News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New Set Coming for FOX6

Started by BK7725, Friday Nov 02, 2012, 10:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BK7725

According to Duane Dudek, FOX6 will be building a new set, starting in December.  From the article:

WITI is shedding its 14-year-old news set. Construction starts in December, and the new set should debut in January.

During that period, newscasts will air from the studio of WITI's "Real Milwaukee" talk show set.

"We're totally starting over. We're taking everything out of the studio and starting from scratch," said Steinmetz. "It was time."

The current set was built in 1998 and has had "three major face lifts," Steinmetz said. "The new set will be "modern and sophisticated" and "warm and inviting."

http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/tvradio/tv-stations-cashing-in-on-elections-but-ready-for-season-to-end-f77f2mt-176874311.html

----------

All I can say is... finally!!

ArgMeMatey

I am guessing that at conventions for locals/affiliates, there is now typically a seminar entitled, "Using political polls to forecast your capital improvement budget & construction schedule".

REVM1M

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;58944I am guessing that at conventions for locals/affiliates, there is now typically a seminar entitled, "Using political polls to forecast your capital improvement budget & construction schedule".

what!!!!!!!!!

mrschimpf

Tthere's an error in there and the news staff will use the Wake Up set in Studio B, not the Real Milwaukee "set" which is just a table on a stage in Studio A, which Chuck did confirm was a mis-speak in the article's comments section. Though I'm sure part of the remodel involves a separate set piece for RM finally.

No matter how you say it though; it's about time. Fourteen years is a good run for any set (I suspect the Fox-Local TV sale forced them to add a few more years on just out of the slimmer pockets of Local TV), but it's definitely time. Hopefully the last night on the old set involves taking a hammer to the CRT's embedded in that table piece in the background...then we know the analog age in Milwaukee is officially dead.:rof:

I just hope they keep the openness of the old set in the redesign. I don't want a claustrophobic one-desk/one-weather center setup like WISN, WBAY and WFRV have insisted on using.

trev57

The set is being designed by FX Group. Expect it to look something like this. Or this. Or this. There is a very outside chance it could look like this.

trev57

The process is underway. As of today all newscasts will be done from the WakeUp set until the new studio is done.

trev57

They have also started a slideshow of the progress if anyone's interested in following along.

http://fox6now.com/2012/11/21/pictures-fox6-news-studio-set-to-be-rebuilt/

trev57

For those wondering about the status of the new set...

QuoteEarlier today I had the opportunity to go down to the WITI studios and tour the new set, as well as the rest of the building. The only rule was no pictures allowed, so I will do my best to describe the set to everyone.

The set is colorful and features lots of wood tones, mixing in technology while also keeping it warm and inviting. It's yet another unique, well designed, one-of-a-kind set done by FX Group. Gone are the dedicated sports and weather areas, as well as the Real Milwaukee/multi-purpose area. Starting on the far left, there is a 3 monitor vertical set up, similar to what is being used now in Studio B. Immediately next to that is a gigantic, movable 3x3 video wall that I've been assured has an endless number of uses. Moving right to the corner of the set is where you will find the new main anchor desk with an 80" monitor being used as the new backdrop (this also moves). The new desk is an oblong desk that features a "FOX 6 MILWAUKEE" logo. As you move right from there, you will find another 3 monitor vertical set up as well as a movable vertical plasma. Next you will find a faux window divider, which then takes you into the secondary set.

This set features the old anchor desk and color changing LED back lit walls. The desk has been refurbished; where it used to say "FOX 6 MILWAUKEE" there is now a color changing bar and the FOX6 NEWS logo on the front has been replaced with a monitor. This secondary set will be used for "Real Milwaukee", all sports shows, and a yet-to-be-named 4pm show set to debut this fall.

Throughout the main set you will find colorful wall duratrans with images of downtown Milwaukee on them. No date has been decided on for the debut of the set; I was told by their GM that they do not want to launch "until everything is perfect." Only a tentative timetable of hopefully by the end of the month was given. The set will also launch with current graphics, as the new graphics package and new master control room wont be ready until later this year. Overall the new set is gorgeous, and will not disappoint. While I was hoping that the set would be like the one at WCCO, I'm not upset that it isn't. More updates to come as launch date draws near.
from my TVNT exclusive, 1/10/13

trev57