News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Will We Ever See WMLW in HD in Milwaukee?

Started by Jack 1000, Friday Aug 19, 2011, 08:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack 1000

I don't know about other affiliates. but with TWC here in Metro Milwaukee, we have the SD channel of WMLW and no HD equivalent.  The picture quality is not very good, not because of cable, but because of low signal strength at the station source.  Most of you know about the poor quality of Brewer games on this station.

Any talk with management of an HD version of this station?  Is there one out there from say another provider that TWC has not yet picked up?

Thanks in advance!

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

trev57

There is no WMLW HD yet. The last time I talked to them, a few months ago, they said that they were planning on upgrading to HD soon. But at the same time, they told me there were no plans to launch HD newscasts anytime in the near future, and that's happening in about a month or so. So who knows?

WITI6fan

Quote from: trev57;57732But at the same time, they told me there were no plans to launch HD newscasts anytime in the near future, and that's happening in about a month or so.

I heard some stuff about that recently.

All I can say is, don't hold your breath. :D

trev57

Quote from: WITI6fan;57735I heard some stuff about that recently.

All I can say is, don't hold your breath. :D

Really? The guy I know that works at WDJT told me they were still on track for mid September-early October. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if they did end up delaying it.

murdoc

Quote from: trev57;57736Really? The guy I know that works at WDJT told me they were still on track for mid September-early October. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if they did end up delaying it.

What's the point?  By early October the Brewers will be in the playoffs on FOX/TBS.  No sense in upgrading until April if they have to wait that long.

trev57

Quote from: murdoc;57757What's the point?  By early October the Brewers will be in the playoffs on FOX/TBS.  No sense in upgrading until April if they have to wait that long.

Sorry, I got a little off topic there. I was talking about CBS 58 News in HD, not WMLW.

REVM1M

Tomorrow's Brewers game is on WMLW , I don't know how many times I will be yelling at the tv because of very bad picture:bang::bang:

trev57

Is it just me or is WMLW even worse when they letterbox things? I can't even read the game clock in the Georgia-Kentucky game today.

Jack 1000

Their signal levels have a lot to be desired at WMLW.  I was watching Family Feud today, and the picture is the fuzziest of all the SD stations.  Other SD stations, while of course not the quality of HD, are very good.  However, close up motion shots on WMLW, seriously only look slightly better than a You Tube video!

Jack

mrschimpf

It seems to have actually gotten worse in the last two months. It's like they responded to complaints about 58-1's signal quality (which still leaves alot to desire; thankfully the leaves have fallen so I get WFRV easily this time of year), but did that by taking away picture quality on 58-2.

Not that anyone does care here though, but 58-4's signal is much, much worse than it ever has been also. There are times when the audio encoder will even kick into silence like it's only receiving half a signal from the Shorewest TV video server, so it seems like all of their signal is being piped mainly into 58-1 and This.

Jack 1000

Quote from: mrschimpf;58052It seems to have actually gotten worse in the last two months. It's like they responded to complaints about 58-1's signal quality (which still leaves alot to desire; thankfully the leaves have fallen so I get WFRV easily this time of year), but did that by taking away picture quality on 58-2.

Not that anyone does care here though, but 58-4's signal is much, much worse than it ever has been also. There are times when the audio encoder will even kick into silence like it's only receiving half a signal from the Shorewest TV video server, so it seems like all of their signal is being piped mainly into 58-1 and This.

Any success with e-mailing the station?  Or a typical form letter response about the sub-standard picture quality? I think lack of money in this terrible economy could be a main reason why WMLW can't go HD, or is having trouble going to HD.

Jack

trev57

Quote from: Jack 1000;58053Any success with e-mailing the station?  Or a typical form letter response about the sub-standard picture quality? I think lack of money in this terrible economy could be a main reason why WMLW can't go HD, or is having trouble going to HD.

Jack

Emailing the station usually results in no response or one line responses like "we'll look into it" or "we're working on it".