News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Any further Time-Warner "Navigator" software news?

Started by LoadStar, Saturday Aug 04, 2007, 02:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoadStar

What's the latest news regarding the "Navigator" cable box software? As I was hearing people on another board talk about the different cable box software, it jogged my memory and thought I'd ask and see. I mean, I thought eventually all Milwaukee area would get it... but thus far, my SA8300HD is still running the Aptiv software.

I mean, right now I'm fairly satisfied with the Aptiv software... it does almost everything I need it to do, and has been mostly stable (haven't managed to crash the box for a bit now), so I'm definitely not exactly begging for it here.

dicktwi

My 8300HD DVR was freezing up and spontaneously rebooting often enough that I got disgusted and went to Mayfair the other night and exchanged it.  I was surprised to get the brand new 8300HD  with Cable Card 2.0 (interactive) and a new remote.  I was also surprised when I finally got it activated to see that I now had the Navigator software.  I don't have time now to go into detail, but imho the software is definitely a mixed bag.  There are things to like and things to dislike/hate compared to the Aptiv software.  I'll just give one like and one dislike:
I like the fact that I can select black side bars on SD programming.
I dislike that fact that I can no longer go the guide, highlight a program like Damages and hit C to see a list of all the upcoming showings of that program.  I now have to do a Find, "typing" in the name of the program.
Enough said for now.  I haven't done a search, but perhaps someone else has already done a review of the Navigator software.

gparris

Nice of TWC Milwaukee to sneak in the Navigator software into the HD DVR boxes using the new fed requirement for cable boxes.
While my understanding is that the standard HD boxes have used Navigator for some time(?), the 8300HD DVR has not because of the bugs and major problems that were had with the Nebraska TWC location.
Now it is my understanding from what you just told us, dicktwi, that IF you have a still-functional 8300HD (without the C suffix), try to hold on to it as long as you can since the new ones the cable company must offer now use that crappy Navigator software.
Gee, thanks for nothing, TWC!:mad:

VoidXero

TWC tried to replace my 8300HD with a 8300HDC but after the first was DOA and the second never fully initialized they went back the drawing board. Nice job TWC, I'm stuck with the same old problems but now I have none of my settings or recorded shows. When will they get some (wired) competition and be forced out of business??? When???

dicktwi

Quote from: gparris;40196Nice of TWC Milwaukee to sneak in the Navigator software into the HD DVR boxes using the new fed requirement for cable boxes.
While my understanding is that the standard HD boxes have used Navigator for some time(?), the 8300HD DVR has not because of the bugs and major problems that were had with the Nebraska TWC location.
Now it is my understanding from what you just told us, dicktwi, that IF you have a still-functional 8300HD (without the C suffix), try to hold on to it as long as you can since the new ones the cable company must offer now use that crappy Navigator software.
Gee, thanks for nothing, TWC!:mad:

I tried to return my 8300HDC for an 8300HD, but was told at Mayfair that the 8300HD is no more (at TWC).  All anyone can get now is the 8300HDC.  Furthermore, all current 8300HD's in service will have the Navigator software by the end of the year.  My son is not happy about that.

An "oh, by the way": after rebooting the box 3 times (it froze during the reboot the 1st and 2nd times), it now finally seems to be recording all my scheduled recordings ok.  I still dislike the Navigator software, but what am I to do?  Install DirecTV?  I went to Circuit City and the sales guy was really cooperative in showing me how various channels looked on all their big screen hdtv's.  Although the SD definitely looked better than TWC out of the 8300HD/C, the HD just didn't look as good to me as TWC.  Plus, when I had Dish Network some years ago, it was a real pain in the ass losing tv during every heavy rain and every heavy wet snow.  I have to give TWC Milwaukee credit for that anyway.  I have NEVER to my knowledge, lost my TWC cable tv service.  If only we could get FIOS, but...oh well, at least we're not as bad off as some cities.

gparris

On a positive note (if indeed there is any with TWC), maybe the bugs in the Navigator software will be fixed (at least more) for use with the balance of the other STBs in current use.
Surely, the thousands of 8300HD DVRs out there without cable card use will not have to be returned for the 8300HDCs and the Navigator interface with its issues will be mostly, if not completely, fixed (positive note again).
While I am not absolutely certain, I would assume that cities like San Antonio and Austin, TX already use 8300HDs and the full-blown Navigator, amongst others, with that "start over" software in place.
Things are not looking good for TWC in Milwaukee if this is the way Navigator is going to stay (extremely buggy), however.:(

Bigdog

I just exchanged an old 8000 and ended up with the 8300HDC. One thing I noticed right away was the volume was lower on it and I don't see a way to set levels like you could with the old box or even the 8300HD.

patnshan

I now have an 8300HD and an 8300HDC.  Thankfully, I am having no problems with either.  I record shows on both and have not had any difficulty.

One thing I do like about the HDC, is that I can get black bars on SD stations.  On the HD, I have these stupid looking gray bars and there is no way to change it.  

Pat

wireblsam

I noticed that there must have been an update recently to the software.  The graphics are a little smaller on the channel banner and it seems to be moving a little quicker when changing channels.

gparris

Quote from: patnshan;40857I now have an 8300HD and an 8300HDC.  Thankfully, I am having no problems with either.  I record shows on both and have not had any difficulty.

One thing I do like about the HDC, is that I can get black bars on SD stations.  On the HD, I have these stupid looking gray bars and there is no way to change it.  

