News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

CableCARD Questions

Started by Mark Strube, Wednesday Apr 21, 2010, 02:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Strube

I'm considering trying cable again with the Tivo Premiere. I'd be using TWC, Milwaukee Metro area.

Question about the Milwaukee area cable cards: do the M-cards provide access to ALL the HD channels, or no? (Not including onDemand.) What's the general monthly charge for it?

I'm hearing I'll need a tuning adapter to access all the SDV channels with the Tivo. Is there another monthly charge for this?

Finally, am I able to pick up both the CableCARD and the tuning adapter from the Mayfair store, or do I need to wait 9 years for a service call?

Thanks!

LoadStar

Quote from: Mark Strube;55408I'm considering trying cable again with the Tivo Premiere. I'd be using TWC, Milwaukee Metro area.

Question about the Milwaukee area cable cards: do the M-cards provide access to ALL the HD channels, or no? (Not including onDemand.) What's the general monthly charge for it?

I'm hearing I'll need a tuning adapter to access all the SDV channels with the Tivo. Is there another monthly charge for this?

Finally, am I able to pick up both the CableCARD and the tuning adapter from the Mayfair store, or do I need to wait 9 years for a service call?

Thanks!

Yes, all non-onDemand channels are available with the use of a CableCard and a Tuning Adapter. Without the Tuning Adapter, you will only receive a rather small number of channels.

There is no charge for the first Tuning Adapter. (I don't know if they charge for multiples, but I do know the first is definitely free.)

You definitely cannot pick up the CableCard from a store, and I'm pretty sure you can't pick up the Tuning Adapter either. They need to do a truck roll. In my experience, however, TWC in this area is rather prompt with their truck rolls.

WPXE ION

So what cable service tier are you  required to have to make the Tivo work with tuning adaptors and cable cards? Basic, Standard, Digital? I was checking out some new flat screens that built in internet and the new Tivo looks promising.

LoadStar

Quote from: WPXE ION;55410So what cable service tier are you  required to have to make the Tivo work with tuning adaptors and cable cards? Basic, Standard, Digital? I was checking out some new flat screens that built in internet and the new Tivo looks promising.

Well, if you just have Basic (analog), then you wouldn't need a cablecard at all.

You need at least Digital Access (the lowest level of digital available) to make use of a CableCard.

Mark Strube

Mark Strube

So I went to the TWC Store at Mayfair today... picked up 3 boxes for the family, and they told me they'd need to send a tech out with a CableCARD to install the TiVo.

They told me that I needed to order the tuning adapter online ( http://www.timewarnercable.com/wisconsin/learn/cable/dvrhddvr/dtaform.html )

Is there a better way to go about this? Is there any way to get them to send the tech out with the adapter?

Thanks again!

Mark Strube

Update!

The tech that came out today actually had the tuning adapter with him, along with the CableCARD. Shows how uninformed the customer service people still are regarding these things.

Everything works like a charm! I am loving it.