News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

HDTV signal woes

Started by 950ash, Saturday Sep 06, 2003, 09:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcq

Could you use this antenna outdoors?? Can it replace or augment a VHF antenna?

950ash

I think you guys will find this interesting....
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB10&Number=467128&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

On the phone this morning.

Still want a bow tie even if its my box that is killing me.

kjnorman

QuoteOriginally posted by mcq
Did I read somewhere that this antenna would be fine for VHF also??

Well I am currently using one to pull in analog and it does a fair job pulling in signal pointing through a wall on the first floor.  Still I am only a mile or so from the transmitters.  My only problem with it is that it is too directional as the transmitters are 90 degress apart from each other for me.

Still it'll go up into the attic when I get back into the HDTV game.

Dan the Man

Even though your UHF antenna might work for both signals, I highly recommend using separate UHF and VHF antennas. My OTA reception (both analog and digital) was crap until I put up 2 antennas and used a splitter/combiner to mix them in the feed. Now, I get better analog TV signals then I did when I had TWC. This is the only way to go.

Talos4

950ash I live in the same neighborhood :wave: Hey neighbor!

Anyway,  I use the next step down of antenna (see attachment).  I too had trouble "locking in" the best (analog)pic.  

I went the rotor route.  Solved all the reception problems.  I will say that there is a "Sweet spot" where most of the stations look crystal clear. Some tweaking of the rotor and everything looks great.

The only thing I could figure is that in our general direction there must some reflections from the buildings in Dntwn(?)  Given the altitude of the area I really didn't think that would be an issue. apparently I was wrong.

graniteland

Just got a HDTV, no decoder yet.

I have a roof mounted antenna that was split between two tube tv's. The reception was great. After disconnecting one and hooking up the new Toshiba 57" dual tuner the reception was awfull!!!!!

I bought a TERK TV55 antenna and mounted on the mast on the roof and the reception is excellent, even channel 6!!!!!

I live just southeast of Watertown in farm country.

Todd Wiedemann

Quotereception is excellent, even channel 6!!!!!
Whoa. Hold on ... do you mean 6-1 (33DT) or just regular old analog 6 ?

I'll be rescanning when I get home if you're getting 6-1 in Watertown ! That'd be cool !

Gregg Lengling

Don't bother Todd just checked on both receivers and the spectrum analyzer....still the same.  I've been in contact with the tower crew and they still don't know anything about the DTV antenna.....DOH!
:bang:
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

graniteland

Did not mean to get anyone hyped up, I am talking about plain old analog 6. I have not yet bought the HD decoder box. I sure hope the reception is a good with the box.