News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Just when you thought you were watching HD

Started by Jimboy, Tuesday Jun 05, 2007, 09:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimboy

NHK begins public testing of Ultra HD

Japanese broadcaster NHK, which first began research into HDTV more than four decades ago, has begun conducting public testing of its Ultra HD standard.

NHK's Ultra HD technology delivers 7680 x 4320 resolution, which is up to 16 times greater than HDTV. The super-fast prototype cameras can capture data at a rate of 4000fps, with an audio component that is 22.2 channels (as compared to today’s 5.1 surround sound).

As part of the first public test in Tokyo, the broadcaster is using ATEME’s MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) encoding technology. It is cooperating closely with NHK Labs in the design and development of the standard.

Ultra HD cameras, recorders, encoders and projectors are currently under development with a 2009 date for the introduction of the full specification for Ultra HD. NHK estimates that satellite transmission tests will begin in 2011, and by 2020, Ultra HD will be ready for broadcast to households.

For more information, visit //www.ateme.com.

Original article http://broadcastengineering.com/hdtv/nhk-public-testing-ultra-hd/?r=4

LowSignal

What so Time warner or Dish has enough bandwith for 2 channels? Good luck with that.

gparris

We all read about the minimum distance to sit from an HDTV set to get all the details you are paying for, right?
Most folks get an HDTV and do not sit the correct distance from the set all the time...so few would even care about ULTRA HD as the quality when we (at least some of us) are trying to get the current HD into their HDTVs as installers, consultants and salespersons.
Honestly, most Japanese folks have small residences and a 50" diagonal flatpanel is going to be/is enormous already, even with 1080p.
Unless you have the space for a 80" or more screen, few will notice or care if it is using this system.
What is next? 20x the picture we have now? For what size?

Thanks for the information, I am only inquiring as to the reason for having more than 1080p as we struggle to get our providers to offer more HD channels and more HD programming already.
This "new HD" belongs in digital movie theaters commercially, not in most peoples residences, IMO.:rolleyes:

kjnorman

Where ultraHD comes in would be interactive wall displays.

Imagine, in 2030 your living room wall could represent the outside world.  Of course by then I'll be 60 and my eyesight will probably be failing so I say the bigger the better :D

gparris

Quote from: kjnorman;39615Where ultraHD comes in would be interactive wall displays.

Imagine, in 2030 your living room wall could represent the outside world.  Of course by then I'll be 60 and my eyesight will probably be failing so I say the bigger the better :D

Got it...thanks.:D
I have seen prototypes of full-wall displays whereby the person you are talking to is like, next to you in another "room" that sort of "opens up" as the wall display becomes the caller's display...this is a good example of this use, too.

But when 2030 comes, I will be glad it exists, hypothetically, as my "walker" will not take me places as much as this display could.;)