News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

HDMI Output Issue on Time Warner Box?

Started by ZelmoSwift, Thursday Dec 27, 2007, 05:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjlee

Quote from: ckkopenski;43833My little issue with the non-HD channels not staying 'stretched' went away when I went back to component from HMDI this past weekend. Hopefully the promised fix(s) for Navigator take care of this. I don't know what the techinical term is, but the channels seem to 'paint' faster with component as well. There isn't so much jumping before you can see the picture.

I agree that with component, there seems to be less issues with switching resolutions as well.  The downside is that with component I do notice a slight difference in sharpness on some programming.
________
Colorado dispensary

sjlee

Non-update...

TWC still says that there is no fix available for the HDMI issue with resolution switching.  They say to check back with them in another few weeks.

Related issue... I found out that they also do no support using the digital audio out connection on their boxes.  I noticed that if I switch the settings to Dolby Digital, the audio cuts in/out... so I still use a digital audio (optical) cable, but leave the setting to "Other" on the box.
________
How To Roll A Blunt

cjucoder

Quote from: sjlee;45049I noticed that if I switch the settings to Dolby Digital, the audio cuts in/out... so I still use a digital audio (optical) cable, but leave the setting to "Other" on the box.
That must have been fun to debug.  Do you still get 5.1 ch with that "Other" audio setting?

sjlee

Quote from: cjucoder;45064That must have been fun to debug.  Do you still get 5.1 ch with that "Other" audio setting?

No... it's only 2-ch stereo when the setting is "Other".

Debugging the problem wasn't too bad... just did alot of cable swapping and setting switching.  Not quite as bad as debugging the HDMI issue.

I've also started noticing a couple horizontal lines that move from the bottom to the top of the screen.  I've only noticed it on HD programming.  SD programming doesn't have the problem.  In addition, it's not the TV, as video from other sources do not have the same problem.

HD may be "free" from TWC, but it's not free of problems.  :bang:
________
IOLITE VAPORIZER

Danno321

Quote from: sjlee;45065No... it's only 2-ch stereo when the setting is "Other".

Debugging the problem wasn't too bad... just did alot of cable swapping and setting switching.  Not quite as bad as debugging the HDMI issue.

I've also started noticing a couple horizontal lines that move from the bottom to the top of the screen.  I've only noticed it on HD programming.  SD programming doesn't have the problem.  In addition, it's not the TV, as video from other sources do not have the same problem.

HD may be "free" from TWC, but it's not free of problems.  :bang:

Use component cables.  I don't expect the incompetent TWC to get HDMI working anytime soon.  Their official position is they don't support HDMI.  So why not ship the boxes with a sticker over the HDMI port to indicate this?  Because it is TWC!

sjlee

Quote from: Danno321;45078Use component cables.  I don't expect the incompetent TWC to get HDMI working anytime soon.  Their official position is they don't support HDMI.  So why not ship the boxes with a sticker over the HDMI port to indicate this?  Because it is TWC!

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm doing right now because of the problems with using HDMI with their boxes.  They have the same position with digital optical audio as well.  

I guess they figure by just supplying you with a component cable and composite audio cable, you'd get the message that they don't support anything else.  :rolleyes:
________
Walter De'Silva

mr.kstr70

That of course makes sense with TWC.  Why would they bother to keep up with technology to make things better.  Are you guy's experiencing this problem on Passport or Navigator?  I still have passport on a hdtv with a hdmi and a digital audio that works.  On the other hdtv I am just using the component cables and that one has Navigator.  If this is just on the switch over from Passport to Nav, then it appears that I'll have to disconnect the hdmi cable on the box.

jeaves79

I had this problem when i got my HDTV last fall with TWC.  the DVR would not record shows sometimes and it would say that the Channel wasn't availiable.  Multiple Techs and CSRs would never flat out tell me that the HDMI was the issue, and when they told me to go down to component I told them to get bent.  Before I got the HD service I was told there were no issues with HDMI, then after 2 HD DVR boxes, I decided that enough was enough.

Called DirecTV, asked them point blank aboutt the HDMI, said no problems, and got it installed and low and behold, that nice shiny black HD-DVR and HDMI was not compatible.  Tech said it was my TV, it's a 42" Phillips LCD.  Tech said there is no difference between Component and HDMI.  And I know that some of you say there's isn't either but i noticed a difference, called DirecTv and complained they said a software fix was in the works and that I'd be notified via email.  About a month later just for S-A-G, I tried my HDMI connection and it worked!  Even my wife said when she walked in and didn't know that I used the HDMI, "what did you do to the picture?  It looks way better!".

