News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

OTA antenna to 3 TV's

Started by Ralph Kramden, Saturday Sep 18, 2004, 05:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Kramden

I installed a Winegard OTA antenna(VHF & UHF) antenna to my HDTV set a few months ago, and it has worked great. A couple days ago, I added a 3-way splitter to run to an analog set, and a front projector. The run from splitter to HDTV set is about 15 feet. From splitter to analog set & projector(with Dish Network 811 HD receiver) are both 50 feet. It appears I now need an amp of some sort to pick up all the channels I was getting before I split signal. I need some advice what type of amp to get, and it will be mounted in crawl space, so it will be inconvenient to adjust. Thanks for any input.

Gregg Lengling

First off when you use a splitter you usually are losing 3dB per port, rather than a line amp, I would use an amplified splitter.  I would stay away from the Radio Shack amps or splitter amps as too many of them create noise and IM problems.  Just do a Google on TV antenna line amps and find one that fits your needs.  For a 3 way splitter you need only a 10dB amp to bring things back where they were.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Ralph Kramden

Thanks Gregg. Is it a problem that the 1 TV is only about 15 feet from splitter, and the other 2 are 50 feet? Is there such a thing as a 3-way line amp, or do I need to buy a 4-way line amp and use a terminator for the unused one?

mhz40

Your best bet is a standard 4-way, which loses 7.5 on all ports... coupled with an amp that gives you 10 db of gain (on the input of the new splitter).  That way you will still have a few db left over for your cable runs...   Again, Radio Shack quality is asking for more trouble than it's worth.  Locally, you can try Marmax around 51st & Rawson I think.
If you are running your own coax, look into some prep tools and fittings there too.  Don't get your pliers out to crimp any fittings.