News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Time Warner/TM4 carriage dispute

Started by mrschimpf, Monday Jun 24, 2013, 10:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoadStar

As you've probably already heard, JBG and TWC have come to an agreement. And by the looks of things, JBG got their rear handed to them.

On TWC, the analog feed of TMJ4 moves to channel 2 -- apparently, TWC went and sold the channel 4 position to Game Show Network. The HD feed remains on 1004. This is just all sorts of messed up, especially once they go to the new lineup (eventually) that combines the SD and HD lineups.

InsulinJunkie

Quote from: LoadStar;59706On TWC, the analog feed of TMJ4 moves to channel 2.

Except for those of us who have WBBM Chicago, resulting in SD WTMJ getting exiled  to the netherlands of channel 83, where CSPAN and shopping channels lurk.

For the not-small contingent of HDTV owners who still use the SD channel numbers out of habit, that does have to smart for WTMJ, since as you mention, the forthcoming AutoHD-type setup won't help there.

mrschimpf

Quote from: LoadStar;59706As you've probably already heard, JBG and TWC have come to an agreement. And by the looks of things, JBG got their rear handed to them.

I don't think we're going to be seeing the tipline being sponsored by TWC in the near future :rof:. I don't think I ever saw a carriage deal go so badly for the station side, and although nobody's going to care about TMJ being on analog 2 by 2016, TWC sure did stick it to them. In Green Bay, WACY/MyNetwork gets the 83 slot everywhere (1013 in HD when 2014 starts), while in Palm Springs Journal has a whole bunch of fun rebranding since their NBC station advertised on cable 6 is now on cable 13, and MyNet on 13 is down to 2. And in Omaha...stick a fork in them, they're 99 on the few homes they have on TWC in that market.

Also according to the TWC site the subchannels were cut out completely as they don't deliver "the most value to our customers". TMJ has effectively killed itself out of the subchannel market with that move as no cable provider carries them; WISN's parent (and the other stations) doesn't do Live Well and Local Accuweather is losing coverage as more stations grab Antenna, Cozi or Me-TV.

Jack 1000

If the channel re-alignment gets to Central and Southern Wisconsin,

Some redesign might be needed because TWC actually expanded Game Show Network's station to standard cable. (SD channel 4.) The plan for the new line up will be that all stations would tune to the HD equivalent when selected. (For HD boxes. SD boxes still in the field would tune to the SD channel.)

A lot of customers are not happy with the Auto HD and want TWC to provide an option to turn it off.  This is because some divisions, Wisconsin included will only give out those old SA boxes with a paltry 160GB of storage, unless you upgrade to Signature Home or Whole House DVR  to get the boxes with more storage.  Whole Home customers have 500GB boxes.  External Drives also only seem to work on the non-C legacy DVR's with Western Digital being the brand of choice.

Potentially, if Wisconsin goes to this line-up subs with SD boxes would get the SD channel of what was selected and subs with HD would get the HD channel of what is selected.  Currently channel 4 in SD is now on TWC channel 2.  (Milwaukee and Metro areas.) The HD counterpart for channel 4 goes back to 1004.  GSN-SD remains on channel 4 for Standard Service.  Channel 219 is also GSN for Digital Variety Package subs with it's HD equivalent at 1219.)

Under a new line up all theme based.  I could see Chanel 4 SD coming back and GSN swapping slots with it in Central Wisconsin, moving to channel 2.  TWC I think wants to keep GSN on a lower service tier.  How do you see this playing out?

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

gparris

Honestly, though there isn't much NBC I watch anymore, there are some new shows I find tempting for now, so if TWC goes to some oddball channel instead of 4 for channel 4, it will missed down the listing lineup with the other local channels when the realignment occurs with Auto HD. I can remember 1004, but the new channel number assignment is awful if used without 1004.
EDIT: I just found analogue channel WTMJ:  It's in never-ever land channel 83!:bang:
With the new alignment, that just won't do as it is way past the other local network channels, so if TWC keeps it that way with Auto HD, no one is going to find it, or at least NOT as easily and this will be even more damaging to WTMJ TV for viewers, what a mess.
TWC: you are not doing the subscriber any favors!