News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

CBS58 vs. DirectTV

Started by madsdad, Tuesday Oct 16, 2007, 08:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brewguru

Yes, so did I. I'm so glad they don't black out the HiDef Channels like they did with the regular Sunday Ticket Package.

I think we all should flood her e-mail until something gets resolved with this. Her e-mail is: cgrotelueschen@cbs58.com . Her name is Christine and she's the office manager.

steve053

Quote from: brewguru;42165......I think we all should flood her e-mail until something gets resolved with this. Her e-mail is: cgrotelueschen@cbs58.com . Her name is Christine and she's the office manager.

And e-mailing a secretary will accomplish what? :huh?:

brewguru

I've worked in plenty of offices and sold to a lot of companies. Office managers (PC for secretary, yes) have more power than you would think. If she keeps getting e-mails like this, you think she's not going to tell anyone?

klwillis45

Why bother her if you know who's at the top. (I don't)
 It's not like the head honchos email addy will be tough to figure out. dboss@cbs58.com

Jack 1000

Can you get at least a CBS national station on Direct TV?

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

gparris

Some forum members here actually got "lucky" and get CBSHD in NYC, while most are disallowed for some insane reason.

I would think everyone should get waivers and then CBS58 would get its head on straight with Directv and get the HD signal to its subscribers/viewers.
CBSHD in NYC watching reduces the viewership CBS58 needs to sell to its advertisers and with waivers, it might create some push to negotiation on both sides to get it done.

Tom Snyder

Jim Hall is where the buck stops at CBS58. He comes here often (Hi Jim :wave: ).  I'm not sticking up for him, just adding some perspective.

He knows that we're not happy that 58HD isn't on DirecTV. We can complain all we want, but there are other factors that we know nothing about that play into that negotiation that are eminently more important to his long term business strategy than doing a bad deal because we're complaining. He's simply executing his business plan and negotiating his carriage deal with DirecTV, and granting waivers hurts his negotiating position. Keep in mind that it's not just 58... it's also DirecTV...So it will happen when they come to a deal on terms that are acceptable to both parties.

In the article in today's Business Journal, he states that they're budgeting for HD local news. The deal will get done.. I'm guessing once DirecTV has the satellite bandwidth to carry all the Milwaukee area signals, we'll see 58 in HD (along with 41,49 and 63).

In the meantime, my little OTA antenna hidden on top of my media closet picks up 58 for me just fine.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

brewguru

Tom,

With all the new HD channels on Direct TV, don't they have the bandwidth NOW to handle CBS HiDef? I mean, other cities have 4 (or more) local channels in HiDef so I don't think that's a valid excuse.

vegasvic

It's amazing that Channel 58 doesn't have it in their "business plan" to do a "bad deal".  4,6 and 12 (all much more successful than 58) have managed to be happy with the deal they struck with DTV.

Talos4

Quote from: brewguru;42287Tom,

With all the new HD channels on Direct TV, don't they have the bandwidth NOW to handle CBS HiDef? I mean, other cities have 4 (or more) local channels in HiDef so I don't think that's a valid excuse.

Actually the new HD channels are coming from the new bird Directv10,the majority of the coverage is CONUS. with many RNS's also included in it's coverage.  I believe there may be a smattering of LIL's thrown in, BUT!!! I'm not sure about that.  

D11 is scheduled to the workhorse for LIL's across the country.  It is scheduled to launch sometime in the first quarter of 08, likely sometime in January.

Tom Snyder

Yeah.. the majority of new local HD will be coming from the new bird, but even now it's more than just making room for 58.

And as far as equality on the deals, 4, 6 and 12 don't each own a bunch of other lower power stations that they're trying to get D* to carry as a condition of the package. As I recall, that was one of the sticking points with 58 and TWC.  

I have no "insider" information, but I'd bet that 41,49 and 63 have something to do with it.  Until D* has spot beam capabilities to carry every digital channel in this market, I don't see Jim caving on 58 short term and hoping that they'll carry 41,49 and 63 when they have enough bandwidth. I think he's going all or nothing.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

vegasvic

Quote from: Tom Snyder;42301Yeah.. the majority of new local HD will be coming from the new bird, but even now it's more than just making room for 58.

And as far as equality on the deals, 4, 6 and 12 don't each own a bunch of other lower power stations that they're trying to get D* to carry as a condition of the package. As I recall, that was one of the sticking points with 58 and TWC.  

I have no "insider" information, but I'd bet that 41,49 and 63 have something to do with it.  Until D* has spot beam capabilities to carry every digital channel in this market, I don't see Jim caving on 58 short term and hoping that they'll carry 41,49 and 63 when they have enough bandwidth. I think he's going all or nothing.

I think you're probably right.  What a waste.  Why not just have them carry 58 now and the rest next year.  He can't work out that deal?  Instead he holds out for 3 crappy channels no one cares about.  

But they are thinking about an HD newscast.  Maybe that will push their 10 p.m. news past The Simpsons reruns.  But I doubt it. Crappy programming in HD is still crappy programming.

vegasvic

Why would Jim make  a stink about Channel 41 being in HD?  Three Stooges in HD? Bewitched? I Love Lucy?

Blitzburgh

Quote from: vegasvic;42320Why would Jim make  a stink about Channel 41 being in HD?  Three Stooges in HD? Bewitched? I Love Lucy?

I think they are talking about having DTV carry them period.

vegasvic