News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Media Center Listings for Pbs

Started by jcdday, Wednesday Jan 16, 2008, 11:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcdday

In Windows Vista Media Center, what listings (or station call letters) do you enter for channels 10-2, 10-3, 10-4, 10-5 and 36-1 to be able to download the schedule for these channels?  

Thanks!

Will

Quote from: jcdday;43872In Windows Vista Media Center, what listings (or station call letters) do you enter for channels 10-2, 10-3, 10-4, 10-5 and 36-1 to be able to download the schedule for these channels?  

Thanks!

Good luck on this one.  I have the same problem, and Microsoft seems to not care.  They give this problem lip service, but there sure as heck is no solution forthcoming.

See http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/1/174452/ShowThread.aspx

Hope you have a while to read that whole thread; it's pretty interesting.  Note that JessZahn is a Microsoft employee on the Vista Media Center team.  Further note that she claimed delivering ATSC subchannels was a "priority" last March.  Yikes.

There is a relatively easy way to get the proper data for 58-2.  Since 58-2 is the same as analog 41, you can remap the guide data from 41 to 58-2.  There's no such fix for 10-1 through 10-4, as there is no analog equivalent.

Hope that helps.  If you come up with a solution, by all means post it.

CWA

You can remap the guide info from the subchannels that Time-Warner broadcasts on 550-554 to the appropriate over the air channels in Media Center. (It should work with any cable operator that rebroadcasts these channels.)

It worked for me, but I can't remember exactly how I did it.

Jayflap

The odd thing is that MCE gets it's information from Zap2it.com. If you go to Zap2it.com, they have all the proper listings for 10.1-10.8 and 36.1. Why Microsoft cannot get the correct listings is confusing.

J

GBK

Quote from: Jayflap;43964The odd thing is that MCE gets it's information from Zap2it.com. If you go to Zap2it.com, they have all the proper listings for 10.1-10.8 and 36.1. Why Microsoft cannot get the correct listings is confusing.

J

I've talked to them about it and believe me there is some people there that just don't get it.. they're using NTSC listing not the digital (ATSC) ones which is why you don't have guide information.. you have to map a secondary channel listing to your OTA chanels.. ie cable listings. that has all the Digital Versions of guide to allow mapping to the ATSC channels in Media Center.. Confusing... YES ... Idiotic YES as well.

Will

If anyone knows how to map guide data from TWC 501-504 to the analog 10-1 to 10-4, I would greatly appreciate it if you could post how you did it.  When I tried, I was only able to set up TWC data, and couldn't add the OTA ATSC channels afterward.

The setup has you tell it how you get your signal.  It says you can set up OTA after you do cable, but I can't figure out how to get OTA added as a source after I've selected cable.  It was an exercise in frustration.  I only have one tuner card.

Thanks,
Will

GBK

Quote from: Will;43978If anyone knows how to map guide data from TWC 501-504 to the analog 10-1 to 10-4, I would greatly appreciate it if you could post how you did it.  When I tried, I was only able to set up TWC data, and couldn't add the OTA ATSC channels afterward.

The setup has you tell it how you get your signal.  It says you can set up OTA after you do cable, but I can't figure out how to get OTA added as a source after I've selected cable.  It was an exercise in frustration.  I only have one tuner card.

Thanks,
Will

does your card only support one or the other format (what tuner is it?) or is it a hybrid design? You need a "Ntsc" tuner and a ATSC tuner for that to work if your card is picking one or the other you'll have a problem.

Will

Quote from: GBK;43986does your card only support one or the other format (what tuner is it?) or is it a hybrid design? You need a "Ntsc" tuner and a ATSC tuner for that to work if your card is picking one or the other you'll have a problem.

I have this card.  It's a re-branded Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1500.  It is a hybrid tuner.  So. I guess that's my answer, then?  A hybrid tuner won't let me set up the guide for both TW and OTA ATSC, since there's only one tuner?

Thanks for the help,
Will

GBK

Quote from: Will;43996I have this card.  It's a re-branded Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1500.  It is a hybrid tuner.  So. I guess that's my answer, then?  A hybrid tuner won't let me set up the guide for both TW and OTA ATSC, since there's only one tuner?

Thanks for the help,
Will

exactly it's only 1 tuner so when you select ATSC source you get the NTSC antenna  guide data which doesn't include PBS since the guide info supplied doesn't show all the additional digital channels...  there is a hack of trying to get your guide .. I've never tried it and so I can't speak to the success.. it requires registry editing.  do it at your own risk.

http://www.accidentsworld.com/mceguides/vista-atschack.htm

jcdday

My just updated Vista Home Premium to Service Pack 1 still does not download the correct listings for Pbs.

Tom Snyder

Does Vista's Service Pack1 restore your OS to XP? :rof:
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

flash

Quote from: Tom Snyder;45491Does Vista's Service Pack1 restore your OS to XP? :rof:

Now that's funny right ther' I don't care who ya are. :rof: :rof: