News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

new hdtv user techical questions...

Started by xsqsme, Thursday Dec 23, 2004, 09:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xsqsme

I am very happy I found this site and forum, because I haven't found any answers from Echostar or on the net...
    We have had E* for several years and this week bought a Samsung 4663 DLP HDTV ready.  I called E* last week to request info on their HDTV package. They said they would hook up a 810 receiver for $50. My main concern was whether I could receive my local channels here in HDTV, and they assured I would as long as they are broadcast as such. Yesterday they hooked me up, and the install person informed me that I could receive their HDTV programming package for 9.95 a month, but that doesn't include local HDTV channels, and I would need a separate antenna for that.:confused: I went to Best Buy and puchased a Samsung Axesession indoor amplified HDTV antenna for $99. Our system is in our basement rec room in Theinsville .The antenna brings in WTMJ HD, and MPTVHD wonderfully, but I can't get TV6 or 58.
     My questions are:
     1. If we get rid of E*, and get TWC, do we still need an antenna to get local HDTV?
      2. If we keep E*, and get an outdoor roof mounted HDTV antenna would that get the stations?
     3. We are using component connectors between the set top box and tv, do dvi or hdmi connectors provide that much better of a picture to justify their cost?

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Thank You.

Gregg Lengling

Yes if you use an outdoor antenna you are going to get all the local HD channels (channel6 may be iffy, but should be better in late spring/early summer).  If you decide to cancel and go to TWC you will get 4,6,10,12,36 and 58 digitals.  You will not be getting 18 or 24 at this time.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

xsqsme

Thanks Greg...

...but still confused...we get 4,6,10,12 etc local digitals on E*, but not true HDTV signals...would we get the true HDTV signals on TWC, to eliminate the need for an antenna at all?

Gregg Lengling

To get the HD locals you need an outdoor antenna or you need to go with TWC.  At this time the Sat companies are not delivering HD locals via the satellite.  Both D* and E* HD boxes have an OTA digital receiver to receive the local HD stations.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

jkane

I don't get 58-1 (aka 1-1) nor 6-1 OTA in Thiensville either.

xsqsme

Jeff,
     Waht type of antenna are using?

Stanley Kritzik

Ihave a pretty good OTA antenna pointing at the "farm" in Estabrook Park.  6-1 (Fox) is a complete no-show, and 58-1, etc. can be OK, sometimes and horribly pixellated with audio drop-outs at others.  My attitude, since I can still get ML6 and ML58 from D* is to wait them out.  Yes, I'll miss some HD stuff from time to time, but I just don't want to mount a big honker of an antenna up since I assume these two will want to match 4-1 and 12-1, both of whom ride in with signals in the 90s.

Stan

xsqsme

Stan,

You make a good point.  Your in RH, closer to the towers than me in Thiensville...and you still can't connect to 6...I was thinking of getting a Radio Shack VU 90xr OTA for $55, and I have an installer who 'works on the side' who can have on my roof for $125...not alot of money to lose, if it doesn't work. If it does  works here, it will work for you...I'll let you know.

Chinatown

I installed that same antenna last week. Got 12 HD locals. Be sure to get the HD cable line.

QuoteOriginally posted by xsqsme
Stan,

You make a good point.  Your in RH, closer to the towers than me in Thiensville...and you still can't connect to 6...I was thinking of getting a Radio Shack VU 90xr OTA for $55, and I have an installer who 'works on the side' who can have on my roof for $125...not alot of money to lose, if it doesn't work. If it does  works here, it will work for you...I'll let you know.

jkane

QuoteOriginally posted by xsqsme
Jeff,
     What type of antenna are using?

It's the biggest I could find.  It's a regular log periodic type with plenty of elements.  I mounted it on the roof of a 2 story house.  It's not a mulitple bowtie or anything like that as others have.  I opted to give up when I heard someone near us tried one of those and still got nothing.

I got 1-1 for a few days once, but not since then.  I haven't checked it for a few months though.  I've never gotten 6-1 at all.  If you check all the Fox threads here, you'll find that they direct most of their signal west only.  So those of us in the river valley and to the north get squat!

Actually, I got more of a signal when they were on the little tower on Green Bay ave.  Still not enough to lock onto, but a "higher" number on the simplistic scale for my receiver.

It has also been mentioned that 6's frequency is adjascent to another Digital channel.  I don't remember which.  Anyhow, the other channel is at so much more power, that even if you get a signal where we are, the other bleeds over and causes enough interference to prevent a good lock.  The suggestion is to point off to the edge a bit instead of direct on to the south-south-east.  I tried both ways (a bit east and then west) but no luck either way.  :(  We just have to wait for Fox to go to high power, and/or change their radiation pattern.

If you get a lock with something, let me know.

murdoc

Try the channelmaster 8-bowtie.  I have it installed on a 10' mast on top of my single story home in West Bend.  I get all the local Milwaukee channels including 6-1 and 58-1.  You should have no problem getting these in River Hills or Theinsville.  I realize West Bend is a bit more towards the west, but you should still be able to get a good signal.  Check on //www.antennaweb.org for the direction to point your antenna.  I pointed mine directly at 155 degrees like the website said and everything came in perfectly on the first scan.

mhz40

QuoteOriginally posted by Chinatown
I installed that same antenna last week. Got 12 HD locals. Be sure to get the HD cable line.
There is no such thing as "HD cable line".  Coax is coax.  RG59 for short to medium runs & RG6 for long runs.  I suggest you do not plug RG6 directly into any consumer gear except satellite receivers... the center conducer is so large on RG6 that it can spring open the connector to the point where smaller wire will not fit properly in the future.  Good luck on your antenna install!

Nels Harvey

I get good numbers here in SE Mequon on Fox 6 HD, but still get a lot of pixilation on their feeds.  
I use a corner reflector on my tower, about 20 feet up.
I thought the feed would be better after the leaves fell, but it probably is overload from adjacent channels.
FWIW, the low power Ch. 41 really gets jammed with the Ch. 40 digital RF here.

Forget Packers in HD, the video is so delayed from the WTMJ audio it is confusing.  Oh well....

Nels....
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

Snard

QuoteOriginally posted by Nels Harvey

Forget Packers in HD, the video is so delayed from the WTMJ audio it is confusing.  Oh well....

Nels....
I've thought about that issue - and I know a number of people who prefer to listen to the local announcers covering the game on the radio, with the TV audio muted. I wonder how long it will be before some enterprising person comes out with an audio delay line for the radio, so people can compensate for the digital lag.

I've noticed a similar effect, if my wife has the kitchen (analog) TV on at the same time I'm watching the game on the HD in the family room. The echo is very distracting - but if she misses a play, she can run into the family room really quickly and catch it there, without having to wait for the replay :)
- Mike Shawaluk

Samsung UN46D6000
Philips 40PFL4706/F7B

Now with Windows Media Center and HDHomeRun Prime!