News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

HDTV set-top box that does QAM?

Started by Snard, Wednesday Dec 03, 2003, 04:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snard

Hi there,

As my signature states, I have Time-Warner cable, and I am currently renting the Pioneer 3510 box (which works fine). I was doing a web search recently on set-top decoders, and I notice that Samsung makes the SIR-T351, which is said to decode both OTA 8VSB as well as QAM (digital cable) signals. And all for a street price of $350-375. A couple of the web pages state the disclaimer about "unencrypted QAM only", which I understand. So, my question is, does anyone here have one of these puppies, and if so, are you using it with TWC? And if so, which channels does it work with? Does it also display the program guide? Have I asked enough questions yet?

Thanks in advance,
- Mike Shawaluk

Samsung UN46D6000
Philips 40PFL4706/F7B

Now with Windows Media Center and HDHomeRun Prime!

StarvingForHDTV

I don't think I can answer your questions, but make sure you look into the audio dropouts issue reported on other forums for that box.  I ended up buying the 151 instead.

With the QAM bit, it may depend on whether our local Time Warner is encrypting the signals you want to display on your box.  Maybe Mhz40 could answer that.

Starving

mhz40

I beleive everything is encrypted.... and I don't think the guide will work either.  The new Open Cable agreement has been signed.  Once hardware is available, you will be able to slide in a card into the device so cable companies can authorize decryption of services.  Try a google search to find out more details.