been suffering low signal level since day one with TWC - that's why the preamp is there.  

Looking at the diag channel (1900) on my SA3250HD with the preamp installed, I see FDC (forward data channel?) at -1 and RDC (reverse data channel?) unstable, eventually settling down to 41.  

With the preamp out of the line I get severe breakup on the digital channels, and snowy pictures on the analog channels.  STB diags shows FDC at -20, and RDC unstable - going as high as 56 and as low as 6. Seems to settle on the 6.  

I do have about 11 dB of loss due to line splitters between the input signal line and the TV/STB.  (Half the signal goes to the RR modem, other half splits to 4 TVs)

Had a service call scheduled for Sunday morning, but they were a no-show.  Rescheduled for this afternoon.  We'll see.

zoothorn

Oh, I missed the home grown amp part.

Suffice it to say even when you get your amp/signal straightened out don't expect that it will eliminate the 'this channel currently not available message' as that seems, from what I was told this morning, to be designed as a feature of their current system. That is not going away.

Good luck!

Jack 1000

Quote from: ddeerrff;55455The amp I have installed is homemade - definitely not bidirectional - and would certainly block any reverse channel.  I've been suffering low signal level since day one with TWC - that's why the preamp is there.  

Looking at the diag channel (1900) on my SA3250HD with the preamp installed, I see FDC (forward data channel?) at -1 and RDC (reverse data channel?) unstable, eventually settling down to 41.  

With the preamp out of the line I get severe breakup on the digital channels, and snowy pictures on the analog channels.  STB diags shows FDC at -20, and RDC unstable - going as high as 56 and as low as 6. Seems to settle on the 6.  

I do have about 11 dB of loss due to line splitters between the input signal line and the TV/STB.  (Half the signal goes to the RR modem, other half splits to 4 TVs)

Had a service call scheduled for Sunday morning, but they were a no-show.  Rescheduled for this afternoon.  We'll see.

Don't forget to tell them they missed a service call.  You get a $20 credit on your account when this happens.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

leprechaunshawn

I had similar problems with "channel not available" and "press A to continue watching this channel" until late November of last year.  That's when I switched to D*.  

I know that might not be an option for everybody but it certainly is worth looking into.  I have not had a problem with signal levels, channel loss or picture quality in the nearly 6 months since I switched.