News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

HD local news...summer?

Started by brewtownska, Wednesday Apr 20, 2005, 11:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brewtownska

Just wanted to let you guys know that I talked to one of the a/v guys at the Fox 6 studios (my band, Something To Do, was playing live on the morning show today), and asked how far away we are from seeing the local news in HD.  Expecting an answer like "we're far from it", I actually gone one like "we might have it ready by summer".  Also asked the question everyone asked...when will we see full power turned on, and the answer for that was "summer" too.

I have no idea if the cameras they are currently using are set up for HD, as I didn't see any of the symbols I recognized on them (as I see on the events covering the HD sporting events).  So new cameras could easily be one of the holdups.

I know someone asked the forum who they think will be the first local news team to broadcast HD...unless someone else has info from the other stations, sounds like Fox 6 may be coming out on top.

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

murdoc

I really wouldn't be surprised if Fox 6 was the first to HD.  Weren't they the last local station to start HD broadcasts?  I really am surprised by this since they are O&O by Fox National.  That said, I think Fox National might be willing to toss some extra money our way.  I have already seen the national news on Sunday morning in HD.  I really can't wait for more HD news.  I really hope Fox 6 is the first to do this, as this will only help solidify them as my favorite local news channel.

MathWiz579

In the words of Peter Griffin, that would be friggen' sweet!

Bebop

So, you guys would actually wanted to watch their over hyped snow storm coverage in HD?  :)

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

AndrewP

Whoever will do the switch to HD first gets me. :)
Hate SD, and now is forced to watch much more SD with V* demise :bang:

Doug Mohr

Quote from: BebopSo, you guys would actually wanted to watch their over hyped snow storm coverage in HD?  :)

Baby steps   :)

Maybe they could actually run a crawl in HD that says "Snow flakes coming! Tune to Sub-channel 2 for complete flake by flake coverage!"

Then they just need a sub channel (unless they already have one I don't know about).

Doug

gb4fan92

So did anyone read todays paper??    :(

Matt Heebner

Yea..I did. Ya think that Tm Cuprisin reads the forum once in a while ??? I figure the second a news station figures out how to get themselves ahead in the ratings, and/or makes money...thats when they will go HD.

Matt

brewtownska

Wow, I just read Cuprisin's column.  I sure hope I didn't get anyone canned in mentioning that  :confused:  The Chuck Steinmetz reply sounded like he was a little ticked off about the "rumor".  But hey, it's not like I went to the papers with the info...I just posted here for my close group of friends.  What happens after that is outta my hands...

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

John L

Now that an announcement was made about WITI-TV Fox 6 providing News in HD by summer, it leaves enough time (2 months)  for WTMJ-TV and WISN-TV to make simular moves.

You have to know these stations compete like hell with each other.  WTMJ-TV might not allow this and quickly take out a loan and upgrade their news set and replace equipment with HD stuff.

So will see who will be the first to provide local Milwaukee News in HD soon!

I also predict that in the fall WTMJ-TV will be expanding thier weekday 6:00 pm news broadcast to an hour.  The reason I figure is that WTMJ no longer has the rights to "Wheel of Fortune".  So by September "Wheel of Fortune" will be moving to WDJT-TV ch. 58, so therefore WTMJ-TV will fill the 6:30 pm time slot by expanding their news broadcast.

Its obvious that Milwaukee still does not have enough local TV news coverage.

-John L.

Gregg Lengling

Quote from: John LNow that an announcement was made about WITI-TV Fox 6 providing News in HD by summer, it leaves enough time (2 months)  for WTMJ-TV and WISN-TV to make simular moves.

-John L.
If you follow the news you will find that this is just a rumor.  Fox6 is upgrading their digital chain at the studio and will allow for HD News in the future but they don't have the necessary equipment yet and don't have plans for HD News at this time.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

techguy1975

I think this summer would be a little early for any station to launch news in HD.    That would envolve changing out alot of equipment.   I think alot of stations are doing editing on digital equipment now, but to do news in HD would involve chaging all the studio equipment, eng vans, field cameras, and more I'm sure.   Why bother doing news in HD when there is only a small portion of people cabable of seeing it.  Maybe early next year, once more people are on board with hd equipment at home

John L

What WITI-DT should be concentrating on is replacing their DTV transmitter and take out the 9 volt battery and replace it with a normal High wattage and INCREASE that power bigtime so that everyone, including those people on the north side who live 5 blocks north of the WITI-DT transmitter can actually start receiving their signal.

I have no problem getting WITI-DT here in Muskego at all.  WISN-DT is not easy to pickup even before and after their "power increase", which didn't make a difference.

-John L.

Tom Snyder

QuoteI sure hope I didn't get anyone canned

Don't worry Mike.  Chuck says it's all good. Because of all the improvements they're making to their infrastructure, it's easy for someone in the trenches to misunderstand what they're doing.

BTW... Chuck said 50,000 people saw your performance.  :rock:
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

randro

Is seeing local news anchors in HD a high priority. With Jerry Taff retiring, we'll never get to see him in HD.