News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

WeatherNation WIWN 68-1 lip sync

Started by beeper, Wednesday May 14, 2014, 02:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beeper

Has anyone told WIWN 68-1 how far off their lip sync is?

Has been a chronic issue for quite a while.

Does anyone even watch WIWN?

LoadStar

Quote from: beeper;59944Has anyone told WIWN 68-1 how far off their lip sync is?

Has been a chronic issue for quite a while.

Does anyone even watch WIWN?

I try to get it in, but apparently my antenna isn't good enough.

beeper

The chronic lip sync issue seems to have been resolved.

beeper

Quote from: LoadStar;59945I try to get it in, but apparently my antenna isn't good enough.

WIWN is lower power and on RF 5 so it needs an efficient VHF antenna.
I have a roof top UHF/VHF antenna and get it no problem, but I'm just at the Western County line.

I do have one TV with rabbit ears and it receives the weak signal but a scrambled picture.

beeper

The lip sync issue on WIWN has returned.

Jack 1000

Quote from: beeper;59949The lip sync issue on WIWN has returned.

TWC adds it next month, (Channel 68 in SD/1068 in HD.)

WTMJ's "Storm Track" (formerly in TWC channel 999) was not a part of TWC's new agreement with Journal Broadcasting and was dropped.  Weather Channel isn't even weather anymore, at least not like it was in the past.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

mrschimpf

Pappas, which has been in wind-down mode for years under a bankruptcy trust, is selling WIWN to a company known as "Caballero Acquisition" for $1.8 million.

They mainly own a bunch of low-power do-nothing MTV Tres stations in California and Texas Viacom unloaded in one of their convoluted 'buy out a competing network and gut them for ours' schemes, but hopefully outside of adding a couple of subchannels, probably won't remove WeatherNation since Tres is already on cable market-wide and running a budding full-power operation is a lot different than little LP's simulcasting re-dubbed MTV programs.

Weeters

Quote from: mrschimpf;59979Pappas, which has been in wind-down mode for years under a bankruptcy trust, is selling WIWN to a company known as "Caballero Acquisition" for $1.8 million.

They mainly own a bunch of low-power do-nothing MTV Tres stations in California and Texas Viacom unloaded in one of their convoluted 'buy out a competing network and gut them for ours' schemes, but hopefully outside of adding a couple of subchannels, probably won't remove WeatherNation since Tres is already on cable market-wide and running a budding full-power operation is a lot different than little LP's simulcasting re-dubbed MTV programs.

Can someone explain how this channel is worth $1.8 million? Pappas certainly came out ahead on that one. I can't imagine it cost more than a fairly nice car to build this station (I've heard of low power operations that have actual programming being built for under $50k). They don't own their own tower and they don't have studio facilities. There's probably a computer or two sitting in a rack at the transmitter doing everything autonomously.

LoadStar

Quote from: Weeters;59988Can someone explain how this channel is worth $1.8 million? Pappas certainly came out ahead on that one. I can't imagine it cost more than a fairly nice car to build this station (I've heard of low power operations that have actual programming being built for under $50k). They don't own their own tower and they don't have studio facilities. There's probably a computer or two sitting in a rack at the transmitter doing everything autonomously.

Full-power broadcast frequencies are a limited resource.

There's also the upcoming incentive auction that make these frequencies even more valuable. I would actually expect that the auction is the *only* reason that Caballero wants the channel. I don't expect they'll do anything with the channel at all  - they'll probably just have it continuing to air WeatherNation or some other automated programming until the auction.