News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Finally making the jump

Started by ddeerrff, Tuesday Dec 01, 2009, 11:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddeerrff

New HDTV for Christmas.  

Currently have only an analog package from TWC (basic + standard) feeding three NTSC TVs.  No set top boxes.  

What I expect to do is to go to digital service on my cable subscription and use an STB on the new HDTV only - leaving the old TVs to the analog feed.  I *assume* when you switch to digital, the analog signal still exists on the cable.

Any 'inside' info I should know to get the best results in the transition?  Specific STB to ask for?  I'm used to turning on the TV, adjusting the volume, and changing channels.  You guys seem like you can work magic on these STBs - I guess I will have to learn a few tricks.  

Programming packages from TWC?  The website is confusing as to what makes up what package.  We're not big into sports, so don't need a sports package.  Wife likes movies, but not necessarily the latest releases - more likely to enjoy AMC/Hallmark/LMN/TCM ect than HBO.  I enjoy the 'science' related channels - NGC/Hist/Disc/SyFy.  We both enjoy FoodNetwork.  Obviously, we'd like as much of this as possible in HD.

May start looking into DirectTV and Dish, but for now I'm going to stay with the devil I know.

Jack 1000

Quote from: ddeerrff;54050New HDTV for Christmas.  

Currently have only an analog package from TWC (basic + standard) feeding three NTSC TVs.  No set top boxes.  

What I expect to do is to go to digital service on my cable subscription and use an STB on the new HDTV only - leaving the old TVs to the analog feed.  I *assume* when you switch to digital, the analog signal still exists on the cable.

Any 'inside' info I should know to get the best results in the transition?  Specific STB to ask for?  I'm used to turning on the TV, adjusting the volume, and changing channels.  You guys seem like you can work magic on these STBs - I guess I will have to learn a few tricks.  

Programming packages from TWC?  The website is confusing as to what makes up what package.  We're not big into sports, so don't need a sports package.  Wife likes movies, but not necessarily the latest releases - more likely to enjoy AMC/Hallmark/LMN/TCM ect than HBO.  I enjoy the 'science' related channels - NGC/Hist/Disc/SyFy.  We both enjoy FoodNetwork.  Obviously, we'd like as much of this as possible in HD.

May start looking into DirectTV and Dish, but for now I'm going to stay with the devil I know.

For the basics, (Your new HDTV)

You will need either an HDMI cable, which is USUALLY NOT provided with your TV for the best picture.  You could also use Component Cables for HD.  S-Video and Coaxial Cables will not give you an HD picture.  You can pick up an HDMI cable for about $15 as any electronics store.

Do you want a DVR?

The package that most take drom TWC is called the Digital Variety Package, which should suit your needs.  This is the recommended package for Digital Subscribers from TWC.  If you want older movies in a Premium Channel Package, for about $6-$7 more a month, you could get the Encore Movie Package.  This is older movies from the 60's-80's.  The basic Encore channel  is going to have an HD equivalent by the end of the month according to TWC's new services.

I would not recommend the Digital Choice Package.  It is only 5 additional stations at $5.00 extra a month, IMO a rip-off.  You said you don't need sports so you don't need the $5.00 a month extra sports package.  (About 7 or 8 stations there.  I also would say no to the HD Premium Package.  Again, it is $5.00 more per month for about 5 useless channels.

I'd set up your services with the Digital Variety Package and maybe the Encore Movie Package.  Ask about any other discounts or specials that they might give you.  Remember that they WILL NOT give you notice when those services expire, so write down and or store on your computer how long you have any promotional stuff and save it.  Than when your promotional rate is about to expire, just call and get a new deal based on what services you like.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

ddeerrff

Thanks Jack.  Don't know about DVR - we use our old VCR on occasion, but it's not something we would miss.  With the greater amount of programming available, perhaps that would change.  

When trying to look at channel lineups on http://www.timewarnercable.com/wisconsin/support/clu/clu.ashx?CLUID=78&Image1=&Zip=53005, I assume I need to select at least 'Basic', 'Standard', and 'Digital Access'.  After that adding 'HD' looks like it bring in everything I would need.  The programming shown under 'Digital Variety' that I would be interested in seems to be duplicated as HD feeds under the 'HD' option.

So is it correct that I must select at least 'Basic', 'Standard', and 'Digital'?  And then I could simply add 'HD' to that?

And I've seen numerous STBs mentioned.  Does TWC offer more than one variety?  If so, which one seems to be the current best option?  Is it a different STB with and without the DVR option?

Thank you for the guidance.  

Derf

Jack 1000

Quote from: ddeerrff;54058Thanks Jack.  Don't know about DVR - we use our old VCR on occasion, but it's not something we would miss.  With the greater amount of programming available, perhaps that would change.  

When trying to look at channel lineups on http://www.timewarnercable.com/wisconsin/support/clu/clu.ashx?CLUID=78&Image1=&Zip=53005, I assume I need to select at least 'Basic', 'Standard', and 'Digital Access'.  After that adding 'HD' looks like it bring in everything I would need.  The programming shown under 'Digital Variety' that I would be interested in seems to be duplicated as HD feeds under the 'HD' option.

So is it correct that I must select at least 'Basic', 'Standard', and 'Digital'?  And then I could simply add 'HD' to that?

And I've seen numerous STBs mentioned.  Does TWC offer more than one variety?  If so, which one seems to be the current best option?  Is it a different STB with and without the DVR option?

Thank you for the guidance.  

Derf

As for levels of service, Digital Variety (Formally Digital Standard) Package includes basic/standard cable service.  It's the package that makes Digital Cable give you the best selection of channels Digital Variety gives you everything on the Digital Tier except Digital Choice, HD Premiums, Digital Sports, or Premium movies.

Broadcast and Standard Cable and all HD channels that do not require an optional service to the base channel are a part of the Digital Variety Package.

The newest HD box (non-DVR) is the Samsung 3050HD.  Here is a link to it:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/wisconsin/site.faqs/Equipmenta/DigitalCab/Samsung-3050HD

If you get an Scientific Atlanta box, DO NOT get a box that is below 3000 in its model number.  These boxes are slow and often do not have the memory to run the new Navigator cable guide well.  I would recommend the SA-4240 HDC shown below:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/wisconsin/site.faqs/Equipmenta/DigitalCab/Explorer-4240HDC4250HDC

Both run the same software.

If you get an HDMI cable connection, you MAY HAVE TO USE COMPONENT CABLES TO RECORD ON YOUR OLD VCR.  The very old VCR's often do not know how to compress HDMI signals for recording to VCR'S.  Playback of pre-recorded material should be fine.  I would still pay the extra $8.50 a month and STRONGLY would suggest an HD DVR box.

For a DVR box, get a model ABOVE 8000.  I would recommend either the SA-8240 HDC or the SA-8300 HDC:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/wisconsin/site.faqs/Equipmenta/DigitalCab/Explorer-8240HDC8300HDC-DVR

I don't have a local link to the new Samsung HD DVR's but the 3090 is the newest HD DVR and I think it is the only Samsung DVR that our division has.  There is a Samsung 3270 out there that has a bigger hard drive but does not have picture in a picture on it.

When you call TWC and ask for a new installation and package set up, they can help you with this.  After you get your HDTV and HDMI cable call and say you want the Digital Variety Tier.  Yes I would take the HD DVR, either the SA-8240 HDC or SA-8300HDC. or the Samsung 3090 HD box.  One you have DVR service, you will NEVER want to use your VCR again!

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

ddeerrff

Thank you Jack.  That covers everything I wanted to know.