News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Why is MPTV-HD impossible to pick up?

Started by Xizer, Friday Jun 11, 2010, 10:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xizer

Kenosha here. This is the ONLY Milwaukee channel that I cannot pick up. It drives me insane because it forces me to put up with WTTW 11, Chicago's atrocious PBS affiliate. Not only does WTTW's lineup consist mainly of crap like "Stay Rich Forever and Ever! With Ed Slott," Clay Aiken concerts, and tons of programming that isn't even HD, they stick every single flagship PBS program that is HD like Antiques Roadshow, Frontline, History Detectives, Nature, Nova, and more on their 480i channel and air them SOLELY on that channel, never on their HD feed... and on top of that these incompetent morons have the nerve to beg for money constantly, as if their stupid management deserves reward.

I have tried and tried to get MPTV to rescue me from this lunacy but I can only pick up an impressive signal of 10%. This is the only Milwaukee channel I cannot pick up with 75% signal or higher. I can even pick up every Chicago channel with 65% signal or higher except the notoriously weak CBS affiliate WBBM. I am using an Antenna Master DB2 antenna which is supposedly one of the best in the biz. For every other channel except MPTV that certainly seems to be an accurate assessment.

MPTV claims to have a coverage map that says their signal reaches as far as Waukegan, IL comfortably. Liars!

http://www.mptv.org/about/coverage/

Jimboy

The antenna you list is for UHF. Channel 10 broadcasts via VHF channel 8 from Milwaukee.  For reliable reception at your distance I suggest adding a high gain VHF antenna to your existing UHF or get an extreme fringe Digitenna.

EmuZombie

MPTV WMVS is the only Milwaukee channel that still broadcasts on the VHF band as Jimboy states.  

However, I think you will be just as disappointed in the HD line up on MPTV as you are with the Chicago station.  While PBS was once the leader in HD Programming, especially in Milwaukee, they seem to have gone backwards.  

Most of the shows you list are not aired on WMVS (channel 10).  They are in fact aired on WMVT channel 36, which is a 480i SD channel.

This is because WMVT used to be the HD PBS channel for Milwaukee with no sub channels and WMVS was the SD channel with multiple sub channels.  However they flip-fliopped and most programming never went over to WMVS.

Will

I'm not a huge MPTV fan*, but they do carry most of this stuff in HD.  Antiques Roadshow, NOVA, History Detectives, as well as This Old House / Ask TOH do air in HD.  Not sure on the others.  If none of  this is HD from WTTW, you'll be happy.  Also, no subchannels on 10.1 makes for a great picture.

I'll third Jimboy's suggestion.  They have a great (tall!) tower, and a strong signal.  I am able to pick up their signal at 100% on a UHF only antenna, BUT I am only 5 miles from the tower.  Add a good VHF antenna and you should be good to go.

*I think they dropped the ball on the news side, not having the NewsHour in HD.  They have over half the day devoted solely to kids' programming, from 5AM to 6PM.  That's a bit overkill for HD, in my opinion.

Good luck!  Let us know how it goes.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: Will;55708*I think they dropped the ball on the news side, not having the NewsHour in HD.  They have over half the day devoted solely to kids' programming, from 5AM to 6PM.  That's a bit overkill for HD, in my opinion.
MPTV applies 20th century norms to 21st century kids.  They don't understand that any kid four years or older knows their way around the remote better than all of MPTV's scheduling and slotting crew.  Their goal of creating a program stream that kids can just sit in front of, with occasional bathroom or diaper breaks, is laudable but outdated.  Kids should be learning the channel guide and how to find their HD programs on 10.1 and SD on 36.n!

On the other hand, if I were MPTV management, I would wonder what impact moving SD kids stuff to 36 would have on sponsorships of those programs. Perhaps they have already discussed this with sponsors and that's why they have kept all the kids stuff on 10.1 even when they're degrading HD programming by putting it on 36.  

But seriously, I want the option where donors can get regular programming, and the general public gets the marathon fundraisers with all the tired crowd pleasers.

Nels Harvey

Having worked at Ch. 10/36 for many years, I know the programming is, at least in part, dictated by the people who support the station as 10/36 members.  Many parents demand the programming for kids, and the Ch. 10 schedule reflects that.

