News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Our ABC affiliate is terrible.

Started by PONIES, Thursday Jul 05, 2012, 11:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PONIES

Can someone explain to me why WISN-TV feels compelled to be the most obnoxious affiliate ever? Look at this garbage:

This has been on the screen the entire time. As if adding their own, second bug next to the ABC logo all the time was not bad enough, apparently WISN feels the need to tell us that it's warm outside. Wow, I had no idea! Who are they trying to appeal to with this? Shut-ins who never leave mom's basement and can't walk outside and feel for themselves that it's hot?

The most pathetic thing is that 91 degrees is just such a comparably mild temperature when looking at what it normally is in any state more to the south than us. 91 degrees is a cold day in Arizona. Did I miss the memo that Wisconsinites will melt when it's in the 90's? If we were looking at temperatures above 115 degrees, maybe I could excuse this nonsense. This is abuse of weather information affiliates were originally designed for - they were only meant to plaster warnings on the screen when something that was actually serious was minutes away from hitting you - like a tornado. Not a warm day!!

Do ABC affiliates do this crap in any other market? Any benefits that might be gained by WISN having a full 17 Mbps bitrate are completely negated by how obnoxious they are when it comes to spamming the screen. They are just a pointless middle man in between me and the ABC network feed on C Band satellite (which is 24 Mbps H.264 with no stupid '12' logo plastered on it by the way - if you were somehow impressed by WISN's 17 Mbps MPEG-2 re-encoded spammy version of that feed, you shouldn't be)

PONIES

Oh yeah, and this scrolling crap has been on the screen a lot too:

WISN, I am watching you via an ANTENNA. Why do I care what Time Warner is doing with you? Get this crap OFF your over-the-air signal. I hope Time Warner does drop your sorry asses. You don't deserve to be paid by Time Warner customers for the way you molest ABC's content.

It would be nice if Time Warner could find a way to negotiate with Disney so they could grab ABC's national network feed off of satellite and send it out to their subscribers in WISN's place. That'd show them.

Jack 1000

I agree Ponies,

The snow thing was bad enough, but for heat?!!!  The only guess would be for elderly and/or disabled who may not have cable or any other TV vendors to let them know about the hot weather for medical reasons.  There have been cases of heat stroke with temp index's in the 100's.

I would like to see a station for people who don't have cable, U-Verse, or Dish, just for weather information and the word could be gotten out for people to go to that station for weather information.  Local Broadcast Networks would ONLY have weather information during news casts.  During commercials, which are mostly infomercials in todays economy you could than run ads during severe weather situations for people without cable, Dish, or U-Verse, to tun to channel_________ for important weather information.

Unless there are dire weather emergencies, keep the weather restricted to a weather channel or the local news.

Jack

QuotePS. It would be nice if Time Warner could find a way to negotiate with Disney so they could grab ABC's national network feed off of satellite and send it out to their subscribers in WISN's place. That'd show them.

I agree 100% with the above.
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

trev57

You're complaining about this? Have you noticed that TMJ has been leaving their entire "TMJ4 HD Heat Warning" news bug on the screen?

WITI6fan

Bonus "bad" points to WISN for not bothering to line the thing up with the bugs.

Just slap it on anywhere.

trev57

PONIES

I love it so much that I exclusively watch Chicago's ABC now.

It's not smart to **** off your viewers who are located in two DMAs, WISN. Good job!