News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Set top HD DVR alternatives?

Started by cdnelson, Wednesday Feb 24, 2010, 12:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdnelson

I tried searching so I apologize if this is a retread of an old topic.  Everything I saw was several years old.

We currently have two DVR's from TW. (They offered me a deal for one year.) We're returing the second box soon as the deal expires.  Over the course of the year we discovered.

• Most of what we record is network programming.
  • Of what is on cable, 9/10 of it is not HD so we can take care of that with our DVD recorder.
  • However...we occasionally run into having to record 3 HD shows at once.

I would like to have a second DVR that isn't being rented from TW, and doesn't have fees like Tivo.  I've looked around and the only things I've seen are the DTVPal DVR (which looks to be discontinued or ridiculously priced by Sears), and that's only ATSC, which would work but I'd like QAM if possible.

I also saw older single tuner DVR's like the Sony DHG-HDD250/500.  Again, the only ones I found were on eBay for over $300.  For that kind of money, I'd like some kind of warranty.

So...keeping in mind that I'm looking for something that my wife/kids can use easily, what other options are there...if any.  (HTPC is out as most I've seen would be too complicated/buggy for the family to deal with.)

Thanks in advance.

kevbeck122

Moxi is about the only alternative that doesn't require a monthly fee, but it is fairly expensive up front:
http://www.moxi.com/us/home.html

LoadStar

Quote from: kevbeck122;54978Moxi is about the only alternative that doesn't require a monthly fee, but it is fairly expensive up front:
http://www.moxi.com/us/home.html

You can buy a lifetime subscription for TiVo as well, and then you don't have monthly fees there either.

cdnelson

OK...that's pretty much what I found as well.  Simple/easy = expensive. ;)

I might be looking at the DTVPal DVR and just recording our network shows OTA then.  $300 < $500+  Has anyone had any experience with the DTVPal (or can direct me to a thread here about it)?

Plus...it might be nice to have an OTA alternative when TW has it's occaisional outages.

Thanks for the advice!

Buy_The_Tie

I ran into the same kind of problem.

I didn't want to pay for TIVO.
I didn't think that the DTVPalDVR was such a good idea.

Instead, I built myself a Windows 7 based computer to fill the need, and it works pretty well.

Dual Tuners / IR Remote Control / Beautiful Picture / Useful for other things too.

There are plenty of cases available to build a computer that looks like A/V equipment.  However, with our entertainment center, they were all too deep to fit behind the glass door.  That's why I had to choose a "cube" style case.

Read about it here.

cdnelson

OK...as a potential stopgap, I do have a HD tuner that I can use with my PC, and a nice big widescreen monitor.

However, I don't have Media Center on this PC.  I looked at Myth TV and liked it but didn't see any easy setups for Windows.

Any other alternatives on that front that someone could point me at?

Thanks (again) in advance. :wave:

budda

hxxp://www.hauppauge.com/   Replace xx with tt. ATI also makes some but have found ATI can be buggy. Can use a remote witch it comes with RF. Use any size HD you can buy. The best quality picture possible based on what you spend. Have fun.{fart}

Buy_The_Tie

Quote from: cdnelson;54992OK...as a potential stopgap, I do have a HD tuner that I can use with my PC, and a nice big widescreen monitor.

However, I don't have Media Center on this PC.  I looked at Myth TV and liked it but didn't see any easy setups for Windows.

Any other alternatives on that front that someone could point me at?

Thanks (again) in advance. :wave:

I have Beyond TV set up on another PC at home, and it works pretty well.  You can download the trail version (fully functional, but only for 2 weeks) to see if it is going to work for you.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: Buy_The_Tie;55009I have Beyond TV set up on another PC at home, and it works pretty well.  You can download the trail version (fully functional, but only for 2 weeks) to see if it is going to work for you.

I really liked Beyond TV until I got to the line where it says they do not "support" 64-bit Windows OSs.  I assume that means "won't work" rather than "if you have trouble we can't help you."  Is that correct?

Will

Quote from: cdnelson;54982OK...that's pretty much what I found as well.  Simple/easy = expensive. ;)

I might be looking at the DTVPal DVR and just recording our network shows OTA then.  $300 < $500+  Has anyone had any experience with the DTVPal (or can direct me to a thread here about it)?

Plus...it might be nice to have an OTA alternative when TW has it's occaisional outages.

Thanks for the advice!

You might wait for Tivo's announcement on March 2.  There are lots of rumors about what's to come, but it's only a couple days away.  You might be able to pick up an HD on the cheap after the new one is out?
http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/11/tivo-has-something-to-announce-march-2-in-nyc/

I have the DTVPal DVR.  Still love it, and have had it since Dec. 08.  I put in a 1TB drive so it can now record 145 hours HD.

There were teething pains with this when it came out, but the latest firmware has solved the issues it had.  TVGOS has been remarkably stable as well (knock on wood.)

Old thread here:
http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8255

Buy_The_Tie

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;55010I really liked Beyond TV until I got to the line where it says they do not "support" 64-bit Windows OSs.  I assume that means "won't work" rather than "if you have trouble we can't help you."  Is that correct?

Dunno... I have it running on an XP machine (32-bit).  

It's been my experience that Windows 7 (64-bit) runs 32 bit programs just fine.  Where  others have had problems (not me,yet) is support for older hardware.  Printers, tuner cards, video cards, etc...