News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Indoor Antenna

Started by mindmess, Friday Feb 05, 2010, 01:38:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mindmess

So I am tired of all the $$$$$ I hand away to the big name companies for OTA programming. So I am looking to cut the cord and get it free and dl the cable shows I watch.
My problem is that where I live they do not have a tower antenna nor do they allow you to put up an external antenna. Nor am I allowed to Put anything up on the outside of my building. So I am looking for am indoor antenna that will allow me good reception.
The only major problem that I foresee is that I live near the airport and it does cause some "minor" problems with reception.
There seems to be so much good info and help here that I figured I would start my search process here.

Thanks in advance for any and all info.

budda

Because of where you live. Start with just a pair of rabbit ears. Maybe something you can get for free. Do a channel scan. You may be done right there. If you are missing some of your favorite channels any good top set Ant., should work where you are at. 12, 6, 24 ,18,58,4 ...ADD  -1  after those..{fart}

WPXE ION

Sounds like your in Oak Creek area? The signals should be strong enough for an indoor VHF/UHF antenna. The Shack has a few options for $20 or less. Keep the receipt in case you should have to return the antenna in case it does not work.

Digitenna has an indoor model now available that works really well.

Remember to try the antenna in different locations and re-scan each time. Try near a window if there is one close to the TV.

If all else fails tell your landlord you dont like looking at all the satellite dishes mounted all over the building (assuming there are satellite dish subscribers where you live), so an antenna should not be any different. :)

PatM

Quote from: mindmess;54776So I am tired of all the $$$$$ I hand away to the big name companies for OTA programming. So I am looking to cut the cord and get it free and dl the cable shows I watch.
My problem is that where I live they do not have a tower antenna nor do they allow you to put up an external antenna. Nor am I allowed to Put anything up on the outside of my building.

Thanks in advance for any and all info.

I was under the impression that FCC rules allow external antennas that covenants try to block.
The Federal Communications  Commission prohibits homeowners and similar associations from restricting the installation, maintenance, and use of antennas used to receive local broadcast TV by owners and renters who have "exclusive use" areas where they could install such antennas.  This is part of the same ruling that forbids homeowners associations from preventing residents from installing satellite TV dishes.  Thus, many viewers living in areas with antenna restrictions may have the right to install outdoor TV antennas.
The antenna cannot be installed in a common area, but if you have a balcony or patio that is for your personal use, antenna installation is allowed.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
http://www.kyes.com/antenna/regulation.html

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: PatM;54789I was under the impression that FCC rules allow external antennas that covenants try to block.
The antenna cannot be installed in a common area, but if you have a balcony or patio that is for your personal use, antenna installation is allowed.

If the antenna can be safely placed without damaging the landlord's property, the landlord cannot prohibit it.  So, for example, if you could clamp it securely to a balcony railing in a way that would protect the finish, that would be OK.  

However if the tenant wanted to screw the mounting bracket into a wall or window sash, the landlord can say no.

I am guessing in a condo where the outside walls and roof are owned by the association, the same exception could be invoked.

I am aware of one instance where a tenant put his satellite dish on a little red wagon on the balcony.  Nothing would prohibit that.

mindmess

Unfortunately it is an apartment and the only common areas are hallways.
South and east if the airport in "Don't drink the water" South Milwaukee.
Wasn't sure if amplified was needed in the area. Know that the airport causes enuff interference.
Will try the rabbit ears to start though.
Hopefully the windows aren't needed for great reception as mine are west and south. Else I may need to do a few trip to the "attic" where they like to feed lines in and modify.

Thanx

bschlafer

Take a look at this website: http://www.antennasdirect.com/index.html
It shows a number of different options for antennas, some as inconspicuous as a picture frame.

The Phillips Silver Sensor has gotten good reviews:
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/silver.html
It's small and highly directional, which may help your multipath and interference issues.

I use a attic mounted antenna here in Sussex and am able to pull in all the Milwaukee stations with around 80% or more signal strength.

Height is your friend.  The higher you place any antenna, the better it will perform.

Good luck!
*Bill

Stanley Kritzik

Get an inconspicuous indoor antenna, and if it has no amplifier, also get a small amplifier, such as a Winegard.  //www.solidsignal.com is a good source, too.

Stan

ScottyB

http://www.tvfool.com/ will help.  South Milwaukee is close enough you shouldn't need an amplifier.  In Racine, I use an indoor Terk HDTVA (amplified) and have no issues at all.  All signals come in at or higher than 95%.

There are some guys south of me that use the cheap Radio Shack antennas.  Like a previous responder said, keep the receipt just in case your antenna doesn't work.  Place it as high as you can get it in your apartment.  Even if you are that close, if you have issues such as buildings, trees, walls, etc, you may find you need a stronger antenna.

A UHF only antenna will get every channel other than 10.  A UHF/VHF antenna is needed to get 10.

Let us know how it goes!

Scott