News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Known Navigator Program Listing Bugs.

Started by Jack 1000, Sunday May 18, 2008, 01:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack 1000

Quote from: LoadStar;47301I got that yesterday as well. A reboot fixed the problem. I think it might have something to do with (what I believe is) the digital simulcast rollout.

I noticed that at the same time that I started having these issues, the digital version of TruTV moved from 18xx to 649. I'll bet they're sending out some weird guide data that the boxes aren't liking.

Yea,

I wish we could get one thing that's positive for Navigator after a reboot like a Keyword Keyboard Search or an expanded sports list (or both!)  I wonder how far away we are from anything like that?  If they want to do the digital simulcasting fine.  But I think users would like to see a positive immediate effect on something.  It's only been what?  Two years? and Navigator is still being debugged.

Having said that, I have been lucky with Navigator so far with little to no problems.  Do you think before the end of the year, we will get some meaningful new channels or features?

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Jack 1000

The new Hallmark Movie Channel SD station on channel 165 just shows a repeat of the regular Hallmark Channel data on Channel 62 in the Guide.

Aztec America appears as a duplicate channel in both the 500 and 800 channel numbers. (Aztec America is supposed to be only on one channel contingent on whether you are a Northern or Southern Wisconsin Subscriber.)

Jack

Kenoman

A strange thing happened last night. My Music Choice channels were blank. Just a white screen. I called customer service and they tried re-booting my box but they still were blank. She was at a loss as to why so she set up a service call for Monday.
Well today I curiously tried them and they were back.
Anyone else have a problem like this?:huh?:

Jack 1000

Quote from: Kenoman;48829A strange thing happened last night. My Music Choice channels were blank. Just a white screen. I called customer service and they tried re-booting my box but they still were blank. She was at a loss as to why so she set up a service call for Monday.
Well today I curiously tried them and they were back.
Anyone else have a problem like this?:huh?:

When I wasn't getting my Premium on Demand Channels last December coinciding with my regular Premium channels I called Customer Service and they tried several box reboots and adjustments (This was when I still had Passport.)  I didn't want a service call.  I said let's give it a day and maybe they will be there.  The CSR said OK and about 4 hours later the channels were there.  I wonder why those prompts take this length of time to go through?  This is similar Kenoman to your Music Choice blank channel experience.  I wonder what it takes from the time a change is made at their computer center, to the time it takes to go to the head-end, and than to the box?

If I had a bad signal, they wouldn't come through at all.  The CSR thought this, but I said no because my picture quality is great.  Maybe it was because I still had Passport and their mainstream was Navigator, which could have caused the delay.  This reminds me of the old days when you scheduled a service call, and they would have to send a tech out to climb a poll to change your service, haha.

I haven't had any channel or service changes since Navigator, installed around mid-April.

TWC really should fix that Hallmark Movie Channel Bug with channel 165 showing the same program listings as regular Hallmark Channel, on 62.

Other thoughts:

Although we now have an expanded sports list in the (B) Find Shows Category, I was not able to find Horse Racing by doing a Theme Search.  the Racing Category showed nothing listed, the Other category did not show anything either.  I would have had to use the keyboard to begin to type "Horse Racing" to get to it.  This should also be corrected where everything on the IPG should be connected  to a Theme Search if one chooses to search in that manner.  (i.e Add an Equestrian Catagory....Passport had that. Or put it in the Racing or Other Sports list.)

Jack

Jack 1000

Greetings All,

For the Metro-Milwaukee area, does anyone know what channel 165 is SUPPOSED to be?

We received notification that Hallmark Movie Channel was going to be included as a new channel along with Daystar TV.  Daystar TV shows on channel 159.  Hallmark Movie Channel programing shows on channel 165, BUT the Navigator IPG Guide data shows duplicate channel listings for regular Hallmark Channel on Channel 62.

Channel 546 shows Hallmark Movie Channel content correctly, in HD, in the Guide, and on the screen.  The confusing part is how DVR's will respond if users try to record something on channel 165.  Are they going to get:

1.) A duplicate of what is on channel 62?

2.) A set-top box error? ("The set top was unable to record the program.")

3.) Or will it record the show that is actually on the screen?

I have not tried this yet myself, but if anyone has any answers as to the channel duplication issues, let us know.

Also TWC's website lists channel 165/62 as both being Hallmark Channel (no Hallmark Movie Channel.)

Speaking of duplicate channels, why are they still showing ME TV on both channel 201 and channel 19?  TWC complains about bandwidth issues and yet users have at least two instances of channel duplication.  No wait!  There is a third, Aztec America appears on a 500's channel and an 800's channel (I don't get the Latino Package, so that is less of an issue for me.)  But look at all this duplication stuff eating up bandwidth!

Does this have anything to do with Navigator's IPG or just TWC entering stuff into their channel database wrong?

Jack

LoadStar

Quote from: Jack 1000;48894But look at all this duplication stuff eating up bandwidth!

Not necessarily. The IPG can dynamically map multiple program guide channel numbers to the same NTSC or QAM channel.

For example, if they wanted, they could have both channels 12 and 512 on the IPG tune to the same QAM channel, completely bypassing the analog channel 12 broadcast. A better example: channels 104 and 574 are both NBC Weather Plus (for now), and I am almost totally certain that both of these channel numbers tune to the same QAM channel.

Now, I don't know that is in fact what is going on with the duplicates you mention, but it's possible.

Jack 1000

Quote from: Jack 1000;48894Greetings All,

For the Metro-Milwaukee area, does anyone know what channel 165 is SUPPOSED to be?

