News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC Navigator/Box Updates

Started by Jack 1000, Tuesday Aug 03, 2010, 04:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack 1000

Quote from: ddeerrff;57334If this is what I think it is, put it first on my list.  I am really sick of seeing something in the guide, selecting it, only to see it is a channel I am not subscribed to.  I want those channels I am not subscribed to out of the listings - frustrating me like it currently does is NOT going to get me to subscribe to something new.

The Guide Filtering is in MDN 3.0.  But it doesn't "stick."  You can filter by HD channels, subscribed channels, Favorite Channels, OR PPV.  But the results are only during the search.  A source of mine who sits in on Navigator development meetings wanted the Guide Filter to be permanent, but was voted down.

He believes that TWC thinks if the guide filtering was permanent that people would never see channels to which they don't subscribe, and TWC doesn't want to do that.  They want people to see a show in the guide and order the channel that they don't get to see the show to get more money.  Filtering by Subscribed Channels only, would make unsubscribed channels forgettable to the customer.

However, we think that if there is a huge enough demand for a guide filter that can be made permanent with a change option if desired, TWC might do that type of filter in the future.  Maybe they will be gaging customer feedback on this feature in MDN 3.0 to evaluate what to do with filtering in the next ODN build.  I think we will see some additional features in each subsequent build.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Talos4

QuoteHe believes that TWC thinks if the guide filtering was permanent that people would never see channels to which they don't subscribe, and TWC doesn't want to do that. They want people to see a show in the guide and order the channel that they don't get to see the show to get more money. Filtering by Subscribed Channels only, would make unsubscribed channels forgettable to the customer.

IF I wanted those channels I'd order them.

Instead I have to go through 100's of channels while guide surfing and end up missing what I might watch because it took a half hour ((exaggeration please don't write me)) to surf the guide and the show is either over or half over.  

Morons.

ddeerrff

Exactly Talos4.  Half hour is not an exaggeration, particularly when you hit one of the OD channels and the box freezes up for 30 seconds while it is 'Loading data'.  

If I want a channel or channel group, I will order it.  Irritating your customers is not the way to make a sale.

Jack 1000

A software update should be coming within next month to August that will add some new features to the boxes and hopefully improve speed as well.

You can read about the new version here.  This upgrade will be applied to all TWC box terminals running the OCAP (ODN) Newer model boxes.  ODN boxes are any units that have a C in the model number (SA/Cisco) OR are a Samsung.  Here is the information on the next release.  It's ODN 4.5. (We are on ODN 4.0.24.)

http://www.engadget.com/photos/time-warner-cable-twcable-tv-and-florence-odn-update-details/#4232815

Jack

PS.  These release notes, will also include a new IPG for i-pad.  TWC TV for i-Pad 2.0.  As I understand it, a subscription to any TWC Digital Tier on a TWC STB will be required for the new i-pad program guide applet, which is supposed to be ready on June 28th.

Jack 1000

SA-8300HDC box just got updated to some new features.

Should include. (Have not tested everything.)

DVR Compensation: Control Amount of DVR Jump Back Time
Embedded Channel Banner
Auto HD Control in Settings

Let me know if you see any new features.

Jack

klwillis45

My 8300HDC got hit with an update last night too.

They only thing I noticed in the few minutes I had it on was that the "enhanced TV" menu was shifted down to the info banner so it now matches my non-C box.

gparris

My 8300HD got a update, the graphics are better, the layout makes more sense than before and I got 4x fast forward, including a more complete description of the info on screen after the recording is done with, something only the 8300HDC unit in the other room had before. While this was a rather subtle update to this box, it is a welcome one.:)
I didn't really notice anything on the 8300HDC to report, other than when you go to delete a programme or series of  because you watched in another room already, the process is slightly faster, now.

Jack 1000

Quote from: gparris;57696My 8300HD got a update, the graphics are better, the layout makes more sense than before and I got 4x fast forward, including a more complete description of the info on screen after the recording is done with, something only the 8300HDC unit in the other room had before. While this was a rather subtle update to this box, it is a welcome one.:)
I didn't really notice anything on the 8300HDC to report, other than when you go to delete a program or series of  because you watched in another room already, the process is slightly faster, now.

Sup GP?