Pat

Nice to know the two can behave well with one of each in the same billing address and connection house.:)

Can you still do a stretch for the SD channels by pushing the "#" key to eliminate the side bars altogether with the 8300HDC using Navigator?:confused:
I hate the vertical side bars worse than the stretching, but that's me.

patnshan

Quote from: gparris;40914Nice to know the two can behave well with one of each in the same billing address and connection house.:)

Can you still do a stretch for the SD channels by pushing the "#" key to eliminate the side bars altogether with the 8300HDC using Navigator?:confused:
I hate the vertical side bars worse than the stretching, but that's me.

I don't know about the # key, but you can do it.  I actually run my settings as 4:3 for video on the 8300HDC, even though I have a 16:9 TV in the bedroom.  This seems to stretch the channels that are 4:3 and leave the 16:9 one's alone.  I am not sure why???  If I don't do that, I get the black bars.  I get gray bars with my panny projector and the 8300HD.  

Pat

gparris

Running Passport/Echo with Aptiv you on the 8300HD (no C) you can change the picture to zoom, stretch or side bar by pressing the # key until you find what you like and then press the exit key.
If the box's settings remember everything, you don't have to go into the setup button on the remote and then press the yellow "A" triangle for more options, then exit button.
Navigator is buggy as I understand it, but getting better.
I hope I never have to use it, but as a consumer, I can love it or leave (TWC) it.
Trouble is, I have few, if any, provider options right now, what with all the "competition".:(

Jack 1000

Greetings,

First time poster from the Metro Milwaukee area!  I currently have a TWC DVR with Passport on it.  Back in January, I received a form letter that the box, which I had for six years was being upgraded to Navigator.  Fortunately that did not happen.  I am aware that despite after a year in the field the problems seem to exist primarily with DVR series recording and something called a "Channel not available Bug."  How has this been going for TWC Milwaukee subscribers since January?  I heard about the horror stories in Lincoln Nebraska where the software was so bad that the city council got involved.

Have any of you had a download of your boxes or DVR's to Navigator?  I have not heard of any Navigator downloads since March or April.  I presume TWC Milwaukee learned of the problems in Lincoln Nebraska, and as of now is only releasing Navigator to the new Cable Card "C" boxes known as OCAP.  These boxes are designated by a "C" in the model number.

Does anyone know when Navigator is scheduled to launch on the 8300 HD and 8000 DVR's?  How will TWC deal with the older boxes such as Pioneer and Pace, that presumably don't have enough memory to run Navigator?  Will the lesser memory boxes remain with Passport until they naturally die out?

The big question, is what type and how much of a warning do subscribers get before this software is launched?

Regards,

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Jack 1000

Here are some ideas that I have with regards to Navigator usage tips.  An ongoing issue being researched by Time Warner Cable is the dreaded "Channel Not Available" bug, most notably on series recordings.  See my comments below:

I don't think that the occasional reboot will hurt anything, especially if you have problems. I still have Passport and get stuck with an end of Daylight Savings Time issue, where the guide displayed "No Data" between 11pm-12am. After a reboot (maybe two, but one for sure) I found out that this wasn't a converter issue, but a signal head-end issue. Whether you had/have Passport, Sara, or Navigator, if it's a head-end issue becomes a moot point.

I would suggest to TWC in the interim as they research this "Channel Not Available" bug, particularly with series recordings to activate the head-end with some sort of automatic reboot process once a week sometime between 4am-6am (or whenever viewership is lowest.) At least the head-end data could be refreshed regularly and people who's TV outlets/surge protectors might be in awkward positions don't have to go through the crap of unplugging the converter every week.

Another tip for Navigator users would be to do what I do on Passport. I don't use the Series Manager because I don't trust it, and I don't want to clutter up the hard drive with episodes I don't like. So what I do is the following:

1.) Set each show to record individually. In other words, I don't treat a series as a series, but I go through and based on the IPG description, I can tell the DVR exactly what I want and I know that what I DON'T want, won't be recording.

2.) If you have a show that you value, DON'T set something else to record at the same time slot. (Especially with Navigator) We know that the Recording Log Conflict Manager for Navigator is not reliable. So try to program your shows so that Navigator only has one thing to do at a time. If you REALLY have a show that is critical, pop a VCR tape in or if you have a DVD burner, do that. Than, you will have a backup IF Navigator craps out in the middle of a recording.

3.) If you have episodes of a series that didn't record, or you are concerned about them, the best workaround is to delete each show in the series manager and schedule the programs individually. Elaborating on suggestion #1, the reasoning for this is two-fold:

a.) Navigator often does not know how to deal with "New" series recordings, because there is some issues as to what (for Navigator) makes something a "new recording." If the "New recording" information is coming from the head-end and the head end is being updated once a week, for some reason, it is not known if the IPG for Navigator says:

"OK was this new at the time it was programed by the user?" OR

b.) Is this no longer "new" because the head-end data has been updated?" Translation: "Channel Not Available" happens due to the signal head-end information and Navigator are not synchronizing with each other?

Now if the above is happening to you with a series in the Series Manager, and you get the "Channel Not Available" bug, you are going to have.........a mess. At least by INDIVIDUALLY selecting episodes, you would have less of a chance of seeing the "Channel Not Available" bug because the newest shows are supposed to be recorded as first priority. By individually selecting shows, Navigator "thinks" that they are not part of a "series" and using this method MIGHT cause more reliable box behavior.

This sounds more and more with how the Navigator software deals with head-end signals, and may have nothing to do with the box hardware itself.

Jack

Jack 1000

Has anyone called, written, or e-mailed Time Warner as to when Navigator is scheduled to be downloaded to their preexisting boxes in their particular division?  What month are we looking at?  Or are they waiting until next year?

Jack