We received notification that Hallmark Movie Channel was going to be included as a new channel along with Daystar TV.  Daystar TV shows on channel 159.  Hallmark Movie Channel programing shows on channel 165, BUT the Navigator IPG Guide data shows duplicate channel listings for regular Hallmark Channel on Channel 62.

Channel 546 shows Hallmark Movie Channel content correctly, in HD, in the Guide, and on the screen.  The confusing part is how DVR's will respond if users try to record something on channel 165.  Are they going to get:

1.) A duplicate of what is on channel 62?

2.) A set-top box error? ("The set top was unable to record the program.")

3.) Or will it record the show that is actually on the screen?

I have not tried this yet myself, but if anyone has any answers as to the channel duplication issues, let us know.

Also TWC's website lists channel 165/62 as both being Hallmark Channel (no Hallmark Movie Channel.)

Speaking of duplicate channels, why are they still showing ME TV on both channel 201 and channel 19?  TWC complains about bandwidth issues and yet users have at least two instances of channel duplication.  No wait!  There is a third, Aztec America appears on a 500's channel and an 800's channel (I don't get the Latino Package, so that is less of an issue for me.)  But look at all this duplication stuff eating up bandwidth!

Does this have anything to do with Navigator's IPG or just TWC entering stuff into their channel database wrong?

Jack

Well,

As of now, the Hallmark Channel duplication in the guide has been fixed.  Other issues above remain, but as is typical of TWC it took them this long to correct a simple guide data error.  This leads me to question their competence to correct larger bug issues.  It's almost like they really should have stuck with Passport, paid the update fees for the rented IPG, and kept a guide that provided better quality data.  I understand their intentions to save money by having an In-House IPG with Navigator.  But it is clear that their programmers do not have the skills or experience needed to provide reliable IPG data on their own.  Outside expertise in this area would be of great benefit to this company.

Jack

Jack 1000

As of last night the following errors were in Navigator's program guide:

1.) Navigator listings for ME-TV on channel 19 were showing up incorrectly as content on THIS TV for channel 19   Or to put it another way, channel 19's ME-TV IPG data on Navigator is showing up as THIS-TV guide data. Physically tuning to channel 19 ME TV shows correct ME TV content playing on the screen.  But DVR users may not be able to record ME TV Programing off of the Navigator Guide because the IPG shows THIS-TV's program listings instead of ME-TV on Channel 19.

2.) THIS TV, on Channel 201 appears to have the correct information, both on the IPG and on screen.

Jack

nick3092

Quote from: Jack 1000;49116As of last night the following errors were in Navigator's program guide:

1.) Navigator listings for ME-TV on channel 19 were showing up incorrectly as content on THIS TV for channel 19   Or to put it another way, channel 19's ME-TV IPG data on Navigator is showing up as THIS-TV guide data. Physically tuning to channel 19 ME TV shows correct ME TV content playing on the screen.  But DVR users may not be able to record ME TV Programing off of the Navigator Guide because the IPG shows THIS-TV's program listings instead of ME-TV on Channel 19.

2.) THIS TV, on Channel 201 appears to have the correct information, both on the IPG and on screen.

Jack

It may be unrelated, but when I tune 58.3 on my QAM tuner, it's picking up METV as the channel name, but it's actually THIS.  58.1 and 58.2 are correctly displaying CBS HD and WMLW on my TV.  So maybe it's not a Navigator issue, but instead a TW issue?

Which, I noticed TW recently mapped all the unencrypted QAM channels to their OTA counterparts.  Which is nice.  Now I don't have to remember that CBS was 85.3, or whatever.

Jack 1000

The Problem has been fixed.  It sure seems like TWC may be reading this board!

Jack

Jack 1000

Navigator bug MDN: 2.4.4-15

TWC: Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin Vicinity

When recording two shows in the same time slots, it is known you cannot change channels. It gave me a choice of pressing "A" or "SEL" to stop one recording, but it would not let me stop the recording indicated by the "A" button. I had to Exit out of the screen, go under List, and Cancel the recording that way.

Jack

Jack 1000

Has anyone had this intermittent Navigator bug?

SA-8300HD box (MDN) Version 2.4.6-19 (Latest MDN build.)

NORMALLY: When you add time to an individual recording, (ie. Record Show With Options) and you modify the Start Time or End Time to a Show, and you save your changes you get something like:

"Updating recordings scheduled, press A to continue watching watching TV. Check Record List for possible conflicts."

SOMETIMES: You make the changes and you don't get the updating notice and the time of the recording when you check the Show List never changes.

In my case, I have had to cancel the recording and redo it using Record Show With Options when the DVR is first programmed to make it work. (I do not Record Series, therefore I do not use the Series Manager.)

Has anyone had my experience where you modify time recordings and they don't take in the DVR show list? (ie. It just keeps the original time.) If this happened to you did it record with the original time you selected, or the updated time?

I have had this intermittent problem for a couple years. A workaround that always works is to change the Start/End Times for a recording when you first schedule it.

Jack

Rick_EE

It appears we have lost the ability to sort the favorites at the beginning of the guide.  Or is it just me?

Jack 1000

On my SA-8300HD box,

I want to report that the "Sports Now" category is very heavily truncated.  There may be only 2-4 Sports Listings that show up in this category at any point in time.  This has been like this for several months.  The other "Now" categories such as "News and Weather Now, HDTV Now, and Kids Now," show the proper wide range of program information.

Jack

Jack 1000

Note,

Subscribers of the optional Digital Sports Package.  An intermittent bug seems to occur where if you change channels, sometimes returning to a channel in the Sports Package displays a Channel Not Available Message.  Going to another channel in the Sports Package and than back to the original channel brings the picture back again.  However, they are adding several HD channels between now and the end of the year in small approximately weekly increments, so this could be a reason for the "Channel Not Available" bug.

Jack