I know there are other programs relegated to Ch. 36 that many people wish were presented in their original HD format.  Ch. 36 actually serves several niche markets with their various sub channels, and therefore isn't able to present the HD signal.  

There are many programming decisions made that may not be popular to some viewers, but remember, the presentations on these channels are shown in an effort to bring the greatest variety and meet demands of the subscribers.

The station is trying to increase the coverage of the Ch. 10 (Ch. 8) VHF signal.  Yes, they are aware of the problems some are having in receiving their signals.  HD coverage on satellites presently is lacking for the stations as well.

The people who work at the station are proud of the opportunity to present the many outlets of programming in order to serve as many homes as possible.  Just remember, Abe Lincoln said "You can't please all the people all the time!"
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

tbarney

Quote from: Xizer;55703I have tried and tried to get MPTV to rescue me from this lunacy but I can only pick up an impressive signal of 10%. This is the only Milwaukee channel I cannot pick up with 75% signal or higher. I can even pick up every Chicago channel with 65% signal or higher except the notoriously weak CBS affiliate WBBM. I am using an Antenna Master DB2 antenna which is supposedly one of the best in the biz. For every other channel except MPTV that certainly seems to be an accurate assessment.

MPTV claims to have a coverage map that says their signal reaches as far as Waukegan, IL comfortably. Liars!

http://www.mptv.org/about/coverage/

I feel your pain. I am in Germantown and get the channel in just some days with the signal strength no stronger than 60%, while Fox, NBC, and CBS all come in at 95% or more.  It is tough to have the kids watch Sesame Street when the picture breaks up ever few seconds.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: Nels Harvey;55711There are many programming decisions made that may not be popular to some viewers, but remember, the presentations on these channels are shown in an effort to bring the greatest variety and meet demands of the subscribers.
Yes, I am sure that's all true, and ultimately they probably serve the public interest better than any other local broadcast TV entity.  

Given the funding model, it follows that their "squeaky wheels" will tend to be subscribers and sponsors acting in their own perceived interests, and not necessarily seeking the greatest good.  It could be done more efficiently in terms of spectrum use, but probably not in terms of staff time and keeping the money coming in.  

The bottom line is that people who watch MPTV should give them money, and they should report directly and concisely to Ellis Bromberg et al when they see things that could be done better.  

You get what you pay for, right?  Most of the time, I do.

tbarney

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;55713The bottom line is that people who watch MPTV should give them money, and they should report directly and concisely to Ellis Bromberg et al when they see things that could be done better.  

You get what you pay for, right?  Most of the time, I do.

We all (well most of us) pay taxes, isn't that enough?

Bebop

Apparently not, otherwise they would not ask for pledges.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: tbarney;55714We all (well most of us) pay taxes, isn't that enough?

Look at it this way:  You pay taxes, you get some version of what 200 million voters want from public TV.  You pay MPTV directly, you get some version of what you and a few thousand other contributors want, and those 200 million others have proportionally less influence.  

Of course being a nonprofit, MPTV has already stipulated that there's no quid pro quo.

But as in all such cases, if you pay them and complain, or you can mobilize others to pay and complain, you stand a better chance of being listened to, than if you are just paying your taxes.

Try giving them $1000 this year.  They will send you a personalized thank you and maybe call you.  Then next year, if you don't send them anything, they will certainly get in touch.  That's when you tell them, "I'm not giving my $1000 this year because you're putting too many HD programs on 36 instead of 10."

AA9VI

Quote from: Xizer;55703I have tried and tried to get MPTV to rescue me from this lunacy but I can only pick up an impressive signal of 10%. This is the only Milwaukee channel I cannot pick up with 75% signal or higher. I can even pick up every Chicago channel with 65% signal or higher except the notoriously weak CBS affiliate WBBM. I am using an Antenna Master DB2 antenna which is supposedly one of the best in the biz. For every other channel except MPTV that certainly seems to be an accurate assessment.

Well, hate to tell you this, but you're getting bent out of shape because you made the mistake of putting up a UHF only antenna.  WBBM has a good signal now they are on RF12.  WMVS will come in when you get a combo VHF/UHF antenna.