News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Samsung TS360 dropping Fox6 from channel list

Started by brewtownska, Monday Jan 23, 2006, 12:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brewtownska

I've got a Samsung TS360 being used for OTA HD only, and I'm happy with it except for 1 quirk.  On almost a daily basis, I "lose" my Fox6 HD channel from my channel lineup and have to go through the menus to re-add it (it ends up in my deleted channels list).  Sure, it only takes about 30 seconds to do it, but as with many people here know, it shouldn't happen and I'm looking to find out WHY it happens.

From various other forums, it sounds like this probably has to do with the data that gets passed along with the channel for channel name, program info, etc (is it called PSIP data?).  I've seen on the AVS forum that other people are having similar issues, and many times it is the Fox channels.  I also see that each receiver brand handles the data differently, so it's possible many boxes handle bad data just fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I go from here?  Has anyone verified if Fox6's data is being trasmitted according to specs?  Anyone else have the same sort of problems (especially if it's the same receiver model).  I know someone will ask about firmware...I'm fairly sure I have the most recent firmware (1.2.35 is what I see, and had even called DirecTV to ask if that was current...I was surprised they gave me that info, seeing that I'm not even a customer of them).

I have an old Samsung TS160 that's not currently being used, and I don't remember ever dealing with this issue on that model.  But I like the TS360 over the old box mostly for the fact that it sorts the channels in order of remapped channel numbers (so it goes in order of 4-1, 6-1, 10-1, 12-1 etc)...I think the TS160 sorted by the channels true VHF/UHF frequencies, so I always had to bring up the guide in order to find what channel I wanted to watch.

One other thing I read was about sometimes the box will do quirky things depending on what zipcode was entered into it...so I removed the zipcode and rebooted it to see if it helps...no difference.  I had to actually use a blank DirecTV access card I had from a friend in order to set the box up to say it has a dish, remove the zipcode, then change it back to the OTA setting (no dish).  At least nothing else broke when I did that ;o)

I look forward to some responses...

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

StarvingForHDTV

My Samsung SIR-T151 has trouble with their program guide data.  I can call up the show title, but when I want the guide I have to push the guide button on the remote twice to get it to show up.

My guess is they are sending out their PSIP data incorrectly.  I don't think that station pays any attention to this forum, so it could involve a phone call to the station to inform them of the issue.

brewtownska

Guys,

I now realize that I may have put this in the wrong forum...it probably is better off in the Technical threads (maybe not even limited to just Samsung 360's either).  So if any admin feels like moving it and/or changing the name of the thread, feel free.

But now to the good stuff!  I sent an email to Fox6 about the PSIP data possibly being bad, and although it took a while, I finally got a response yesterday!  It came from Don Hain, VP of Eng & Ops.  The message is saying that they will look into this and get back to me with any findings.  So at least someone is looking into it.  I passed along some other info I found on the avsforum from Fox PSIP issues in other cities...maybe he'll ask around to see if anyone has had the issues and fixed them.

I guess what I'm looking for now is a show of hands on who else has issues that you think are related to bad PSIP data on Fox6.  As you can see above, my issue is that everyday, my Samsung TS360 moves Fox6's 6-1 mapping into my deleted channels list.  I can move it back to a valid channel, but within a few hours it usually ends up back in my deleted list.

For best results, you should probably include your brand/model of HD box so we can see if it's a common problem with only a select few boxes.

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

tazman

I am kinda of the opinion that the guides are screwed up on almost a daily basis.  I've noticed all the same issues with my Integra.  Matter of fact my son just bought a new 61" JVC Lcos set.  His guide never works consistently on his built in digital tuner either.

brewtownska

I haven't actually received any more emails from my contact at Fox6, but it's now been 4 days since my TS360 has lost 6-1 in it's channel mapping.  So at this point I'm assuming SOMETHING has been changed on their end behind the scenes.

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

StarvingForHDTV

I agree that something has changed.  Their program guide data now shows up right away for me, just like it is supposed to.