News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Does Time Warner Milwaukee have M-cards

Started by cboyung, Tuesday Jul 20, 2010, 10:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cboyung

I'm looking at buying this - http://www.cannonpc.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=271 for my media center PC, but I wanted to make sure that I can get an m-card from Time Warner before I do so. I can't find anything to confirm it anywhere online and dealing with them on the phone has always been a nightmare. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LoadStar

Yes, although it requires a truck roll. Also, keep in mind that Milwaukee heavily uses switched digital, so you will almost certainly require the use of a tuning adapter, which also generally requires a truck roll for initial installation.

cboyung

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I actually have a tuning adapter (and they actually just mailed it to me, no visit needed surprisingly). Once I get this, I'll be swapping two s-cards and a DVR for one m-card, so I'm fine with a visit from their techs to make this happen.

tommyinajar

Will the cable card even work with the TWC service, even with a tuning adapter? I've been waiting to dump the DVR service and have been waiting on the quad tuner card too.

From the outdated TWC site:

Question:
I have a CableCARD TV. How can I get a Tuning Adapter for my TV?
Answer:
At this time the Tuning Adapter is only compatible with TiVo HD, HD XL, and Series 3 HD DVRs, and does not operate directly with CableCARD TVs. TiVo is currently the only manufacturer of one-way CableCARD retail devices that has done the work needed to successfully interact with the Tuning Adapter.tuning adapter

LoadStar

Quote from: tommyinajar;55915Will the cable card even work with the TWC service, even with a tuning adapter? I've been waiting to dump the DVR service and have been waiting on the quad tuner card too.

Question:
Answer:
At this time the Tuning Adapter is only compatible with TiVo HD, HD XL, and Series 3 HD DVRs, and does not operate directly with CableCARD TVs. TiVo is currently the only manufacturer of one-way CableCARD retail devices that has done the work needed to successfully interact with the Tuning Adapter.tuning adapter

Yeah, that's an outdated (and in parts completely inaccurate) statement. (I know that HD Home Run and Moxi both should work with the Tuning Adapter as well.)

It should work, but I wouldn't expect any help from TWC though.

cboyung

Quote from: tommyinajar;55915Will the cable card even work with the TWC service, even with a tuning adapter? I've been waiting to dump the DVR service and have been waiting on the quad tuner card too.

Question:
Answer:

Note that that is specifically talking about CableCARD TV's, not just any device. It does not work with CableCARD TV's because you need to be able to plug the tuning adapter into the CableCARD device via USB. Media Center PC's and Tivo devices work fine.