News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

How do YOU get your HDTV?

Started by Tom Snyder, Wednesday Oct 03, 2007, 08:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you receive your High Definition TV

Cable
2 (22.2%)
Satellite
2 (22.2%)
Over the Air
5 (55.6%)
U-Verse
0 (0%)
Streaming (Roku, Sling, etc)
4 (44.4%)
Another option, I'll comment below..
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Talos4

Well, I chose D* and OTA because that's how I get everything.

I generally watch the locals OTA so the situation with 10, 18, 24, 36-1 and 58 not on D* is really no concern at least for me.

MrVideo

While I get some HD via OTA, i.e., NBC and FOX, the other networks, ABC, CBS and The CW, I get via satellite, but not D* or Dish (non of the pizza-pan suppliers).  That is why I couldn't tick the satellite box and I'm sure it was meant for pizza-pan subscribers.

I do not get any "cable-channel" type HD services (Discovery, HBO, etc).

There was a comment that OTA has the best picture.  There are many who would argue that, me being one of them.  The bitrate starved ATSC just cannot handle rapid video frame changes.  The MPEG-2 encoders just do not have enough to create a clean signal.  Jut ask anyone who watches sports on their HD displays.  I hear nothing but complaints.

Clean MPEG-2 HD requires a bitrate the is at least twice the maximum that can be put out over ATSC channels.  When you see HD with a bitrate of 35-40 Mbps, you hate going back to ATSC bitrates.  Even better video is 1080p, as provided by the hi-def DVD format war.  Unfortunately I've not seen hi-def DVD video, but everything I read is all positive.  OTA/Cable/Pizza-Pan is not going to be able to provide the video quality of hi-def DVD 1080p.

Leinie Lodge

Would this be a fair summary?  Engineers please chime in!

BEST   50+Mbps
Blu-Ray Highest bit rate available

GREAT   19Mbps
OTA dedicated full bandwidth (no subchannel)

VERY HIGH QUALITY   Peaks 10+Mbps
Cable HD
MPEG-4 DirecTV
OTA HD signal sharing bandwidth with SD subchannel
ATT U-Verse

WORSE
MPEG-2 legacy compression scheme
Overcompressed cable QAM
OTA HD choked w/ too much subchannel draw

John L

I don't have a real HDTV, I just use an old converter box thats about 4 years old Samsung and I receive all the DTV via OTA. I can tell it must be HD when the black side bars are filled in, but because its viewed on a analog TV, course it doesn't matter if it was connected to a DTV receiver you don't get high definition. Just a wide screen.  Otherwise just the side bars are black for SD. I voted in the poll receiving it via OTA.

I got to get a bigger living room and $$$ before I get a HDTV.

-John L.

Bluto

It might be time for a new survey.  It would be interesting to see how the numbers have changed over the past two years...

Tom Snyder

Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

techguy1975

So,

While in the process of migrating to the new forum software, and fixing broken links on the home page, I stumbled upon this old thread.   I'm curious to see how much has changed, so I zeroed out the vote counts, added the first letter back to each vote option (which was missing for some odd reason  ???) and I'm re-opening this thread.

duncantuna

One thing that's changed .. need a Streaming option.

I use Playstation-Vue, myself.

techguy1975

Quote from: duncantuna on Friday Jan 20, 2017, 09:55:30 AM
One thing that's changed .. need a Streaming option.

I use Playstation-Vue, myself.

I didn't even think of that!   I'll add it as an option

MDR

can't select all that apply. just toggles for single choice.
Cord Cutter

ChannelMaster DVR+
Samsung Ln40b550 HDTV
Samsung Ln32a550 HDTV
ONKYO TX-NR737 Rcvr
Sony SA WCT100 Soundbar
Oppo BDP83 Bluray
Oppo BDP93 Bluray
Twc Broadband
T-Mobile Phone

techguy1975

Quote from: MDR on Friday Jan 20, 2017, 03:50:06 PM
can't select all that apply. just toggles for single choice.

Hmmm...doesn't look like thats an option...

Bebop

Cord cutters are usually OTA and streaming.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

techguy1975

Quote from: Bebop on Saturday Jan 21, 2017, 07:36:43 PM
Cord cutters are usually OTA and streaming.

You can now select multiple