News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Time Warner Cable - All about Digital Transport Adapters

Started by LoadStar, Saturday Aug 03, 2013, 02:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfelbab

Good thing I printed out the receipt showing no one-time or monthly charges.  If they try to charge me for my DTA's I will send them a copy.  :bang:

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: LoadStar;59571because this box is compatible with PowerKEY, it gives you access to all the non-SDV digital channels in the standard TV package, most of which aren't transmitted in clear QAM. (Far as I know, the only channels Time Warner transmits in clear QAM are the broadcast stations.)

Thanks.  For some reason I had thought you were saying this box only tuned broadcast (OTA) stations in QAM.  Reading back, I am not sure where I got that idea.  So you're saying it gets you standard and basic in QAM, encrypted and non-encrypted, as long as the channels aren't switched digital, right?  

Any idea whether they are providing these for what I think they call BASIC customers as well?  That's the program that includes OTA NTSC, basic NTSC, and OTA Clear QAM.  It cost about $20 a few years ago.

jfelbab

The pair of DTA's I ordered arrived today and neither goes past searching for channels.  I called TW and they are rolling a tech to see what is happening. They do seem to respond quickly to Signature service customer issues. Seems like this should just work out of the box but no dice for me.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: jfelbab;59598The pair of DTA's I ordered arrived today and neither goes past searching for channels.  I called TW and they are rolling a tech to see what is happening. They do seem to respond quickly to Signature service customer issues. Seems like this should just work out of the box but no dice for me.

I thought the usual MO for these was that you had to hook it up, turn it on, and then call them with the MAC address to get it authorized.   (Presumably this removes the incentive for theft in transit.)

jfelbab

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;59599I thought the usual MO for these was that you had to hook it up, turn it on, and then call them with the MAC address to get it authorized.   (Presumably this removes the incentive for theft in transit.)

The person at the activation number never asked about a MAC address and said that it should just work out of the box. :huh?:   At any rate, a tech will be here shortly to address whatever is needed. :Smash:

LoadStar

The procedure with the DTAs:
1) Hook up in *all* DTAs on your account and turn them all on.
2) Call into the telephone number that appears on the screen. Choose the option to activate the boxes.
3) The system will send an activation signal to the boxes.

You don't need to provide the MAC address; they'll just send a "hit" to all the boxes associated with the account.

jfelbab

Quote from: LoadStar;59603The procedure with the DTAs:
1) Hook up in *all* DTAs on your account and turn them all on.
2) Call into the telephone number that appears on the screen. Choose the option to activate the boxes.
3) The system will send an activation signal to the boxes.

You don't need to provide the MAC address; they'll just send a "hit" to all the boxes associated with the account.

I hooked them up and called the phone number listed in the instructions.  However, no number appeared on my TV screens, only a message saying "Scanning for channels" that never went away on either box.

A tech was dispatched and he had no idea what was happening.  He called someone who seemed to know what needed to be done and both boxes came on-line and then shortly downloaded an upgrade.  All up and running now with much better PQ than before, as I expected.

ddeerrff

I installed one a few nights ago.  Hooked it up, it downloaded an update and did a channel scan, then popped up a screen telling me to call the number to have it activated.  

I called the number, and the automated system failed.  It sent me to a service rep who had no idea what a "Digital Adapter" or DTA was.  She gave me a new number to call for "Level 3 activations".

Called the second number and after the normal automated phone system and the obligatory 20 minute wait, the guy I got had no idea what a "Digital Adapter" or DTA was.  I explained to him what the previous lady had said - that I would be calling "Level 3 Activations" - but he said no, he was not level 3 but he could connect me to them.  

After finally getting to level 3, I told the guy my story.  He played along a bit inferring he didn't know what a DTA was either, but about 30 seconds into the conversation the programming popped on.  

In all, it took me about 45 minutes on the phone.  Thank God for level 3!

Kenoman

Quote from: LoadStar;59591Grrrrr...... I just got my bill, and yeah, they're charging $0.99 for the DTA.

@%#&!

Just received a letter from TWC and they say the digital adapters are free till 2015.

jfelbab

Got that same letter today.   It also announced the demise of around 10 analog channels and noted that they would be digital only after 9/11/13.  

The channels affected are WPXE-iTV (Ch15), WVCY (Ch23), WWRS-TBN (CH21), WMLV (Ch7), LMN (Ch65), Golf Channel (Ch28), CNBC (Ch47), EWTN (Ch97) TWC (Ch64) along with Public Educational and Government Access programming.

Loadstar, If they are billing you already, call and point them to this letter, dated 8/9/2013.

gparris

Quote from: jfelbab;59625Got that same letter today.   It also announced the demise of around 10 analog channels and noted that they would be digital only after 9/11/13.  

The channels affected are WPXE-iTV (Ch15), WVCY (Ch23), WWRS-TBN (CH21), WMLV (Ch7), LMN (Ch65), Golf Channel (Ch28), CNBC (Ch47), EWTN (Ch97) TWC (Ch64) along with Public Educational and Government Access programming.

Loadstar, If they are billing you already, call and point them to this letter, dated 8/9/2013.

This means, if each analogue channel holds the space of at least 2 HD channels, these going digital-only, the prospect of maybe 20 more HD channels that can be added and with those FOX channels being added (other thread), a workable thing from that perspective.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: gparris;59629This means, if each analogue channel holds the space of at least 2 HD channels, these going digital-only, the prospect of maybe 20 more HD channels that can be added and with those FOX channels being added (other thread), a workable thing from that perspective.

To what extent does TW reduce data (internet) congestion by segmenting the network vs. allocating additional spectrum to data?  

I am wondering if some of the free space will be used for internet market-wide, both to increase capacity and provide higher tiers of service, or if they tend to build out fiber closer and closer to customers for the same effect.

kevbeck122

This whole DTA thing must be a mess for TWC, or they didn't get much of a response the last time they tried this.  They started rolling these out last November... sent a letter out stating the exact same thing you are all getting now.  Only then, I think they said the DTAs were free through the end of the year (2012).  I picked one up at the Mayfair store shortly before switching back to DIRECTV last year.  They told me it wouldn't work for a week or so, til it was "officially supported", but I was able to get the non SDV digital channels and local HD after letting it sit for a few hours IIRC.  Maybe had to call in too, but don't remember.

kevbeck122

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;59632To what extent does TW reduce data (internet) congestion by segmenting the network vs. allocating additional spectrum to data?  

I am wondering if some of the free space will be used for internet market-wide, both to increase capacity and provide higher tiers of service, or if they tend to build out fiber closer and closer to customers for the same effect.

They are currently bonding 4 channels on the downstream for internet, with 1 upstream channel (for DOCSIS 3 modems).  Technically they could offer a max of 152 down/9 up service with the current setup if they had the bandwidth available at the node.  I don't seem them adding more channels for internet in the near future (except for maybe upstream), but they could do an 8x4 channel bond setup to get a max of about 304 down/108 up.

At this point if they wanted to provide higher tiers, they just need to up the bandwidth to the nodes and/or upgrade the CMTS equipment (converts the fiber at the node to coax) if it can't handle the additional bandwidth.

beerbrat

Finally got these suckers.  I ordered 2 for my parents on 8/5...that order was for some reason held up and was never shipped.  I went to the Southridge store today with my dad.  The service rep acknowledged the existing order - said my dad was already being charged the .99/box for the boxes that never shipped.  twc dude cancelled that order and set us up under the free box promotion and gave us 2 new boxes.

So if you're being charged for the boxes, I'd be on the phone raising a fuss.