News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Samsung TS-160 for OTA only

Started by brewtownska, Saturday Jan 08, 2005, 07:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brewtownska

Sounds like we all turned to Ebay to start our OTA only trials today, as I saw 2 other people with posts about Hughes set-tops!

I bought a RCA DTC-100 for my projector, and it's fine (I need a better antenna, but it works).  Today I just got a used Samsung TS-160 which I plan on also using for OTA only.  Problem with this one is similar to the Hughes in the other thread, but when I got to tell the TS160 what type of satellite dish I have, it gets mad as there is no access card installed.

Can anyone confirm if the TS-160 from Samsung (or even ANY of the D* samsungs) can get OTA only WITHOUT an access card?

At this point I don't know if that specifically is my problem, or if it's one of the others in the list.  It came FedEx, but with a horrible packing job as a piece of the plastic side came off.  Also, the OK button on the front panel is stuck inside the unit (although I was able to get it back where it goes, and I *THINK* it's good where it is now).  Mine also came WITHOUT a remote, and wouldn't ya know...none of my universals are new enough to pick up on the codes (or maybe the remote sensor is bad in the Samsung).

I found I can get into the service menu by holding MENU and hitting the right arrow on the front of the unit.  In there, I tried using the REBOOT option...no help.  There's a RESET option in the service menu, but that won't do anything without a D* access card.  GRRRRR!!!!!

I guess if anyone can confirm this model, and/or other Samsungs can be used for OTA only WITHOUT an access card, I will then look to getting a remote that could help me.  If I need an access card, I wonder if I can get an old expired one just to make the machine happy something is inserted?  I'm not hooking my phone line up to it (as I have no home phone), so hopefully that has nothing to do with it.

Hopefully I can get some help between football games :)

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Nels Harvey

I have an available D* access card that isn't being used right now, if you would like to try it.

Nels....
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

brewtownska

Nels, thanks for the offer, but today I was actually able to borrow an old unused card from a co-worker.  I went home on lunch, and sure enough I was able to access everything I wanted to because the card was inserted.  I told the machine I had no dish, it changed modes, now it's strictly OTA.  I took the card out to test if the receiver would still work, and it does.  My next test is to disconnect the unit from the power outlet for a few hours, then power up without the card (to see if it saves the settings).  If it does save settings, then I don't see any reason to have the card anymore.  The one thing I might want to do before giving the card back to my co-worker is to check with Samsung about the newest Firmware.  Something on their website says the TS160 and a few other models NEED the new firmware before early February 2005, else they may not tune into certain channels sending out programming protected with the broadcast flag.

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

smack

They upgrade the system through the dish.  So if you don't have a dish hooked up to it I am not sure if you will be able to get the upgrade.  

I am not sure of any other way to upgrade.  There might be, but I do not know of any.

smack

brewtownska

From the Samsung website, apparently the only way to get a firmware upgrade on the TS160 is to send the receiver to them.  Whether I do it depends on how much it's gonna cost me in shipping (1 way or both ways).  It sounds like for people who have the receivers with a RS232 connection, they can get a kit sent to them (or maybe it's a download).  Like you said smack, this is only for people like me without DirecTV service.

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

StarvingForHDTV

Thanks for the tip.  My upgrade kit is on the way.  I have the SIR-T151  I had no idea that my set top would become unusable without getting the kit mailed to me.  Just another reason to be thankful that this forum exists.... :)

http://product.samsung.com/stb_upgrade/

Nels Harvey

Because of this thread, I sent away for a "kit" to update my Samsung TS-151.  It arrived and contained a cd, and a connector cord.  The cord consisted of a 9 pin D connector (Serial) and a small (3/16"?) stereo plug.

I had to dig out my old P-100 HP laptop because my modern Toshiba doesn't have a serial connector.  Oh well....

I followed the instructions, and apparently updated my TS-151.

After a re-scan everything seems to work as it had.  Does anyone know why I had to do all of this?

Nels....
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

StarvingForHDTV

My kit arrived and I updated my box too.  I'm glad Samsung offered the quick and free customer service.  I will consider buying their brand again in the future.

The reason for the update is explained here:

http://product.samsung.com/stb_upgrade/