News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DIRECTV Adding 30 New HD Channels Starting in May

Started by kevbeck122, Tuesday Apr 20, 2010, 12:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevbeck122

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/article.jsp?assetId=P6770018

QuoteAmong the 30 new HD channels that DIRECTV will begin launching next month are:

* CSN Bay Area HD
    * CSN California HD
    * Encore HD East
    * ESPNU HD
    * FSN Florida HD
    * GolTV HD
    * Hallmark Channel HD
    * Hallmark Movie Channel HD
    * HBO2 East HD
    * HBO Zone HD
    * Lifetime HD
    * MSNBC HD

* Showtime Beyond HD
    * Showtime Next HD
    * Showtime Women HD
    * STARZ Cinema HD
    * STARZ In Black HD
    * Telefutura HD West
    * TMC Xtra HD East
    * Travel Channel HD
    * Univision HD East
    * WGN HD
    * Additional DIRECTV Cinema Channels

murdoc

RLJSlick

That's a pretty weak list, I have to admit they will have to do better then that or I may bail and go with a cheaper U-verse, now that AT&T made it to Franksville.
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

kevbeck122

They're probably still working out the contracts... but more channels are likely to come with the new sat eventually (hopefully still in this quarter).  The sat has the capacity for up to an additional 80 national HD channels.

They might also be playing it safe with a limited amount of new channels since D12 is still at its testing location and needs three weeks to drift to its final location whenever it starts moving.

Mark Strube

This weak announcement coupled with yet another delay of the new DirecTiVo, has caused me to drop their service.

With DirecTV, for their Premier package, 1 HD-DVR, 2 HD receivers, 1 standard receiver, plus the insurance, we were paying $165 a month.

Just turned on the Time Warner, with 3 HD receivers, a CableCARD for the TiVo Premiere, and bundled with Road Runner Turbo and Digital Phone... the TOTAL every month will be around $160. (And I'll get more HD I'll actually enjoy, like more HD movie channels, E! HD, and BBC HD... and REAL onDemand. Imagine that.)

gparris

The only thing you will hate, Mark Strube, is the Switched Digital Video (SDV) TWC is using, sometimes it gets irritating, but it allows for more HD channel capacity.;)

Without DirectTivoHD and BBCAHD, I wouldn't change to DirecTV (yet), so your decision is a valid one for your requirements and you get ON Demand, something I really like when I forget to record a show.:D

-I cannot believe what DirecTV was charging you, though...ugh.

REVM1M

I'll get more HD I'll actually enjoy

are you kidding me, there is no way that cable offers more HD than Directv. I dumped cable 15 years ago when Directv started here and NEVER would go back to cable.

Mark Strube

Have you actually looked at the current channel list? If you're not going to put time or research into your statements here, I'm not going to do all the work for you with an informed response.

nwerner

Quote from: Mark Strube;55428Have you actually looked at the current channel list? If you're not going to put time or research into your statements here, I'm not going to do all the work for you with an informed response.

While I am happily a D* customer this comment is absolutely accurate at the moment.  I have been very tempted to make the move back to TWC.  Based on a comparison of the HD channel lists of D* and TWC at this exact point in time, the list is tilted in favor of TWC.  The only channel that D* has that TWC doesn't that is close to a deal breaker for me is NFL Network.  That and I am not crazy about what I have heard about the switched digital process.  

However, that gap will disappear over the coming months once D12 goes live.

Chinatown

A&E HD
ABC Family
Animal Planet HD
BBC America HD
BET HD
Big Ten Network2
Biography Channel HD
Bravo HD
Cartoon Network HD
CBS College Sports HD
CMT HD
CNBC HD
CNN HD
Comedy Central HD
Discovery Channel HD
DISH Network ON DEMAND1
DISH Network PAY PER VIEW1
Disney Channel HD
Disney XD HD
E! Entertainment Television HD
Encore HD (E)
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
ESPNEWS HD
Food Network HD
Fox Business Network HD
FOX News Channel HD
Fox Soccer Channel HD
FX HD
G4 HD
Golf Channel HD
Hallmark Channel HD
Hallmark Movie Channel HD
HD Theater
HDNet
HGTV HD
History HD
History International HD
HLN HD
Lifetime HD
Lifetime Movie Network HD
msnbc HD
MTV HD
National Geographic Channel HD
Nat Geo Wild HD
NBA TV HD
NFL Network HD
NHL Network HD
Nickelodeon HD
Palladia
Planet Green HD
Science Channel HD
SPEED HD
Sportsman Channel HD
Spike HD
Style HD
Syfy HD
TBS HD
Tennis Channel HD
TLC HD
TNT HD
Travel Channel HD
Travel Channel HD
truTV HD
Turner Classic Movies HD
USA Network HD
Versus HD
VH1 HD
Weather Channel HD
WGN America

+ the platinum package for an extra $10.00

Epix
Retroplex
Indieplex
Hd Net Movies
CI
Logo
Mav TV
MGM
Shorts
Universal HD
Paladia
CRTC
FTV

Looks like "D" is well behind the curve.

kevbeck122

These five might be live on Wednesday or Thursday morning:  
277 *TRAVHD
307 *WGNHD
356 *MNBCHD
560 *HLMKHD
614 *ESPUHD

The rest are supposed to go live sometime in the summer according to DIRECTV... possibly in June.

Chinatown

Gee, "Dish" has had those, and much more for over a year.

Mark Strube

Most of us on this forum, who happen to not be a fan of one service or the other, are perfectly capable of "Boooo-ing" on the inside. I'd recommend you take that approach.

Chinatown

It seems that everyone downplays "Dish" as second rate to "D". I have had both. The only thing they are missing is the MLB & NFL package. Outside of that they are mirror images of each other.

gparris

My friend just south of me has a Illinois address, he gets his Dishnetwork HD channels with 5 HD locals, including 2 the Wisconsin address wouldn't get him- CBSHD and CWHD, he's very happy with the HD DVR and gets BBCA-HD, something Directv's new "HD channel additions" doesn't offer.:D

If Directv had that channel in its addition lineup now, I'd switch and if Dish could get me their local HD lineup from Chicago (or the same from Milwaukee at least), I would switch, but I won't for now...TWC's SDV system is driving me crazy.:eek: