News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Question for Time Warner subscribers

Started by ArgMeMatey, Wednesday Jun 08, 2011, 07:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArgMeMatey

I am wondering how many of you Time Warner subscribers still find value in their analog service, even if you have HD from them.  

And does anybody have any idea what percentage of TW subscribers use analog in addition to HD?  

I've figured that Time Warner's niche, which other providers can't touch, is that you can subscribe to their HD on one or two TVs and get by with analog (and HD locals) on the rest of the TVs in the house.  I would have thought that this keeps some unknown number of people from moving to UVerse or satellite.  

As we've discussed before, as the number of analog-only subscribers dwindles, they have been re-allocating bandwidth from analog to other services.  Just wondering if subscribers are saying "uncle".  

I got a cynical chuckle out of TW's PR person quoted in Dudek's column earlier this week.  I commented there.  
http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/tvradio/123205893.html

ddeerrff

Three TVs in the house.  One in the living room has the STB, other two are analog directly fed.  You hit it on the head as to why I have not considered UVerse or Satellite - I don't want to have to use a box with the two analog TVs.

klwillis45

4 TVs. 3 HD, 1 SD
2 with HD-DVRs, 2 with no box at all.

markd

me: 2 TVs, 2 boxes
parents: 4 TVs, 1 box (3 analog feeds)
friend: 1 TV, 0 boxes (analog feed)

Martyus

I find value in analog cable.

I have 3 HDTVs sourced by an HTPC with 4 tuners (2 OTA and 2 NTSC - analog cable), and 2 Media Center Extenders.

Although, I am planning to add a Cablecard tuner, likely the Ceton InfiniTV4, to add 4 digital cable tuners to get HD cable channels.

Even with the Cablecard tuners, I plan to keep using the OTA and analog tuners since the recordings can be watched on other networked PCs in my house or even copied off the HTPC (i.e. to watch on a laptop while traveling, etc.), whereas recordings from the Cablecard tuners will only be able to be watched on the HTPC or extenders.

Rick_EE

I use the analog cable on one basement TV.  I also have a tuner in my computer, however, I find the QAM HD signals used more.

kevbeck122

2 HDTVs.. when I had TWC I had an HD-DVR on one, and the standard analog/clearQAM feed on the other.  I could have gotten a cablecard on the second TV (that was before SDV was in place), but I guess I really didn't need to spend the extra money per month for a bedroom TV.  Now that I have DIRECTV, that second TV has OTA and internet streaming/blu ray.

skram

I may be asking a question in the wrong place or a very basic question, but I need to know.  If I buy a TV with a QAM tuner, can avoid using any type of 'box'?  I have TWC and just want to do cable directly into the TV for the newly converted digital stations.  I need to keep things simple for my 86 year old mom.

THANKS !