News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

HDMI Output Issue on Time Warner Box?

Started by ZelmoSwift, Thursday Dec 27, 2007, 05:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZelmoSwift

Just got  a new Samsung DLP  (HL-T5076S) and switched our old cable box
for Time Warner's HD  box (it's the Explorer 4250HDC by Scientific Atlantic) with  
HDMI output.

When I set the input on the TV to HDMI and I'm viewing one of Time Warners'
high def broadcasts (example: channel 512), no problem---the picture looks great.
However, when I switch to a standard def channel (like 12 or HBO On Demand), the TV sometimes claims "no signal" and I end-up switching to cable input (giving a crummier picture). For example, earlier today I watched TMJ Weather Plus on channel 104 for news about our impending snowstorm and the picture was fine with the TV set on HDMI  input. Turned it off, switched it on  an hour later and again
"no signal".

I know its not an issue with the HDMI cable since I swapped the one I'm using  with another and experienced the same thing.

Also, once I manage to recieve a standard def program via HDMI, the signal never cuts-out.

Faulty box? Faulty user?

Bigdog

I had a "similar" problem with HDMI. Occasionally my PS3 would not display anything and then days later it might. It could be that you do have 2 marginal cables that are giving you problems. I ended up ordering some beefy ones from monoprice and never had the issue again.

markd

My parents had a similar issue but with an SA 8300HD when they got a Sony XBR LCD.  TWC claimed they did not support HDMI and said they needed to use component.  They have had no issues with a component connect.  It's probably not what you wanted to hear but some boxes and some TVs probably have handshake issues that might not be able to get worked out.  You might find a workaround by going through an AV receiver or getting an external HDMI switch.

Paul S.

Chances are, its not the cable. Beefy or not, the cable will either work or it wont. End of story. It's a digital connectrion!

When I get that prob once in awhile, i just unplug the HDMI from the back of the box, count to 5, then plug it back in. See if that works (while everything is powered on). Handshake issues suck ass.

AV Guy

Just want to let all out there this is not a HDMI cable issue. It is a issue with the software that TW is using in their boxes. All current boxes come with the new OS.
It is very flaky using HDMI. You will have much better stability using the component connection. The picture difference between the two is barely noticeable. I hook up 15 to 25 TW boxes every month on various theater systems and my reccommendation is not to use the HDMI format. You will save yourself many headaches. Older boxes with the previous version of the software works fine. However you only get HDMI on the DVR boxes. TW is eventually going to switch all their boxes over to the new software. Hopefully they will correct this problem soon. It's been going on now for over 3 months.

Tom Snyder

I've had HDMI handshake issues on the TV on the end of 100 foot HDMI cable.  But it's been perfect picture, but periodically just no sound. Requires an unplug, turn off TV, turn TV back on and plug back in.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

sjlee

Quote from: Tom Snyder;43634I've had HDMI handshake issues on the TV on the end of 100 foot HDMI cable.  But it's been perfect picture, but periodically just no sound. Requires an unplug, turn off TV, turn TV back on and plug back in.

I have that exact same issue with my LG 47LC7DF TV.  I'm only using a 6 foot HDMI cable, but when changing channels with different resolutions (720p or 1080i), I sometimes lose sound.  Once in a while, the picture get screwed up as well.

I end up needing to restart my TV.  I feel that this is a PITA, since it happens so often.  I thought it was a problem with the TV, but it sounds like it's more an issue with the cable box.
________
Weed Vaporizers

sjlee

Quote from: AV Guy;43632Just want to let all out there this is not a HDMI cable issue. It is a issue with the software that TW is using in their boxes. All current boxes come with the new OS.
It is very flaky using HDMI. You will have much better stability using the component connection. The picture difference between the two is barely noticeable. I hook up 15 to 25 TW boxes every month on various theater systems and my reccommendation is not to use the HDMI format. You will save yourself many headaches. Older boxes with the previous version of the software works fine. However you only get HDMI on the DVR boxes. TW is eventually going to switch all their boxes over to the new software. Hopefully they will correct this problem soon. It's been going on now for over 3 months.

Thanks for the heads up.  I did notice that I do not have an issue when using component connections... but then again, it appears that with component cables, the box up-converts everything to 1080i.  With HDMI, I see the box switching from 720p and 1080i depending on the channel... with component, I only see 1080i on the HD channels.
________
Toyota Motor Manufacturing Alabama History

sjlee

Quote from: AV Guy;43632Just want to let all out there this is not a HDMI cable issue. It is a issue with the software that TW is using in their boxes. All current boxes come with the new OS.

Since it appears to be a problem with TWC... do you think it would be worthwhile if I call them?  My guess is that the initial rep that answers the phone will try to blame my TV.
________
VAPORIZER VOLCANO

sjlee

Ok, so I contacted TWC via the online chat from their website.  The analyst (who was surprisingly helpful) checked with one of their technicians and told me that they have receive multiple complaints about using HDMI with their HD-DVR cable boxes.  Like it was mentioned earlier, the problem is related to their system.  She told me that they are planning on rolling out a new system in the next month which should resolve the issue.

In the meantime, she recommended that I use component cables.
________
Prilosec side effect

ZelmoSwift

Thanx for all the replies! I discovered an easy solution: When the tv is set on HDMI input and I hit a channel with the "not supported format" warning I just hit the "source" button on the remote and scroll through the different inputs until it works--usually a two or three tries. Works every time.

sjlee

Quote from: ZelmoSwift;43799Thanx for all the replies! I discovered an easy solution: When the tv is set on HDMI input and I hit a channel with the "not supported format" warning I just hit the "source" button on the remote and scroll through the different inputs until it works--usually a two or three tries. Works every time.

Wow, you're sure easy to please if you think that's an "easy" solution.  I decided to go with using component cables until the problem is fixed.  The video may not be quite as good as with HDMI, but at least I don't run into this issue anymore.
________
INFANTS DEPAKOTE

Paul S.

Quote from: sjlee;43807Wow, you're sure easy to please if you think that's an "easy" solution.  I decided to go with using component cables until the problem is fixed.  The video may not be quite as good as with HDMI, but at least I don't run into this issue anymore.

Why, because hitting the source button is that much work?

sjlee

Quote from: Paul S.;43823Why, because hitting the source button is that much work?

No, because it's a pain in the butt when you have to do it everytime the problem occurs.  I can reproduce the problem frequently simply changing channels that have different resolutions.  Besides, it's more than just hitting the source button...

"I just hit the "source" button on the remote and scroll through the different inputs until it works--usually a two or three tries. Works every time."

Two or three times?
________
Airsoft Pistol Metal Alloy Shell

ckkopenski

My little issue with the non-HD channels not staying 'stretched' went away when I went back to component from HDMI this past weekend. Hopefully the promised fix(s) for Navigator take care of this. I don't know what the techinical term is, but the channels seem to 'paint' faster with component as well. There isn't so much jumping before you can see the picture.