It sounds like you have the legacy box (No C, not a Samsung) Because those boxes are no longer being made, TWC will likely only be doing bug fixes for these models.

Did you get Guide Filtering in this update?  Press Guide twice and you can filter search results by Subscribed Channels, Favorite Channels, HD, and PPV.  The stupid thing is that it only works during the search.  TWC's twisted logic is they don't want you to permanently be able to show only subscribed channels for example.  They want you to see a package in the guide that you don't have and order it.  The legacy version of these boxes is MDN.  The newer version of the boxes (a C in the model number or a Samsung) is called ODN.

GP, you might have also gotten the return of Sort by Favorites and/or the return of the Favorite Channels List.  My source says that this was added back to MDN boxes. (Check Settings and Favorite Channels to see if there is something added.)

I don't have an MDN box anymore.  Still wish I did, because they are faster!

It looks like TWC is finishing up the updates for the legacy boxes.  It is believed that the next update for ODN may included the guide filtering and the favorite channels list expandability.

The ODN build (C-boxes and Samsungs) got 4x RR/FF and DVR Compensation added.  Guide Transparency is added and there might be expanded Bookmarks for Start Over and Look Back.

The next big update for ODN is going to be an Auto HD update setting that can be turned on or off.  When turned on, the guide will "auto tune" to any corresponding HD channel for both playback AND recording if an SD channel is selected!  When activated, it acts to stop uninformed people from recording SD content thinking it is HD, but also allows people to concern DVR drive space by turning it off if the source program is not HD, or for those times that creep up when the HD version of the channel does not come in due to SDV issues.

I want Keyword Search though!  DAMN IT!!!!!  It's ridiculous to fart around with that keyboard when all you get are title results.  This is great for movies, but little else, as Sports Games and teams are not often organized by show titles, making the keyboard useless in this regard.  I do think TWC cares about this feature, because we have seen it on Remote DVR Manager and also next month, (if it has  not been released already) an update will be provided for i-Guide that will include keyword description search,  I heard through the grapevine from higher ups that TWC is working to improve the search functionality of the boxes, so there is hope!  I hope!

Jack

uwgrad

There's a big downside to the new MDN software though.  The live buffer is only about 20 minutes which is way too short.  

Also the "Normal" DVR compensation seems to go back quite a bit farther than it did before, and the "Less" is not enough.

Jack 1000

Quote from: uwgrad;57698There's a big downside to the new MDN software though.  The live buffer is only about 20 minutes which is way too short.  

Also the "Normal" DVR compensation seems to go back quite a bit farther than it did before, and the "Less" is not enough.

UGHHH!!!!  A 20 minute buffer on the new MDN update!  That sucks!  I will have to inquire about this!  I only have an ODN box.  But I agree about the DVR Compensation at least from the standpoint of ODN as well.

Jack

Jack 1000

Got an automated call from TWC that the ODN models of the cable boxes. (C-models and Samsungs) will get a software update sometime Tuesday morning between 2-6am. (So it's like Monday night into Tuesday morning.)  You should not use the converter at this time, and there will be at least two reboots, (probably three.)

They say the process will take at least 20 minutes.  My experience shows that it could be about 20 mins to 45 minutes.  Just a heads up.

Jack

Jack 1000

Hummm,

It updated on schedule, but no change in software version. Still on ODN 4.1.06. Prep for 5.0? A cable card fix?

Jack

PONIES

Hah, you stayed up to this hour just to watch your box update?

You really do love your Time Warner software.

I just want a HD interface. The current Navigator interface looks like something out of the early '90s.

Jack 1000

Quote from: PONIES;58433Hah, you stayed up to this hour just to watch your box update?

You really do love your Time Warner software.

I just want a HD interface. The current Navigator interface looks like something out of the early '90s.

LOL!!!  I used to though! (stay up to watch!)  We have a poster at AVS that makes snacks and stuff and counts down with the box like it's New Years Eve!!! LOL!!!  He is waiting for new features!

Jack

Jack 1000

Quote from: Jack 1000;58434LOL!!!  I used to though! (stay up to watch!)  We have a poster at AVS that makes snacks and stuff and counts down with the box like it's New Years Eve!!! LOL!!!  He is waiting for new features!

Jack

Another update going through now.

Jack