News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

HDTV signal woes

Started by 950ash, Saturday Sep 06, 2003, 09:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

950ash

My latest failure was a VU-120XR from Radio Shack put above the house.  I never thought I would have this much of a problem getting a consistant signal. I live around 68th and Oklahoma with some trees between me and the towers.

So here is what I got,

Mitz WT-46807 projection TV
Mitz SR-HD5 hdtv dtv box
VU-120XR with 30 feet of cable

3years+ and still the dream of watching MNF in HDTV still not realized!

I did order the third LNB and Sunday NFL Ticket last night.

Matt Heebner

I dont know about that antenna, but you are just a little south of me (60th & Wells) and WISN's signal is very strong. I get a 96-98 signal strength from them. I am using a Radio Shack double gold bow-tie hanging in the attic "pointed" sort of towards the main tower locations off Capitol Dr. on the east side. Are you pointing the antenna towards the right direction ? From your area it should be NE.

I do know that a few of the forum members have issues during the summer time getting high signals because of tree leaves, etc. but those guys are farther out in suburban areas.

Matt

950ash

Well I'm pointed north east and have tried anywhere from straight north to straight east.

The signal jumps from 98 to 50 every 2 to 3 secs.

Tom Snyder

I have 2 acres of woods between my house and the towers and I'm 20 miles out. I got that same thing...  with every antenna I tried except the Radio Shack Double Bow tie...  it's in my living room at attic height.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

950ash

I see the double bow tie on the Radio Shack website and was wondering what you used to hook it up to your box?

Matt Heebner

All you need is a 300ohm to 75ohm tranformer:Go Here

with a male to male coaxial connector

click here

then run some good rg-6 to  your STB.

Matt

Tom Snyder

You may have a challenge finding one of these antennas in stock... If you do, let us know,  I happen to know where you might find one.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Dan the Man

I was having lots of problems, mostly with CBS. I bought a Channel Master 4228 and boy, does that bad boy work great! I would recommend this antenna to anyone who is willing to locate it outside.

I got a great price on it from //www.warrenelectronics.com, and their shipping is lightning fast. Ordered it Friday AM, and it was delivered on Saturday (I did not request any special shipping, they just are really good).

Riktar

I would like to know where the elusive RS double bow tie can be had. It seems that Every RS store in the area doesn't keep stock on it.

Dan the Man

Check on ebay. There are a few from time to time. Price is usually not bad either.

950ash

It looks like they brought it back but you can only get it by calling the 1-800 number or taking the item number down to the store. it's hard to find anybody at the RS stores that know anything about HDTV truly.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F003%5F001%5F001%5F000&product%5Fid=930%2D0998

Can somebody who has one verify that this one is the correct antenna?

mcq

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan the Man
I was having lots of problems, mostly with CBS. I bought a Channel Master 4228 and boy, does that bad boy work great! I would recommend this antenna to anyone who is willing to locate it outside.

I got a great price on it from //www.warrenelectronics.com, and their shipping is lightning fast. Ordered it Friday AM, and it was delivered on Saturday (I did not request any special shipping, they just are really good).

Did I read somewhere that this antenna would be fine for VHF also??

Matt Heebner

950ash,
That is indeed the "beast" which seems to defy it's size, and any sense of style. If you can get one, I would highly suggest getting it ! It does work awesome....except to pull in FAUX.

Matt

Kevin Arnold

Just a reminder.  We have 4 of the double bow tie set top antennas by Radio Shack.  They belong to MilwaukeeHDTV.org and will be sold to raise funds for site maintenance. If you can't find them elswhere contact any admin.
Kevin Arnold

950ash

Send me an email on the details on how to get one.