News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Sample local HD file sizes

Started by borghe, Friday Aug 13, 2004, 04:09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

borghe

Ok, finally got my HD Tivo hacked. Here are a couple of sample files sizes from OTA sources. I can also post sizes from satellite sources but those probably wouldn't be as meaningful to the group as a whole as OTA recordings would be:

Colonial House WMVT-DT 2hrs 14.5GB
Smallville WVTV-DT 1hr 7.6GB
Enterprise WCGV-DT 1hr 4.28GB
Jackie Chan Adventures WVTV 1/2hr 3.8GB
Simpsons WITI-DT 1/2hr 3.14GB
Conan O'Brien WTMJ-DT 1hr 7.1GB
Drew Carey WISN-DT 1/2hr 3.58GB

My CBS recording situation is still screwed up, but I did get a couple of shows recorded from what is actually WDJT-DT and they were 2.6GB for a 1/2 hour.

Other shows that are recorded off of the same channels are right in the same size range give or take a couple hundredths of a GB. So here is what the current tally looks like for recording:

4 WTMJ-DT is about 7.1GB/hour
6 WITI-DT is about 6.3GB/hour
12 WISN-DT is about 7.16GB/hour
18 WVTV-DT is about 7.6GB/hour
24 WCGV-DT is about 4.28GB/hour
36 WMVT-DT is about 7.25GB/hour
58 WDJT-DT is about 5.2GB/hour

18 is consistently running the highest bitrate. 6 is consistently running the lowest bitrate for a channel that isn't multicasting, and of course 58 is running the overall lowest bitrate for an HD channel. WCGV gets the award for running the highest bitrate for an SD channel. :P It's late now, but I will run actual approximate bitrate numbers tomorrow.

And for those wondering about the largest recording on my drive? So far it is LOTR: ROTK off of HD PPV: 19.3GB!!

Good night.

borghe

Ok, here are the figured bitrates for each local channel. This is assuming a 192Kbps Dolby 2.0 audio track. For WISN I assume a 384Kbps Dolby 5.1 audio track. If anyone is interested I can also provide file sizes for other local OTA channels or DirecTV HD programming.

Anyway, here are the bitrates for local Milwaukee DT channels:

WTMJ-DT 16.9Mbps
WITI-DT 14.8Mbps
WISN-DT 16.7Mbps
WVTV-DT 17.9Mbps
WCGV-DT 10Mbps
WMVT-DT 17.1Mbps
WDJT-DT 12.2Mbps

borghe

updated both posts with WISN-DT info.

borghe

now that 1-3/58-3 is off the air, the change seems to have mostly gone to WDJT. Their new file sizes and bitrates are:

6.2GB/hour
14.6Mbps

The GB/hour number is pretty accurate as that's the filesize for the programming on my Tivo. The bitrate is just a rough guesstimate based on a 192Kbps dolby track and the filesize.. if anyone really wants to know I could use mpeg2info on the video stream and see what it is really at.