News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Antenna choices for fringe reception?

Started by 3DogFarm, Wednesday Sep 23, 2009, 01:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3DogFarm

Hey there,

I'm looking for your opinion on a new antenna to hopefully improve my reception.

I'm in the boonies and unfortunately have not gained spousal approval for an outside mount.  

Here is my setup now:  Channel Master Stealthtenna that has an amplifier board in it.  The amp board physically replaced the board that was inside the antenna.  I don't recall the acutal part number of my antenna or the specs on the amp.
http://www.channelmaster.com/product-overview.php?proID=39&catID=33
Here is an example which is think is newer.  This antenna is easily 5 to 6 years old.  
It's in the attic.  About 50 feet of coax to my wiring cabinet where the power injector for the amp is located.    Then about another 50 feet of coax to a splitter and then into two tuners in a PC.

If pull the power off the amp I get practically ZERO signal.

The reception is spotty at most.  Antennaweb.org says i'm 36 to 37 miles from the Milwaukee tower farm.  Funny thing, i have a printout of antennaweb from 2007 that gave me more options than it does now.  Today's query of antennaweb says I can reach 24.1 and 10.1.  Besides that CBS comes in good most of the time, FOX hardly ever.

I have a cheapo Viewsonic 19" TV that has a better tuner than the PC tuners.  This has long been a gripe with me and the PC tuner market.  Otherwise, I am viewing on a Samsung 8000 series LED.

Do you have any recommendations for improving reception with a different antenna and amp combination?  Yes, I know.  Put the antenna outside!  Easier said than done with the spouse!  If i need to provide more detailed info let me know.

3DogFarm
Fringe podcaster and Media Center fan

Tom Snyder

Whereabouts in the boonies? Elevation and geographic contours between you and the towers may be a factor.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

mhz40

Try this site.  It will tell you what your expected signal levels might be... topography issues included.

http://www.tvfool.com/