News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Time Warner/TM4 carriage dispute

Started by mrschimpf, Monday Jun 24, 2013, 10:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gparris

Quote from: Jack 1000;59519Sup GP?

I just Google Searched and saw nothing new.  I read yesterday that CBS and TWC extended their "Market Share" Holdings, but it did not say whether or not this was related to a deal.  I think "No news is good news" and a new CBS/TWC contract will be struck.  As for TWC/Journal Broadcasting, I think they are going to drag that out, reaching a compromise before the Packers Pre-Game, but not until than.

Jack

EDIT:
 An extension to 4pm CDT on Friday, 8/2 is now in the news today, 7/30, about CBS and TWC, it includes information about the negotiations that also includes the cable-only channels that all TWC subs wouldn't get, IF they subscribed to them, Showtime, The Movie Channel, Flix and Smithsonian channels, not just the CBS locals in the specific locales.

ddeerrff

Quote from: Jack 1000;59519maybe the laws governing the Cable Retransmission Act of 1992 had to change
Need to go back to basic "Must Carry" with no fees.  Advertising is supposed to pay for content.  If the viewer needs to pay for content, then dump the commercials.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: ddeerrff;59523Need to go back to basic "Must Carry" with no fees.  Advertising is supposed to pay for content.  If the viewer needs to pay for content, then dump the commercials.
No cable customer or cable company is going to disagree with that.  But no OTA station owner would agree.

A better argument would be one that no rational person could disagree with.  I haven't heard that one yet.

jjallou

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;59526No cable customer or cable company is going to disagree with that.  But no OTA station owner would agree.

A better argument would be one that no rational person could disagree with.  I haven't heard that one yet.

Same holds true for most cable channels, way too many commercials, and they get paid per subscriber. Really not worth it...

budda

If a broadcaster elects retransmission consent, there is no obligation for the cable system to carry the signal.[2] This option allows broadcasters who own popular stations, such as CBS, NBC and ABC or Fox to request cash or other compensation from cable or satellite providers for signals. These networks have usually attempted to gain further distribution of cable services and/or co-owned low power television stations in which they also hold an equity position rather than direct cash compensation, which cable systems have almost universally balked at paying. In some cases, these channels have been temporarily removed from distribution by systems who felt broadcasters were asking too steep a price for their signal. Examples include the removal of all CBS-owned local stations plus MTV, VH1 and Nickelodeon from DISH Network for two days in 2004, the removal of ABC-owned stations from Time Warner Cable for a little under a day in 2000, and the removal of all Hearst Television local stations from Time Warner for more than a week in 2012.

In the U.S. retransmission consent has often been chosen over must-carry by the major commercial television networks. Under the present rules, a new agreement is negotiated every three years, and stations must choose must-carry or retransmission consent for each cable system they wish their signal to be carried on. Non-commercial stations (such as local PBS stations) may not seek retransmission consent and may only invoke must-carry status.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Must-carry

RLJSlick

"The game telecast had a rating of 16.5 on Channel 4 between 7 and 10 p.m., which means almost 149,000 households on average in this market tuned to some portion of the game. A total of 31% of the sets on at the time were tuned to the game on Channel 4.

By comparison, the Packers' first preseason game last year, at San Diego, had a combined rating of 25.6 on Channel 12 and ESPN, which means more than 232,000 households on average watched some part of the game."
-Bob Wolfley

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/219292151.html
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

gparris

This whole Journal Broadcast Group battle with Time Warner Cable reached a new low last night when I tried watching The Tonight Show and now channel 5 from Chicago's programming feed from NBC on TWC is now banned, too.

Look, TWC, get it together with JBG and be done with it, it was only a rerun, yes, but I am sure the few other shows other subs watch are seeing that notice, too and we're tired of it. TWC, if we wanted to use antennas, why do we need you for a provider, anymore?:huh?:

JBG: Do you really think you're going to win on this completely your way? Really?
I don't think so, you and TWC both stink.:Smash:

PONIES

Why would WMAQ be removed? It is NBC O&O.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: gparris;59596last night when I tried watching The Tonight Show ... channel 5 from Chicago's programming feed from NBC on TWC is now banned, too.

Are you saying that WMAQ "blocks" their feed to Milwaukee-area IPs, or that TWC is blocking the WMAQ feed?  What indication did you get of either action, or the responsible party?

mrschimpf

According to the Racine Journal Times, blame TMJ on this one; they're "exercising its rights" to NBC programming in the area, so WMAQ gets blacked out in Racine and Kenosha.

I think they're fast exercising their rights to us getting "NBC 24" one of these days; how can NBC continue to tolerate them having their affiliation these days (besides no station taking NBC without some cajoiling otherwise)? They pre-empt programming at will without any reairs (The Do No Harm block in February due to the snowstorm), don't even acknowledge they're an NBC station unless they have to, and they treat NBC's Access Hollywood like a hassle, bumping it back to 1:35am so we can have a newscast with a "Mugshot of the Day" segment. Raycom/Dish's dispute got resolved within days and that was a whole lot more complicated than this, and TWC out-foxed them thanks to the Telemundo Packers simulcast.

This is doing much more damage to WTMJ than TWC at this point, though with CBS and Fox Sports 1 (which TWC isn't carrying yet), they're not completely innocent either.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: mrschimpf;59602According to the Racine Journal Times, blame TMJ on this one; they're "exercising its rights" to NBC programming in the area, so WMAQ gets blacked out in Racine and Kenosha.

Sorry, thanks, I was erroneously thinking he was referring to WMAQ's internet feed, not the OTA feed picked up for the Racine/Kenosha area.

Kenoman

Even after this fiasco is over, I will never watch TMJ programming. They have no feelings for its viewers. Having WMAQ out of Chicago banned is the last straw. WTMJ you should be ashamed of your self. :bang:

gparris

My family decided to rid itself of everything Journal Broadcast Group, so we cancelled our paper, deleted their radio settings on the vehicles and left programming reminders to record only the Chicago station (not WTMJ) when it's available again for the very few NBC shows we actually watch.
No more Journal Broadcast Group forever!

PONIES

Hah, WTMJ is ****.

Glad I've got satellite antennas, over-the-air antennas, and Internet access.

Good luck blocking all those other sources of NBC programming, WTMJ! I never watched your **** channel before and I will never watch it after this is all over. :wave:

techguy1975

I dunno if WTMJ is the only one deserving of the blame.  I'd say TWC is equally, or nearly equally to blame.  These two companies make millions of dollars of profits, wanting to protect their profit margins....Thats all they really care about.    They are doing the same thing with CBS now, we went through this last year with WISN, [and we'll probably go through this again when their contract with {Insert Channel Name Here} ends.  It's really all about the $$$$