News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Time Warner Cable - All about Digital Transport Adapters

Started by LoadStar, Saturday Aug 03, 2013, 02:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoadStar

Since the topic came up in another thread, I thought I'd provide my experiences with DTAs, or Digital Transport Adapters. This doesn't directly relate to HDTV, but may be of interest.

I have a couple of TVs in my house that do not have digital cable boxes. As a result, just plugging the TV into the wall results in reception of channels up to 66. That leaves out a ton of channels normally included in the "Standard TV" package.  The solution is a DTA or Digital Transport Adapter. I picked up a pair of these today and though I'd share my experience.

A digital transport adapter is a limited purpose box; they tune channels, and that's all. They have no on-screen channel guide, and no ability to receive switched digital channels or on-demand programming. They measure about 4.5" by 3.5", so they are rather unobtrusive already. If even a box that small won't fit in well into your setup, the package includes an infrared extender cable, allowing you to hide the box completely out of sight.

The ports on the back of the box are power, infrared (via 1/8" phone connector), cable in, and coax out. There is also an HDMI port, and the boxes are technically capable of receiving and displaying HD channels, although at this time the only HD channels they receive are the over-the-air broadcast channels. As a bit of a surprise, the package even includes a free HDMI cable.

Hooking the boxes up should be very easy. Connect the power, cable in, and either coax or HDMI out, turn on your TV, then call in and activate the box. For me, it wasn't as straightforward; on one of the boxes, it wasn't coded right, and therefore was missing a bunch of the channels. They also didn't receive the activation signal on first try, and I had to call in a second time to get that done.

If you have Time Warner and any televisions hooked directly up to the wall, you definitely want to get one of these boxes. You'll get the full set of channels you're already paying for, and also get them in clearer digital quality.

Edit: for those just joining this thread, even though the website lists a monthly cost of $0.00, they seem to be charging $0.99/mo for the DTAs.

ddeerrff

Are they still offering these rent free until the end of the year?  Did you just drop in to the TW store and ask for them?

There used to be an online link (which I can't fond now) that allow you to request one online.  But the 'procedure' didn't work.

LoadStar

Yes, they are free. I wasn't aware that there was any sunset on that pricing. And yes, I just stopped in to the TWC store at Mayfair and requested them. You can also request them online at the following link:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential-home/support/topics/tv/digital-adapters.html (scroll down and click the link for "Order your Digital Adapter.")

As an aside, while I was there, I asked them to check if I was getting the best package for my money. I was hoping to get something better for the price I was paying, but the best they could do was cut my price down by about $37/mo. I'll take a cheaper monthly cable bill, thanks. :)

LoadStar

An interesting note I just noticed on that page for the tuning adapters:

"Starting on or about September 4th, 2013, some designated channels will be delivered in digital format only." The page then proceeds to give a specific date of 9/11/13 for the Wisconsin market.

Could this be the date for the full channel lineup change? Hmm....

gparris

Quote from: LoadStar;59550An interesting note I just noticed on that page for the tuning adapters:

"Starting on or about September 4th, 2013, some designated channels will be delivered in digital format only." The page then proceeds to give a specific date of 9/11/13 for the Wisconsin market.

Could this be the date for the full channel lineup change? Hmm....

Good point, many HDTV owners are probably using channel 6 instead of 1006 all the time and once they can't, they will find it to be a clearer and more detailed picture.
Even with the current contracts mess, I think if TWC goes through with the lineup change the OFF AIR channels will keep markers for channel reinstatement in the future.

beerbrat

I guess I'll have to get my parents a couple of these - which model did you get? The Cisco version?  Are these capable of tuning the local HDs above 1000 (e.g. WTMJ is 1004 instead of 4.1)?

LoadStar

Quote from: beerbrat;59559I guess I'll have to get my parents a couple of these - which model did you get? The Cisco version?  Are these capable of tuning the local HDs above 1000 (e.g. WTMJ is 1004 instead of 4.1)?

Yes, the Cisco DTA170HD.

Yes, they pull the same channel map as any other cable box (they take a good 4-5 minutes doing so at startup), so yeah, for right now the HD channels are above 1000.

Kenoman

I went to the TWC office here in Kenosha and they knew nothing about a DTA box. The only box they have has a .99 a month charge.
Asked about the changeover Sept. 11 and sthey know nothing about any changes. Hmmmm.

PONIES

The employees working at the Kenosha offices aren't the brightest people around.

Just use the online form to order one and they'll ship you a digital adapter from Milwaukee. You should have it in a day.

LoadStar

To be fair, even the people at the dedicated phone line for the "digital adapters" (the name that Time Warner uses for the DTAs) seemed as confused about the concept of the DTAs as the people in the Kenosha office. To me, it sort of felt like the same sort of thing that happens when I used to call into the main support number with a CableCard support issue. The guy I worked with at the Mayfair office didn't even blink when I went in there to pick them up though.

If there does end up being a charge, I apologize; I did ask like 3 times, and they said the DTAs are free. Believe me, if there's a charge, I'll be back at the store complaining loudly as well.

ArgMeMatey

Am I missing something?  Sounds like it's just an external clear QAM tuner.  

The cut sheet says it can tune encryption using DNCS and uDTA but I have no idea if Time Warner is using anything compatible.  

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps8611/ps8612/ps10771/7023333_a.pdf

LoadStar

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;59569Am I missing something?  Sounds like it's just an external clear QAM tuner.

Nope. It is more like a very very stripped down cable box.

This box uses the normal cable box channel map, meaning that all the channels are in their appropriate channel slots. In addition, it gives you access to all the non-SDV digital channels in the standard TV package, most of which aren't transmitted in clear QAM. (Far as I know, the only channels Time Warner transmits in clear QAM are the broadcast stations.)

LoadStar

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;59569Am I missing something?  Sounds like it's just an external clear QAM tuner.  

The cut sheet says it can tune encryption using DNCS and uDTA but I have no idea if Time Warner is using anything compatible.  

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps8611/ps8612/ps10771/7023333_a.pdf

I believe this area uses PowerKEY conditional access, which this box is compatible with.

Think of this as a *very* stripped down cable box. This box uses the normal cable box channel map, meaning that all the channels are in their appropriate channel slots.

In addition, because this box is compatible with PowerKEY, it gives you access to all the non-SDV digital channels in the standard TV package, most of which aren't transmitted in clear QAM. (Far as I know, the only channels Time Warner transmits in clear QAM are the broadcast stations.)

This box theoretically could tune in *any* digital channel that isn't SDV if Time Warner allowed it, but they aren't activating anything on these boxes except the standard package.

jfelbab

They are also shown as free via the website ordering.

$0.00 Total Charges, $0.00 Monthly charges and Free Shipping

LoadStar

Grrrrr...... I just got my bill, and yeah, they're charging $0.99 for the DTA.

@%#&!