No noticible difference between Component and HDMI my rear end!

sjlee

Quote from: mr.kstr70;45081That of course makes sense with TWC.  Why would they bother to keep up with technology to make things better.  Are you guy's experiencing this problem on Passport or Navigator?  I still have passport on a hdtv with a hdmi and a digital audio that works.  On the other hdtv I am just using the component cables and that one has Navigator.  If this is just on the switch over from Passport to Nav, then it appears that I'll have to disconnect the hdmi cable on the box.

I've never had a HD box from TWC before, so I've only used a Navigator one.  Prior to this, I just had SD digital cable with a Passport box.  That box worked great... the programming guide would come up as soon as I pressed the Guide button... no lag like I have with my current box.

From what I've read, it sounds like all the problems (HDMI and optical) are limited to the newer boxes.  So, if you want to continue using HDMI and optical audio, I'd recommend keeping your Passport box as long as possible.
________
Amateur Cams

sjlee

Quote from: jeaves79;45082I had this problem when i got my HDTV last fall with TWC.  the DVR would not record shows sometimes and it would say that the Channel wasn't availiable.  Multiple Techs and CSRs would never flat out tell me that the HDMI was the issue, and when they told me to go down to component I told them to get bent.  Before I got the HD service I was told there were no issues with HDMI, then after 2 HD DVR boxes, I decided that enough was enough.

Called DirecTV, asked them point blank aboutt the HDMI, said no problems, and got it installed and low and behold, that nice shiny black HD-DVR and HDMI was not compatible.  Tech said it was my TV, it's a 42" Phillips LCD.  Tech said there is no difference between Component and HDMI.  And I know that some of you say there's isn't either but i noticed a difference, called DirecTv and complained they said a software fix was in the works and that I'd be notified via email.  About a month later just for S-A-G, I tried my HDMI connection and it worked!  Even my wife said when she walked in and didn't know that I used the HDMI, "what did you do to the picture?  It looks way better!".

No noticible difference between Component and HDMI my rear end!

Despite both cables being able to transmit 1080p signals, I agree with you that there is a noticeable difference... not significant (to me), but still noticeable.  When I was using HDMI, I noticed that the picture was consistently sharper.  It's still HD with component, but I noticed a slight blur with the programming guide and sometimes with programming.  I've accepted the slight degradation in the programming to get around the problems with using HDMI.

Sounds to me that DirecTV had the same problems as TWC... the only difference being that they seemed to have fixed their issue, but their CSRs seem to be trained similarly ("it's not a problem with our hardware, must be your TV or cables", etc.)
________
Kitchen Measures

Danno321

Quote from: sjlee;45085Despite both cables being able to transmit 1080p signals, I agree with you that there is a noticeable difference... not significant (to me), but still noticeable.  When I was using HDMI, I noticed that the picture was consistently sharper.  It's still HD with component, but I noticed a slight blur with the programming guide and sometimes with programming.  I've accepted the slight degradation in the programming to get around the problems with using HDMI.

Sounds to me that DirecTV had the same problems as TWC... the only difference being that they seemed to have fixed their issue, but their CSRs seem to be trained similarly ("it's not a problem with our hardware, must be your TV or cables", etc.)

With component cables, it makes sense to spend a little extra for a quality cable (from monoprice.com).  HDMI is also nice as it is only one cable for both video and audio versus 5 cables.  But now there is a new video cable standard coming out and probably another version of HDMI.  JHC!

dicktwi

Quote from: mr.kstr70;45081That of course makes sense with TWC.  Why would they bother to keep up with technology to make things better.  Are you guy's experiencing this problem on Passport or Navigator?  I still have passport on a hdtv with a hdmi and a digital audio that works.  On the other hdtv I am just using the component cables and that one has Navigator.  If this is just on the switch over from Passport to Nav, then it appears that I'll have to disconnect the hdmi cable on the box.

I now have an 8300HDC with Navigator and, while I hate most of the software, there IS SOME good news: 1) this box has not spontaneously rebooted in the 3 weeks I've had it (the 8300HD with Passport rebooted at least 4-5 times a week) and 2) the HDMI out to my Sony SXRD RP set works perfectly.  So this box and software is a truly mixed "blessing".