News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Why does Fox 6 promote Facebook so heavily?

Started by beeper, Monday Jul 11, 2011, 03:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beeper

Why does Fox 6 promote Facebook so heavily?

They do seemingly have a lot of time in their lengthy redundant newscasts to fill with frill.

This year they are forcing people that already have registered email addresses on the Fox 6 website (for contests), to join Facebook to be able to enter the State Fair Cream Puff Giveaway. Ridiculous!

That would be like forcing someone to register with this forum website to enter a contest.

WPXE ION

So are they discriminating against those of us who dont have a facebook account? :( I have no need for one and will most likely never sign up. Never had a my space or other "social media" account.

If someone wants to talk they can pick up the phone and call. :rolleyes:

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: beeper;57557Why does Fox 6 promote Facebook so heavily?
The usual suspects:
1.  A marketing intern charged with increasing social networking.
2.  An initiative/contest by Fox or local management ... perhaps with prizes or promotions for those who can increase their station's FB "friends" significantly.

beeper

Quote from: WPXE ION;57558So are they discriminating against those of us who dont have a facebook account? :(

That's right. Official rules state the various discriminators.

Must be a "legal" US resident, Age: 18 or older, Location: Must live in Fox 6 DMA (as defined by The Nielsen Company), and "Entrants may be required to become registered users of the website."

The "may" should read must, since you can't enter the contest unless you sign in to FB.

I always signed up for the cream puff contest on the Fox 6 website and was usually fortunate to be one of the 600 winners.

beeper

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;57563The usual suspects:
1.  A marketing intern charged with increasing social networking.
2.  An initiative/contest by Fox or local management ... perhaps with prizes or promotions for those who can increase their station's FB "friends" significantly.

I guess Fox 6 thinks that having more FB friends somehow makes them better than some other station.
They will probably try to raise their advertisement rates as the phony forced FB number increases.

trev57

WISN is kind of doing the same thing now. They have a new promo about if they have 25,000 followers by July 31, they will save some animals at the humane society.

techguy1975

A station here in Nashville, Ch 5 (WTVF) is doing the same thing now, they are running a Facebook contest with daily prizes.  You must be friends with them, and enter the contest every day by going to their FB page and clicking on a link.  A few months back, Ch. 4 (WSMV) ran a "Facebook Friend of the day" where they randomly drew from their friends list for a iPad2.  

Facebook has over 750 million users, it is becoming a needed marketing tool for any "brand" wanting to get their name out there.  Its natural for ch.6 to embrace it, as so many other stations in the US have

techguy1975

Quote from: WPXE ION;57558So are they discriminating against those of us who dont have a facebook account? :( I have no need for one and will most likely never sign up. Never had a my space or other "social media" account.

If someone wants to talk they can pick up the phone and call. :rolleyes:

So...I guess you wouldn't be interesting in a being facebook friends, or maybe a google+ invite? :P LOL

Bebop

I wouldn't minded a Google+ invite. I thought the invites don't work anymore? Too many people for the beta.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

techguy1975

Quote from: Bebop;57579I wouldn't minded a Google+ invite. I thought the invites don't work anymore? Too many people for the beta.

they have disabled them at times due to high demand.  As of right now, they are open

beeper

Quote from: techboywi;57574A station here in Nashville, Ch 5 (WTVF) is doing the same thing now, they are running a Facebook contest with daily prizes.  You must be friends with them, and enter the contest every day by going to their FB page and clicking on a link.  A few months back, Ch. 4 (WSMV) ran a "Facebook Friend of the day" where they randomly drew from their friends list for a iPad2.  

Facebook has over 750 million users, it is becoming a needed marketing tool for any "brand" wanting to get their name out there.  Its natural for ch.6 to embrace it, as so many other stations in the US have

750 million registered users.

How many are in the Fox 6 DMA, and how many in the DMA are registered on FB just to enter a contest and don't otherwise use the website.

A brilliant marketing tool so that someone in China is made aware of Fox 6 in Milwaukee. When Fox 6 has an internet feed, then it might be advantageous to market to those 750 million pairs of eyes that might watch.

To me, it's just plain wrong to have a contest limited to registered users of a particular website. Especially since the same contest didn't have that requirement in the past.

techguy1975

Quote from: beeper;57582750 million registered users.

How many are in the Fox 6 DMA, and how many in the DMA are registered on FB just to enter a contest and don't otherwise use the website.

A brilliant marketing tool so that someone in China is made aware of Fox 6 in Milwaukee. When Fox 6 has an internet feed, then it might be advantageous to market to those 750 million pairs of eyes that might watch.

To me, it's just plain wrong to have a contest limited to registered users of a particular website. Especially since the same contest didn't have that requirement in the past.

Agreed...  It isn't particularly fair to limit it to users of Facebook, or any other social media site, but it seems that is the way the tide is turning.   Remember when to enter a station contest, you had to send them a postcard?

beeper

Quote from: techboywi;57583Agreed...  It isn't particularly fair to limit it to users of Facebook, or any other social media site, but it seems that is the way the tide is turning.   Remember when to enter a station contest, you had to send them a postcard?

I was close enough to send smoke signals.

In the past, contests usually had alternate ways to enter if the main method wasn't available to someone.
Believe it or not, some people that would want to enter a contest, don't even have an email address. :huh?:

Social networking can also become a detriment to a business. Those 750 million pairs of eyes could turn on you.
I could chose to express my opinion that I no longer "like" Fox 6 for a particular reason.

A good example is the recent Netflix subscription price increase (up to 60%) that resulted in their website blog to reach it's 5000 post limit with mostly negative comments. Netflix subscribers also used Facebook and Twitter to express their dissatisfaction.

Tom Snyder

There were luddites back in the late 90's when we started this forum who said they would never have a need for the web. Still a small handful of folks who feel the same way about Social Media (which technically is just next step in the evolution: BBS > Web > Forums > Social media).

With Facebook usage in the US well over 50%, and with a significant portion of those users coming to Facebook at least once a day, it's too large a market segment for marketers to ignore. The number of people on Facebook in 6's DMA is about 5x times larger than the number of people who watch Fox6 news. It makes sense to take advantage of the viral nature of Facebook. As a company that helps businesses use Social Media to market, my observation is that Fox6 is doing just what they should be.

But also, for the record: I do take an issue with WISN holding the puppies and kitties hostage for a $2500 ransom  ("Like us" or the little ones die).

Then again, WISN and I have had our differences on the topic of Social Media:
http://www.trivera.com/wordpress/trivera-featured-in-jsonline-article-on-social-media

P.S. If you need a Google+ invite, let me know. I sent one yesterday that got someone in.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Tom Snyder

QuoteTo me, it's just plain wrong to have a contest limited to registered users of a particular website. Especially since the same contest didn't have that requirement in the past.

This really is no different than signing up for a Radio/TV station sponsored prize at their booth at State Fair, Summerfest, or at a remote broadcast at a local car dealership. The prize is the incentive for actively participating in a promotional event or vehicle.

But you do have a point.. it's foolish for them to exclude non-facebook people from the contest.

BTW, according to Facebook's rules, you can't make "liking" the brand a condition for winning, and signups must be facilitated on a third party site, so technically you shouldn't even have to be on Facebook to enter. We work with Mitchell Airport on their social media stuff, and the contests we've done with them in the past allowed people to sign up on the Mitchell site.

I'll do some research and find out if Fox 6 is in fact doing this the same way, I'll post the link to entry here.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org