News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New U-Verse HD channels

Started by TPK, Wednesday Mar 19, 2008, 09:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TPK

On the programming update channel (1100) I noticed that they will be adding 3 new HBO HD channels..

1804 - HBO2
1805 - HBO Family
1809 - HBO Comedy

Says they will be launching "3/31/08 or 4/7/08"..  So of course I am quite happy about that...

Of course the channels require the $10 "HD Technology Fee" as well as an HBO package (which, of course, I already have)...

I wonder if these are those new mpeg-4 sourced channels that I read about earlier, where HBO will require the cablecos not try to compress them further...

If that is the case then I imagine that these channels should be of somewhat high quality since U-Verse will be forced to re-broadcast these channels just as they recieve it (meaning that my box will receive the channel exactly as HBO broadcasts it, which is what I thought digital television is supposed to be all about anyway)....

tbest1797

I'm growing more and more irritated with the lack of HD additions.  I thought it would be great since U-Verse shouldn't be restricted by bandwidth like TWC.  In the year I've had them, they've added what 10 channels or so.  I really want Direct TV but I'm waiting for this Media Center PC tuner that may never come.  I don't want to pay for the install and equipment and then possibly have get rewired to accomodate the PC tuner setup that I want a few months later.  Is it too much to ask to get Sci Fi HD before the 4th season of Galactica starts?  On a positive note, I loved having BTN HD to watch the Badgers this season.

Tom

TPK

Quote from: tbest1797;45246I'm growing more and more irritated with the lack of HD additions.  I thought it would be great since U-Verse shouldn't be restricted by bandwidth like TWC.  In the year I've had them, they've added what 10 channels or so.  I really want Direct TV but I'm waiting for this Media Center PC tuner that may never come.  I don't want to pay for the install and equipment and then possibly have get rewired to accomodate the PC tuner setup that I want a few months later.  Is it too much to ask to get Sci Fi HD before the 4th season of Galactica starts?  On a positive note, I loved having BTN HD to watch the Badgers this season.

Tom

I don't think U-Verse is doing that badly in adding HD channels...  Of course more would be better, but as long as they keep adding them in from time to time and at least ATTEMPT to keep up with Direct-TV then I will be happy...

Of course some of these channels look downright awful for HD..   I have no idea if its because of the channel source broadcast or if its due to U-Verse re-compression...

Ever watch the same show on Discovery HD Theater and then later on Discovery HD??   Its like night and day....

For what its worth (and its probably not worth much), I have read in several places that Sci-FI HD (along with CNBC, USA Network, and Bravo) will be next, and are just around the corner...

Of course 2-HD streams and bundled VOIP phone service and whole-home DVR have been just around the corner too....  But at least, I think, adding channels would be easier than adding those features/services...

picopir8

I too think uverse has done a pretty good job with HD additions.  I think they had about twice as many HD channels as TWC when I switched (and at that time TWC had a few more than D*).  Ever since then they have steadily been adding both SD and HD channels.  

The last time I counted, Uverse offered about 45 HD channels.  While that may not be as much as D*, Uverse costs significantly less, they do not downres the picture like D*, they have a solid video on demand service that (unlike D* which slows your internet connection), the ability to program your DVR over the web, and within a few weeks we should have whole house DVR access (watch a recorded movie on any TV in the house).

Not to mention, the service has so far been much more reliable than either D* or TWC.  Not bad for a service that launched only a year ago.