News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Pioneer HD 3510 and DVI output

Started by Y2kGrizz, Saturday May 15, 2004, 10:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Y2kGrizz

Hi everyone, I am having an issue with the TWC HD box that has the DVI output. The manual says it's the BD-V3500HD.
Anyway, when I'm on the channels 500 - 541 (HD stuff) and when I hit the Guide button, the screen freaks out with a ton of squiggly lines, takes a couple of seconds, then finally shows the guide. Sometimes it freaks out, goes blank, then shows the guide.
When on SD channels it makes a smooth transition to the guide and back. I'm speculating that because the HD signal is digital and it outputs digital over DVI, that when I try to call up the guide it has to convert to analog first.
I could live with the freakiness and the delay, except that sometimes it stays "freaked out" with a bunch of squiggly vertical lines. The only way to get back the screen is to remove AC power from the box. Hitting the power button or going to an analog channel has no effect.
Sorry for the long post, but I was wondering if anyone else is using the DVI connection and having the same problem. BTW, I have a Toshiba 46HX83 TV and a Monster DVI-D cable (which the manual says use DVI-D not DVI-I)
I've of course tried TWC to no avail. They didn't even know what DVI is. My next step is to contact Pioneer but they will most likely say call the cbl provider.
Oh well

Paul S.

Thats normal. I some time hafta turn the box off, too. but thats a rare occasion.

summerfun

The problem is, the DVI cable is two way communication with your TV and every time it wants to send a different source signal, your TV will flicker and you get the squiggly lines. It is your TV adjusting to the new signal. You are not getting this on the SD channels becasue they are all the same signal, 480i. The HD channels change from channel to channel and looking for the guide may change as well. This is not broken, that is just the way it works.

Your best bet is to take back the monster DVI cable, get your $100 back and use component cables. You will get the same PQ and will not have the issue of screen flicker every time a signal changes.

You need to set your HD box to only output one resolution all the time. I use 1080i and it works just great. If you choose multiple outputs from your HD box, you will get the same flicker problems, so don't do that. You cannot choose only one output if you use the DVI cable, that is why you are having the problem.

EDITED to correct 480p to say 480i, thanks Paul S for the typo heads up.

Paul S.

QuoteOriginally posted by summerfun
The problem is, the DVI cable is two way communication with your TV and every time it wants to send a different source signal, your TV will flicker and you get the squiggly lines. It is your TV adjusting to the new signal. You are not getting this on the SD channels becasue they are all the same signal, 480p. The HD channels change from channel to channel and looking for the guide may change as well. This is not broken, that is just the way it works.

Your best bet is to take back the monster DVI cable, get your $100 back and use component cables. You will get the same PQ and will not have the issue of screen flicker every time a signal changes.

You need to set your HD box to only output one resolution all the time. I use 1080i and it works just great. If you choose multiple outputs from your HD box, you will get the same flicker problems, so don't do that. You cannot choose only one output if you use the DVI cable, that is why you are having the problem.

SD is in 480i, I thought? And, keep the DVI cable around. You never know when you are going to have to free up an HD input (thats assuming you do not have a buncha extra inputs).

summerfun

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul S.
SD is in 480i, I thought? And, keep the DVI cable around. You never know when you are going to have to free up an HD input (thats assuming you do not have a buncha extra inputs).
My bad, I it was a typo, I ment to say 480i. I still would take back that $100 monster cable. You can go buy one for $20 anytime in the future that you may need to open up a port. But then your going to go back to your flicker problem again.

My hope is that the NEW HD DVR will have the option to adjust the output signal even when using the DVI cable and this will be a non issue.

Y2kGrizz

QuoteOriginally posted by summerfun
You cannot choose only one output if you use the DVI cable, that is why you are having the problem.

I only have the 1080i output selected. But even so, I just switched back to component because I'm sick and tired of resetting the box:(

Thanx for the help, I was pretty sure why it was happening, I'm just glad to see I'm not the only one.

