News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Where does the analog programming on 10 go?

Started by jimmymke, Sunday Mar 30, 2008, 09:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmymke

Greetings.  Looking forward to a new digital tv in the near future, but still stuck with analog and searching out info to get up to speed.  Thanks to all who post.
When I search tv listings, using Titan TV for instance, I can choose digital or analog programming to look at.  When I switch from analog to digital and see the new vast choices channel 10 has, I don't see the original analog program on any of the digital channels.  Right now, Sunday morning, my kid is watching Reading Rainbow on analog 10, but I don't see that listed on any of the digital channels. Most others still put the analog show on a digital channel, like Face the Nation on 58 and 58.1.  Do we lose that option with channel 10?  Thanks.

Jim in Oconomowoc

ArgMeMatey

That's a good question.  I think 10-36 has decided to not simulcast in most cases.  I don't know why.  

I can guess that they figure if you have access to 10-36 digital, you  also have access to 10-36 analog, so since they have alternate programs available, why would they simulcast?  

I don't know what their long-term plan is, however.

jimmymke

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;45404That's a good question.  I think 10-36 has decided to not simulcast in most cases.  I don't know why.  

I can guess that they figure if you have access to 10-36 digital, you  also have access to 10-36 analog.

-Forgot to mention I don't pay for tv, all OTA out in Oconomowoc.

But when I get a tv with the digital tuner, will I have access to anyone's analog OTA signal?  Do they still have NTSC tuners in the new tvs that allow you to choose?
Not a big deal, just doesn't make sense that digital viewers would be excluded from the bread and butter programming on PBS.  Noticed it on 21 Madison as well.

Jim

Jayflap

At this time there is not a simulcast of analog 10 or 36 on any of the digital channels until primetime when the programming on analog 10 is simulcast on 36-1. Right now there are still discussions going on as to where the current schedules of analog 10 and 36 will end up in the array of channels that are currently originating from the station.

The ability to not simulcast was actually a special deal that MPTV had to work out with the FCC when the digital channels went up. Due to the alternate offerings (originally the 3 hour delay for each station) the FCC was willing to grant a special request for MPTV to not have to simulcast.

Again, the conversation as to the future layout of the channels is happening at MPTV and hopefully a decision will be made soon for everyone to prepare for the digital transition.

J

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: jimmymke;45412when I get a tv with the digital tuner, will I have access to anyone's analog OTA signal?  Do they still have NTSC tuners in the new tvs that allow you to choose?

There are reportedly some coupon-eligible ATSC external converters that at least when OFF will pass NTSC through to the TV.  I don't have one and I don't have specifics.  

If you want to do this with a TV that has a built-in tuner, you should be OK.  I've only played with an Olevia 537, but it will auto-search and display all NTSC and ATSC OTA channels that it can find.  For example it will find 4, 6, 10, 12, 18, 24, 36, 58 NTSC and also 4.1, 4.2 .... 58.1, 58.2, 58.3 ATSC.

jimmymke

That was my next question:  if a channel isn't yet broadcasting in digital or HD, will the new tvs pick up and display the analog?

picopir8

Every tuner I have seen picks up analog. However newer TVs/tuner boxes that come out closer to the cutoff date may not have analog since there would be little justification for adding it.