News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New TWC HD Channels in Test Mode!!!

Started by Jack 1000, Wednesday Nov 04, 2009, 04:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwerner

Just curious, considering how many HD channels TWC has added in the past year, has anyone noticed a degradation in picture quality?  Did TWC increase their bandwith to support all of these additions?

The reason I ask is because I left TWC for D* 2 years ago due to the quantity of HD channels and the customer service.  It seems now that TWC has really kicked things into gear from an HD standpoint and has more of what I want compared to D*.  On the flipside, D*'s customer service is still light years ahead of TWC.

Jack 1000

Quote from: wireblsam;53944So that's 9 out of the 10 promised.  Wonder what they have against ESPNU HD?

Nothing I am sure,

I think the remaining channels will be available in December which would be ESPNU HD, and E HD.  I think I saw Style HD listed on the website too along with Game HD and Team HD. (What are Game HD and Team HD anyway?)  There might be others coming too!

TWC divisions are FINALLY starting to streamline new HD channel additions, (provided that bandwidth is available.) with more uniformity and consistency.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

kevbeck122

Quote from: nwerner;53945Just curious, considering how many HD channels TWC has added in the past year, has anyone noticed a degradation in picture quality?  Did TWC increase their bandwith to support all of these additions?

The reason I ask is because I left TWC for D* 2 years ago due to the quantity of HD channels and the customer service.  It seems now that TWC has really kicked things into gear from an HD standpoint and has more of what I want compared to D*.  On the flipside, D*'s customer service is still light years ahead of TWC.

My parents have TWC... I haven't noticed any degradation in quality when I'm at their house, though they only have the box on their 30" HDTV.  TWC uses switched digital video, which basically means that a channel only gets sent through the pipes when you or someone in your neighborhood is watching it.  That's how they "save" bandwidth for more HD channels.

You might want to wait a little while if you want to switch.  D* is launching a new satellite, if on schedule, by the end of the year or first part of January.  Their commercials are saying they will have the capacity for 200 HD national channels.  If the launch is successful and they have agreements with the channels to carry them, we'll probably see new HD channels around March.

klwillis45

Quote from: wireblsam;53944So that's 9 out of the 10 promised.  Wonder what they have against ESPNU HD?
Extremely low viewership since the launch of Big Ten Network?

Quote from: Jack 1000;53946(What are Game HD and Team HD anyway?)
InDemand channels for their season sports packages like MLB Extra Innings.

nwerner

Quote from: kevbeck122;53947You might want to wait a little while if you want to switch.  D* is launching a new satellite, if on schedule, by the end of the year or first part of January.  Their commercials are saying they will have the capacity for 200 HD national channels.  If the launch is successful and they have agreements with the channels to carry them, we'll probably see new HD channels around March.

I really don't have a lot of desire to switch back to TWC and am aware that Directv is launching their new satellite.  Hopefully, it goes up without any problems.  There's really only two HD channels that I want that D* doesn't carry in MKE and those would be PBS and Travel HD.  Luckily, they do have TWC beat on the NFL Network.  

But, if anything happens with Directv 12 my hand may be forced to make the switch back.

gparris

Quote from: Jack 1000;53942New Channels Now Being Tested

1977-Bio HD
1978-BBC Am-HD
1979-AMC-HD
1980- Fox Business News-HD
1981-Outdoor Channel-HD

I'll bet guide placement in the grid could be by next week!

Jack

Thank you!

Jack 1000

Quote from: Jack 1000;53942New Channels Now Being Tested

1977-Bio HD
1978-BBC Am-HD
1979-AMC-HD
1980- Fox Business News-HD
1981-Outdoor Channel-HD

I'll bet guide placement in the grid could be by next week!

Jack

Remember that the 1900's range is only a test mode for new channels.  You can only find them through searching in the listings,  test channels do not show up in the grid.  You SHOULD be able to record them by finding the channels in searches, provided you subscribe to the SD version of that channel.

However, those channel numbers will change when testing is done and become official in the grid.  This is when they really count as "additions."  Based on the SD placement of those stations these will eventually be the new locations of the channels.

Expect the change below sometime within 3-5 days of this writing.  The future guide placement for these channels coming soon should be:

1140 Bio-HD
1225-BBC America-HD
1277-AMC-HD
1330-Outdoor Channel-HD
1353-Fox Business News-HD

When the channels get added to the guide, (or when the 1900 range test channels disappear, same story) you go to the list above to see them.

Jack

Jack 1000

Quote from: Jack 1000;53960Remember that the 1900's range is only a test mode for new channels.  You can only find them through searching in the listings,  test channels do not show up in the grid.  You SHOULD be able to record them by finding the channels in searches, provided you subscribe to the SD version of that channel.

