News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

My Free-to-Air Experiment has begun !

Started by Todd Wiedemann, Monday Nov 03, 2003, 10:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Wiedemann

As far as Region free goes, I have three players that are good-to-go ! The legendary APEX-AD600A, a Daewoo and a Portland.

I forget the name of the song or the band, but like the song says: "Breakin' the law, breakin' the law !"

Steve Mann

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Wiedemann
I forget the name of the song or the band, but like the song says: "Breakin' the law, breakin' the law !"

That would be Judas Priest's "Breakin' the law'.   :guitar:

You were close.. you had the title.  :)
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

The Law

I am The LAW!!!

and...

I cannot be broke :rock:

Todd Wiedemann

:D Grabbing the wheel, steering this topic back on course ...

So, Malamute, care to share some of your favorite FTA channels / feeds ??

Todd Wiedemann

Anyone spend any quality time on Telstar 6 (T6) ??

Looks like LOTS of DVB feeds from quite a few sources.

Andy mentioned it yesterday ... I'm curious if it's just news, or what else ??

Tom Snyder

Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Todd Wiedemann

Probably. I can try and find it ...

What's on that channel ?

Todd Wiedemann

Don't think any of the CONUS sats carry it, only European.

Kevin Arnold

C band side of T6 carries Fox, CBS, and some ABC feeds.  They are sometimes encrypted and sometimes in the clear.  The KU side will have in the clear backhauls from local reporters doing remotes, weather channel remotes of idiot reporters standing in hurricanes and one side of an interview.  I know there are the MPEG channels there but have yet to avail myself.  It ought to be a lot of fun Todd when you get that up and running.
Kevin Arnold

Tom Snyder

QuoteWhat's on that channel ?

I have some friends in a rock band in Sweden and they're on TV on Saturday night.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Malamute

Todd,  T6 has even more on it now cause T4 is DIS (DEAD IN SPACE) and T8 is to be put up early next year and was going to replace T4 anyway.  Also G9 will be replaced buy year end and its replacement is already up G13/H13 is at 144.5 W under going finnish testing and will be moved soon. Keep an eye on lyngsat.com and you'll see when it starts to be moved.

The Best satellite to keep an eye on is  SBS-6 , AMC-3 , T5 , cause they fill up on weekends with sports and news feeds.

Here is a list of satellites to watch:
AMC-6  72.oW
SBS-6  74.oW  MSNBC FEEDS
AMC-5  79.oW  ABC/FOX/CNN  FEEDS
AMC-9  85.oW  NBC/InSight  FEEDS
AMC-3  87.oW  TEST CARDS/RADIO/ PBS/ PBS HDTV (National)
GALAXY 11  91.oW  WB/FSN/FSN FEEDS/OLN/SOME LOCAL TV /
    WB FEEDS/ ABC FEEDS/ RFD-TV
TELSTAR 6  93.oW FOX/ CBS NETWORK/ABC FEEDS
GALAXY 3C 95.oW  SOME FEEDS
TELSTAR 5  97.oW  TV / NEWS FEEDS/ LOTS OF INTERNATIONAL CHANNELS
AMC-4  101.oW  TV CHANNELS
AMC-1  103.oW  PAX TV/ NBC FEEDS
ANIK  F1  107.3W  CANADIAN PROGRAMING
GALAXY 10R  123.oW  OUTDOOR CHANNEL/ TV FEED CH / LOTS OF THEM!!
GALAXY 5  125.oW  CNBC US
GALAXY 9  127.oW  S NETWORK/ HD NET
TELSTAR 7  129.oW  SPORTSMAN CH./ IFC
SATCOM  C3  131.oW FOX SPORTS WORLD + FEEDS

Watch them, and then Watch them some more,  you'll be so over loaded you might just want to invest into a NEW TOILET to get some relief.

One more thing Todd.  I use compression F-type connecters, why?  They don't crush the cable unlike the crimp ones do.  I found them at Menards, they sell the tool needed to do it and they sell the connecters too.  I did see a small signal inprovement when I put them on.  Since I live in the fringe area for OTA reception I was getting about 50-60 now I get 65-75, so they do help out, give them a try when you put up your system.

Malamute

:D :D :D

tazman

Hi Todd, Hi Malamute.  You guys are getting the old tazman spinin a huricaine here.  Please do keep this thread or something similar going.  I had quized Malamute a short time ago about his hook up as well.  I am still alittle confused about how HDTV from ku-band DVB is being decoded by an ATSC digital set top box especially when the feed from the sat receiver is comming out of it's RF output to the STB.  Oh well I will just have to stay tuned to your exploits and learn all I can.  I had tried a couple of times on E-bay for a system but was outbid in the last 30 seconds and couldn't respond fast enough.  I also was checking out the Sadoun satellite web site and I am possibly, just maybe gonna give one of those PCI sat tuner cards a try.  When I do make the plunge that is.  Since I'm already doing everything through a dedicated computer right now anyway.  Again buy all means keep this topic going I'm very interested and I'm sure there are others.  

MEDION P-4 2.6 with a Hadgpadge WINTV-HD card.  Sony KF60-XBR800 rear proj. LCD.

If you wonder why I'm sinical about the Haupauge card read my review of it on HDTVpub.  That is if they posted it yet.

Thanks guys

Tazman:)

Todd Wiedemann

QuoteWatch them, and then Watch them some more ...
[/SIZE] Oh, yeah. I will be. :rock:

I've been looking at lyngsat a lot lately, in anticipation of my system arriving. I'm really interested in the NBC channels on AMC4 and the Huntsville Mux on G3, as well as feed and backhaul hunting.

Regarding the NBC channels, are they commercial free ??

QuoteYou guys are getting the old tazman spinin a huricaine here. Please do keep this thread or something similar going.
[/SIZE] Oh, yeah. This discussion won't go away. As a matter of fact, I may twist Tom's arm and get us an 'MPEG2 Free-to Air' forum in the General Forums section ... wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Todd Wiedemann

Guys, check out this link I found at another FTA site ABSAT

If you click on Satellites, then Frequencies/Arc, you'll get the arc map of the satellites below; clicking on a particular satellite will serve up the ABC related frequencies on that satellite !! Exploring the site further will get you general times for those feeds.

Pretty sweet !

Here's what the arc looks like:

uplinkguy

Can't give the specifics, but if you want to watch the bar scene from a cheesehead hometown somewhat related to the #17....
Dewalt tools come to mind as well....;)

Sunday, 2:30 to 4:00 cst. Gal 3c ku, trans. 15, 11985.5 h, 13.0228 symbol rate, 3/4 FEC. 4:2:2 video compression.

Hopefully something to celebrate at the end of the competition.