News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

WMLW to join HDTV tier on TWC?

Started by Snard, Wednesday Jul 07, 2004, 11:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snard

I was browsing around on http://www.timewarnerwi.com the other day, and I noticed the link named "Channel Lineup", which gives a filtered or unfiltered view of the available channels. If I choose an available lineup (i.e. Time Warner Cable - Milwaukee - Digital), and scroll through down to the 500's, they show WMLW as channel 507. I've tried this channel on my HD cable box, but it's not there (yet)

Can mHz40 or another Time Warner insider tell us if this channel is coming to the HDTV tier soon? If so, are they really going to have HD content?

And on a similar thread, does anyone know if TWC Southeastern WI is planning on adding the Good Life cable channel anytime soon? There are a few programs that only air on this channel that I'd like to be able to watch. I've visited their web site, and they imply that Time Warner carries their channel, but I suspect it's in some other part of the country.

Thanks,
- Mike Shawaluk

Samsung UN46D6000
Philips 40PFL4706/F7B

Now with Windows Media Center and HDHomeRun Prime!

gparris

WMLW is part or the Weigel Broadcast Group and wanted to get all of its offerings on the cable system. This meant the cable system had to do it. 507 appears in the Southern end of the Cable area (mine in Kenosha) because we use channel 7 for Chicago Channel 7 (analogue) as part of what we get for Chicago stations here.
With no where else to go for channel 7, TWC stuck 507 in the HD lineup for us, why I didn't know so I called them:
 I asked about it, complaining because all it has are reruns with no network affiliation like 18 and 24, which can actually have something new with all of their reruns!
I was told that was TWC ran out of space in analogue channels here in Kenosha and had to put in their digital tier, not as digital as in actual digital broadcast, but in the digital tier lineup.
The darn channel sticks itself right in the middle of all the HD channels and is not HD at all, nor would I expect it to be. Obviously, TWC is not running out of digital channel space, but making it 507 is simply, well, irritating. :mad:
IF TWC wants to stick some of its analogue Sci-Fi  and other more watched channels that actually have NEW programming, THERE obviously is some space they can place them in the digitally-delivered realm of 507 (or whatever!) for better picture.
Channel 507 is a definite waste for channel space, IMO!:mad:

John L

If WVTV, ch. 18 is intending to start broadcasting some programs in HD soon, I would hope TWC would add them as well.

-John L.

mhz40

wmlw is on two of our lineups in digital form on 507, the rest carry it on analog 7.

Joseph S

This is ridiculous. How about ESPN or another HD station? TWC surely has seen the trash this station is when HD sports are broadcast. When are they going to get the fiber optics hooked up between 58 and TWC???? It's been years now and we still have the foolish multicast.

borghe

Personally this falls on 58 if you ask me. Ever since they upgraded to a class A, they are now on DirecTV, on all local cable systems, and probably easier to pick up analog OTA than digital. Really 58.. get the fiber run and turn off 58-2. At this point you are just wasting bandwidth.

mhz40

QuoteOriginally posted by Joseph S
This is ridiculous. How about ESPN or another HD station? TWC surely has seen the trash this station is when HD sports are broadcast. When are they going to get the fiber optics hooked up between 58 and TWC???? It's been years now and we still have the foolish multicast.

507 is SD only.

mhz40

QuoteOriginally posted by Joseph S
What makes you think TW is the sole (or any) reason for the multicast?  Maybe multicast is just the way DJT wants to operate.

Joseph S

QuoteWhat makes you think TW is the sole (or any) reason for the multicast? Maybe multicast is just the way DJT wants to operate.

That's what we've been told by Jim Hall of CBS for years. They can't shut off the multicast because TW can't get 41 or 63 otherwise because there is no fiber feed.

GBK

who cares about 41.  it's like channel 6 take the packers away from them and nobody would even know its there.

Snard

QuoteOriginally posted by GBK
who cares about 41.  it's like channel 6 take the packers away from them and nobody would even know its there.
I beg to differ. WMLW does have some unique content that I enjoy: Three Stooges and Svengoolie shows that are produced by WCIU in Chicago, another Weigel Broadcasting property.

But I'm not saying that they should be multicasting and degrading the quality of the main channel. I just like some of the shows that are being aired. If they eventually run fiber to TWC and stop multicasting, it will be fine by me.
- Mike Shawaluk

Samsung UN46D6000
Philips 40PFL4706/F7B

Now with Windows Media Center and HDHomeRun Prime!

StarvingForHDTV

Wouldn't channel 41 have to put out their own OTA digital signal if the multicast was ended?  Same with Telemundo 63 I would think.

GBK

Let's agree to disagree on programming.. Not the real point.  The problem is parent company is saving a few bucks at the expense of the other station 58.  Basically the viewers get screwed.  If TWC wants the damn station on their line up tell them to run the fiber themselves.  I still say if you are supposed to be on AIR you get paid by ads... I have to watch them.. so I want to watch the AIR (free) feed as it was intended not multicast because there is no fiber feed to TWC.

mhz40

the baseline of facts here are misleading... no, they are simply wrong.  things have changed sinse posts of a year or six months ago.  so please stop bashing the cable co.
fact- low power stations are not required to be carried on cable systems.
fact-  41 & 63 are low power stations
fact- channel 63 is now on analog channel 66.
fact- weigel broadcasting is in control of digital bandwidth... noone else.
now; with all due respect (and i mean that!), find your business calculators, do some math and point your collective frustrations elsewhere.  your off-air cbs-hd bandwidth woes are not rooted in the cable industry.

GBK

I am the first to admit it I'm extremely biased against the cable industry. If I am given the opportunity to bash i will take it. :-)
I find it completely stupid to pay for channels that are free over the air.  I understand there is cost of retransmission etc.  I don't care.  Cable has been screwing the viewers over for so many years people are just used to it.  Why is cable cost going up. ?? did they add new stations..? NO.  Digital cable is hardly digital. and you have to rent the remote! Everything has its positives and negatives I find cable to be mostly negative.  
My main point is that the over the AIR stations should first work on making their improvements to over the AIR equipment.  as in broadcast Digital or HD over the air on your own (not multicast) then worry about running fiber to cable company.