However, those channel numbers will change when testing is done and become official in the grid.  This is when they really count as "additions."  Based on the SD placement of those stations these will eventually be the new locations of the channels.

Expect the change below sometime within 3-5 days of this writing.  The future guide placement for these channels coming soon should be:

1140 Bio-HD
1225-BBC America-HD
1277-AMC-HD
1330-Outdoor Channel-HD
1353-Fox Business News-HD

When the channels get added to the guide, (or when the 1900 range test channels disappear, same story) you go to the list above to see them.

Jack

As of today, the first three new HD channels are in place:

1140 Bio-HD
1225-BBC America-HD
1277-AMC-HD

I would expect Outdoor Channel-HD and Fox Business News-HD in place before Monday.

I found those test mode 1900 stations by accident before I made this thread!  Note that sometimes the test channels will begin at 1901-1905.  Other times, like in the case of the last additions they started in the 1970's.  Up-arrowing may or may not work.  If it doesn't work, you'll have to enter each test channel individually.  Watch the 1901 range and 1970's range for new stations!

They still have EPSN U-HD, E!-HD, and Style-HD to do, probably early next month.  As well as Game TV-HD and Team-HD.

Maybe mods or admins might want to pin this thread!   That way, we can easily keep track of new channels coming out! (Since the TWC site's information is so outdated.)

Jack

wireblsam

Running out the door so hopefully someone can post the particulars, but saw 1982-1995 with new channels in test mode (Customer Care screen only) including Weather Channel, ESPN U, G4, NHL, NBA, etc.

wireblsam

Ok, here is the list...

1982 - Game HD
1983 - Team HD
1984 - NBATV HD
1985 - NHL Network HD
1986 - ESPNU HD
1987 - E! HD
1988 - Style HD
1989 - The Weather Channel HD
1990 - MSNBC HD
1991 - We HD
1992 - TV One HD
1993 - Planet Green HD
1994 - G4 HD
1995 - IFC HD

gparris

These are just place holders for now, but a nice way of TWC Wisconsin to say that more is coming... thank you.:D

Jack 1000

TEST MODE CHANNELS

1980-  Fox Business Network HD *
1981-  Outdoor HD *
1982 - Game HD
1983 - Team HD
1984 - NBATV HD
1985 - NHL Network HD*
1986 - ESPNU HD*
1987 - E! HD*
1988 - Style HD*
1989 - The Weather Channel HD*
1990 - MSNBC HD
1991 - We HD*
1992 - TV One HD*
1993 - Planet Green HD*
1994 - G4 HD*
1995 - IFC HD

As of today November 30, 2009.  The star (*) indicates the channel is now viewable in test mode.

Jack

Jack 1000

Quote from: Jack 1000;54039TEST MODE CHANNELS

1980-  Fox Business Network HD *
1981-  Outdoor HD *
1982 - Game HD
1983 - Team HD
1984 - NBATV HD
1985 - NHL Network HD*
1986 - ESPNU HD*
1987 - E! HD*
1988 - Style HD*
1989 - The Weather Channel HD*
1990 - MSNBC HD
1991 - We HD*
1992 - TV One HD*
1993 - Planet Green HD*
1994 - G4 HD*
1995 - IFC HD

As of today November 30, 2009.  The star (*) indicates the channel is now viewable in test mode.

Jack

December 3, 2009.

Today, the above channels are now active in their regular positions on the guide.  Just add a "1" to the Standard Definition channel number to find its new HD counterpart.

Jack

gparris

Quote from: Jack 1000;54072December 3, 2009.

Today, the above channels are now active in their regular positions on the guide.  Just add a "1" to the Standard Definition channel number to find its new HD counterpart.

Jack

These are there, but not all are active, I just tried Weather Channel HD and Planet Green HD and these didn't work yet.:(

Jack 1000

Quote from: gparris;54084These are there, but not all are active, I just tried Weather Channel HD and Planet Green HD and these didn't work yet.:(

They worked for me last night and this morning.  There might be some brief moments for the first couple of days of channel not available bugs until they downloaded are into all service nods.  But at least for my box, they came in and they all look great!!!

In fact, somewhere in the 1900's I think even starting on 1900, which now wasn't even a Diagnostic channel, they had placeholders for most if not all the remaining stations.  I can't remember what they all were, but I know I saw placeholder notices for HBO 2-HD and The Tennis Channel-HD.  So, probably in about a week those will be in test mode and the week after that moved to regular stations.

Jack