News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Time Warner / SA 8000HD programming questions

Started by Snard, Wednesday Aug 25, 2004, 09:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snard

Hi,

I've run into a few problems with my new TW HD DVR, that I'm having a hard time figuring out. Maybe some of you have already found a solution or workaround to these issues.

There is an animation block on Cartoon Network (TWC 57) called "Adult Swim" on Sunday nights, and some of the shows in that block are only 15 minutes long. When you go to the program guide, it only displays show titles for the :00 and :30 boundaries, so it's difficult to select, or view information for, the shows that start at :15 or :45 past the hour. The program information will properly indicate the duration of the show as 15 minutes, however. The only way I've found to record one of these shows is to search for it by title or genre, and select and record from there.

There is another show, on WMLW (TWC 7) on Saturday mornings, called Stooge-a-Palooza, where they show old Three Stooges shorts. It's a 2 hour block containing 5 shorts and commentary between the shorts (as well as a bunch of commercials :)), and the program guide lists each short separately, on 24 minute boundaries. However, the same sort of problem exists as above; only 4 of the 5 shorts can be selected for the 2 hour block, unless I search in the guide by title and tag them there. (There is a separate issue in that the 24 minute boundaries don't always match the start/end times for each short, and in some cases they are split between two adjacent recordings. But that's another issue)

Now, I'm aware that I can do a manual recording, but when I try that, I can only start or end the recording on even hour boundaries. There doesn't seem to be any way to scroll through or enter minutes. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance,
- Mike Shawaluk

Samsung UN46D6000
Philips 40PFL4706/F7B

Now with Windows Media Center and HDHomeRun Prime!

Joel S

You should have the option to start/end your recording later or earlier.  I think after you select the shows to record you select "record options" and are then able to choose how much longer to record a show "5, 15, 30 minutes etc.."  I know this isn't a perfect solution but you would perhaps record too much at worse instead of too little.

The guide is never perfect...  I was hoping to record the brewers/cubs game on CH 531 last week but I really couldn't because the guide isn't updated correctly.  It always says "Brewers in HD" which is not a show you are really able to record.

Anyway, did anyone notice that the SD DVR's are all of a sudden very quick with flipping channels??  It used to struggle (2-3 second pauses) to just flip a channel.  And last night I was able to change channels with swiftness.

gparris

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel S
Anyway, did anyone notice that the SD DVR's are all of a sudden very quick with flipping channels??  It used to struggle (2-3 second pauses) to just flip a channel.  And last night I was able to change channels with swiftness.

You have an SD DVR, too? Never hurts.;)

Anyway, mhz40 said this week in the wee hours the cable boxes would get a programming upgrade kick. :eek:

This must have happened as I went to turn on the HDTV sets last night and both, normally left on, were off. Further, the screen settings went back to the "widescreen 16:9 and 4:3 standard", but I had originally had both boxes left on and set them to stretch 4:3 mode...strange.
I hope this programming insert didn't mess up anything else, it that is what happened-and doesn't happen-again.:(
I decided to programme my universal remote-a pronto-with the settings key, just in case (just irritating to have to reset things).:D

Joel S

QuoteOriginally posted by gparris
You have an SD DVR, too? Never hurts.;)

Actually, I've got a couple SD DVR's and one HD DVR :D

I just don't like watching TV anymore without being able to press pause.:)

Paul S.

mhz40

QuoteOriginally posted by Snard
Now, I'm aware that I can do a manual recording, but when I try that, I can only start or end the recording on even hour boundaries. There doesn't seem to be any way to scroll through or enter minutes. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance,
While in the 'Start' or 'End' field of the manual recording setup page, use the right & left arrow to select the 10's and 1's fields.  Use the up and down arrow to adjust the 10's and 1's digit.

Fox Sports HD does not provide guide info to our guide data provider, and we don't have a good local way of producing schedules.

MHz40

Snard

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul S.
Fan of the Aqua Teens and Sealab?
Number 1 in the 'hood, G. :)
- Mike Shawaluk

Samsung UN46D6000
Philips 40PFL4706/F7B

Snard

QuoteOriginally posted by mhz40
While in the 'Start' or 'End' field of the manual recording setup page, use the right & left arrow to select the 10's and 1's fields.  Use the up and down arrow to adjust the 10's and 1's digit.
I could swear that I tried all of the arrow buttons the other night, and that didn't work... but sure enough, it worked just fine a few minutes ago when I tried this.  Was this part of last night's software update? :)
- Mike Shawaluk

Samsung UN46D6000
Philips 40PFL4706/F7B

mhz40

QuoteOriginally posted by Snard
I could swear that I tried all of the arrow buttons the other night, and that didn't work... but sure enough, it worked just fine a few minutes ago when I tried this.  Was this part of last night's software update? :)
Don't think so.