News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Matrox MX02 Mini

Started by Greg Oman, Thursday Mar 03, 2011, 11:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Oman

Hi,

One thing that's always bugged me is that there is no good easy way to universally archive content from HD sources other than OTA. Anyone who has had a DVR fail on them, taking out whatever you were saving knows what I mean :(

Anyway, there are a few options, but most are pretty cost prohibitive to the recreational home user. Matrox makes this device that appears would do the trick, and sells for $400-$450ish it appears.  Anyone have any experience with one?

Here's a link with a bit more info:
http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/pc/mxo2_family/mxo2_mini/#close

Thanks!

Snard

I don't have any experience with it, but Hauppauge makes a less expensive ($199) device that records from HD component video (but no HDMI):

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html
- Mike Shawaluk

Samsung UN46D6000
Philips 40PFL4706/F7B

Now with Windows Media Center and HDHomeRun Prime!

LoadStar

And there's always the BlackMagic Intensity card or external USB 3.0 device:
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

Greg Oman

Thanks. I did buy one of the Hauppauge HD-PVR's a few years back, right when it came out. Ended up returning it, could not get it working properly, had 3 different PC's of adequate capability and OS. Maybe they improved the software/firmware by now.

Ah, thanks for the reminder about BlackMagic! At last look they didn't have these products out (or the internal version was over $1000). That may be worth a look.

Anyone tried one of these (either internal or external)?

Greg O.

TPK

Quote from: Greg Oman;57086Thanks. I did buy one of the Hauppauge HD-PVR's a few years back, right when it came out. Ended up returning it, could not get it working properly, had 3 different PC's of adequate capability and OS. Maybe they improved the software/firmware by now.

Ah, thanks for the reminder about BlackMagic! At last look they didn't have these products out (or the internal version was over $1000). That may be worth a look.

Anyone tried one of these (either internal or external)?

Greg O.

I was successful in setting up a SageTV system with the Hauppauge unit and a TWC cable box...  IT works well, although channel changes take forever (up to 20 seconds)...  Right now I am attempting to get it to change channels via firewire instead of the included IR blaster, but its near impossible to get that to work under 64 bit windows 7 since the drivers for the cable box are so old...

How does the Matrox Mini unit work???  Can you connect that to a PC??  I don't see a USB port on the thing but I do see that "host" port, but it looks like a proprietary connector...  What does it connect to??

Does it really encode from HDMI and strip out the HDCP??

Olias

I used the Black Magic Intensity card for about 8 months with SageTV, but ended up selling it and purchasing a pair of the Hauppauge HD-PVR's (the HD-PVRs were supported by Sage but the Intensity was not). They have been working very well for me (channel changes in 5 seconds via serial/USB with DirecTV).

Hauppage now has an internal card called the Colossus (169.00) retail that looks promising.

Also AverMedia has a capture device, the AverTV HD DVR but I don't know how well it performs.

...lots of choices now. Much different situation than just a few years ago when the Intensity was the only affordable option.

Greg Oman

TPK-- It appears that you get a PCIe host adapter card to connect to the external device via a proprietary cable. Not sure how it works with HDCP, part of why I was asking if anyone had tried one.

I hadn't really thought of the SageTV aspect, but that may be an additional plus. My primary interest is transferring off TV shows, storing them on a NAS that I can use any Windows PC to play, or something like a Roku, as I know eventually my Uverse DVR will fail, or I'll want to switch to something else.

Appreciate all the suggestions, yea, a lot has changed in just a few years!

Greg O.