BTW, if you only set one output setting at 1080i does this box upconvert?
I highly doubt it, but it never hurts to ask:D

See Ya

summerfun

QuoteOriginally posted by Y2kGrizz

BTW, if you only set one output setting at 1080i does this box upconvert?
Yes, it does upconvert everyting to 1080i, but you have to understand, garbage in, gargabe out. Just becasue you upconvert a 480i signal to 1080i, it does not make it look any better.

That actually will opens a can of worms. Many will argue that it helps, others will say it hurts, I just don't see a difference. Some people go out and buy upconverter DVD players and think they will get HD quality out of a DVD. The fact remains, a DVD is still only 480i and upconverting it does not make it HD.

You should be happy using the component cables and leaving your box set to 1080i only output. No more screen flicker.

Andrew Grall

Bringing this thread back up...

I just got this cable box hooked up to my "loaner" Samsung HLP5663 (I'm waiting for the JVC I bought to get in stock.).  I'm using a DVI-HDMI cable.

One thing I noticed, other than the slow response and very ugly jaggie guide, is that through the DVI output, the menu does not give resolution options.  :confused:  It does, however, through component cables.  So, as a work-around, I set output resolutions to both 720p and 1080i through component and then hooked it back up through the DVI.

Anyone else seen this?

Thanks.

summerfun

You cannot set the "output" options when using DVI. The DVI cable will always use the input signal.

This is one of the downsides to DVI. You will get a screen flicker every time you change channels that has a different input.

EXAMPLE: Change from a 1080i to a 1080i channel, no problem. Change from a 1080i to a 720p channel and you will get screen flicker as the system resets itself to the new resolution.

You get the same problem if you use component and set the STB to allow more than one output.

BEST SOLUTION IMO: Don't use DVI. Use component and leave your STB on 1080i all the time. Never a screen flicker change issue and the PQ looks great all the time.

Andrew Grall

That seems very odd...

Well, my 2 component inputs are taken up by other things, so I was really planning on using the DVI (or HDMI) input for cable...

Since my TV does 720p natively, should I set it to only 720p to avoid some of the changing?

mhz40

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Grall
Since my TV does 720p natively, should I set it to only 720p to avoid some of the changing?
Yes.  Setting the set top to 720p would eliminate the TV's need to change modes to 1080i.  If you think your TV has a better scaling chipset inside than the set top (and don't mind the small TV lag while it changes to different input formats), then select all of the formats on the set top's output format menu and let your set do the work.  Just make sure your TV accepts 480i on it's component input first...

summerfun

Try both and see what works best for you. My set is native 720p as well, but I get a better PQ with the 1080i output. Go figure!!

I really don't like the screen flicker between input channel changes, so I still suggest selecting only one output.

QuoteWell, my 2 component inputs are taken up by other things, so I was really planning on using the DVI (or HDMI) input for cable...
Can you use the DVI input for one of your other devices that does not need to change signals? Do you have a receiver that you can use as a switch box?

I send my DVD and X-box both through my receiver so they only use one of my TV component inputs. My STB uses the other TV component input. Three devices, only two TV component inputs used.

Andrew Grall

QuoteCan you use the DVI input for one of your other devices that does not need to change signals? Do you have a receiver that you can use as a switch box?

I send my DVR and X-box both through my receiver so they only use one of my TV component inputs. My STB uses the other TV component input. Three devices, only two TV component inputs used.

Someday when I get a new receiver, this will not be an issue.  But my current receiver does not have component switching.

The 2 things I have hooked up through component:
X-Box (no DVI capability that I am aware of)
DVD player (one of the best progressive players, but no DVI)

Can't the manufacturers of the cable boxes do a better job with DVI output?

summerfun

Can't the manufacturers of the cable boxes do a better job with DVI output?
The easy answer would be for them to allow you to choose your output even if your using a DVI cable. Unfortunaly, that is not the case right now. I have no idea if they plan to change.

If you switch to the HD DVR, it does not even have an active DVI port.